1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Aggressive drivers and their large vehicles

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jul 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I have always driven compact sized vehicles. I like the better gas mileage that I usually get from them as well as ease of parking in small areas.

With that being said, I feel that their is a direct correlation between aggressive type driving and possible road rage when drivers us rather large vehicles.

Let's face it, how many times have you seen an aggressive type driver driving a sub compact car? Recently, it occurred to me that people who drive the huge type vehicles are more prone to drive more aggressively than drivers using smaller vehicles.

I am surely aware that there are numerous large vehicle drivers out there that drive safely and not aggressively in nature. On the other hand, I do believe that the larger the vehicle, one might possibly feel that they rule the road.

What do you think?
    Steve Balistreri

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Hummers have Toyotas in their stool.

HM

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Senior smoke,

I have to disagree 100% with you on this one.

I bought the biggest car I could afford (Ford Expedition) - First, I carry a lot of tools, etc. for work. Two, I often haul a group of people around (to shoots, for school related issues, etc.). Three, I often haul a trailer. There is snow where I live so a 4X4 was a must.

One truck does it all.

I net over 24 MPG on the highway so I think I get decent fuel economy (wish it were better in town).

I often see the small cars as you describe going well under the speed limit (the squirrels can only give so much), and hence blocking traffic - which is illegal in my state. This is the car that typically is hesitant to pull into trafic, and when it finally does it does so right infront of traffic rather than waiting for it to pass, so yes, they might get a horn blast for their inconsiderate (and dangerous) act.

Recent data shows women are much more likely to be the 'road ragers' - what car is most typical for them - perhaps a mini-van??

Food for thought...

4. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

I think you have too much time on your hands..........

5. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Senior Smoke, I love your thought provoking threads, even if you do have too much time to think on your hands.

But on this one, at least in sunny CA where I live, it generally would be small "rice rockets" I call them that are really aggressive to the point of not being safe often. They will shoot in and out of traffic...often at speeds well in excess of 70 MPH which is pretty much the norm on any given afternoon in California...posted 65 or otherwise.

Any small Honda or Acura, and some of the new Korean models are getting into the fun as well. Most often they have an exhaust pipe the size of a diesel.

6. senior smoke

Hslds:
    You bring up some good points. I was unaware that a vehicle that large gets that good of gas mileage.
    Steve

Halfmile:
    LOL
    Steve

Ken1okie:
    I agree with you, especially as I am home recooperating from surgery.
    Steve

Didreckson:
    I have never driven in California. Here in Milwaukee, I drive a small Focus and my wife says that I drive like I am in a funeral procession. She says all I need is a flag and I should drive with my lights on.
    Steve

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Aggressive drivers drive all sizes of vehicles

Some get in their cars and think they are in some kind of force field, and nothing can hurt them

My wife and I both drive Ford super duties, as we use them for work and here on the farm, I would like to get a small car, but at 6'5" and 330 lbs it isn't a good fit, I would need a forklift to pick me up when I wanted out of it

8. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Well the three rice-eaters that have those stupid large-port mufflers came flying by a few days back having their own version of the gumball ralley on the freeway....in fact most of the darters I have encountered lately have been small cars.

GS

9. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Having driven both compact cars and large SUV' I find I am more likely to be cut off by a compact car and I have noticed the worst drivers in all sizes have either a Lexus or BMW nameplate on their cars.

Flame on!

10. warren

warren Member

What really gets me is the driver of a large RV who thinks he's driving a small compact and tries to dart in and out of traffic like he's in one, that's not just aggresive it's Stupid with a capital S.

warren

11. senior smoke

I honestly thought a lot of you would agree with me, obviously not. Warren brings up a good point though. The reason I thought someone in a larger vehicle would be more aggressive in general driving is because they would feel more secure in the large vehicle should they get into an accident.

Sometimes when I see an unsafe driver, regardless what they are driving I always wish that the police were around. A few months back my wife and I were driving from Madison to Milwaukee and a teenage kid in an Audi past us up as it looked like he was going 100mph.

As he past us, I told my wife that I wish a cop could see him. A few miles down, guess who was pulled over, the same kid. Going that fast in a 65 mph zone, he should have been arrested.

In Wisconsin, we have a fairly new law. If a cop has a car pulled over to the right, you are suppose to move to the next lane over to your left. We have had some accidents were police were struck reason for the new law. Still, some people don't abide, maybe they don't know yet about the new law.
    Steve

12. Catpower

Steve a while ago I was going towards Dallas from Ft Worth on I 20 and went past a Mercedes that was pulled over getting a ticket, a few minutes later he flew by me like I was standing still, and I was going about 70, a few minutes later the same Mercedes was pulled over by a different cities cop getting another ticket

He sure must have been in a hurry

13. senior smoke

Catpower:
    That's amazing that someone would do that. Wonder what the ticket amount goes up to for a second ticket in the same day?
    Steve

14. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Aggressive?

I am thinking of having a big snow plow attached to my SUV so that I can punt those silly little cars that drive 10 mph below the speed limit, over into the bushes!

15. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I like Canada's law. Between 30-35mph over the speed limit. Automatic car impoundment and license suspension...........Period.

GS

16. Catpower

Midalake if they did that in Texas, the roads would be empty, they all have lead feet here

17. Catpower

Steve I doubt if it went up as it was in two different jurisdictions, but some of the cities have real high fines, once I was going trough a small town and was on the outskirts where it speed limit was 30 I didn't know what the speed limits was but i was out of town but was going 46 MPH, I got got nailed and asked the cop what the fine was he said he didn't know (yeah right) if it was 15 mph or under the fine was $75, 16 over it went to $275 plus $100 court costs

I took defensive driving and got it off my record and had to pay court costs

It was the only ticket I had gotten in a long time, but when I was younger, I was a slow learner

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Give me a break.

Yes, we do have some mouthbreathers with bulging veins who drive their Superduty F350 like demolition derby contestents.

But for every one of these jackoffs there are at least a half a dozen Jolt Cola or latte addicted pinheads with their hats on backwards driving their rice burners with megasuperannoyingstereosystems like they went to the Muammar Gaddafi School of Driving.

Then there are the clueless college girls who drive in the passing lane putting on makeup or curling their hair while steering with their knees.

And the icing on the cake. The Toyota Prius owners (I call them Pious owners) or the occasional antique VW hippy van driving 15 mph under the speed limit to make the batteries run as long as possible before the engine kicks in.

So let's keep it in perspective.

19. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Senior Smoke wrote:

"Here in Milwaukee, I drive a small Focus and my wife says that I drive like I am in a funeral procession. She says all I need is a flag and I should drive with my lights on. Steve"

No wonder you see most drivers as aggresive. You're the cause because of your slow speed holding up the normal flow of traffic. I bet you drive at or under the posted speed limit.

Eric

20. senior smoke

Eric:
    I'm old, legally blind, drive with my oxygen tank next to me. I have a governor on my car that is set at 30 miles per hour. (just kidding), but I try to obey the speed limits.
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.