1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AGENT ORANGE VA BENEFITS

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by R.Kipling, Jul 2, 2013.

1. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Jon,

The issues you expose here have always been of great pain to me, personally. I am at a total loss as to how anyone can justify taking undue, or ill-gotten gain from those that have given blood and limb. Considering all those that are still in desperate need from honorable service, it takes a monster character flaw.

Semper Fi,
    Kip

2. beeper

beeper Member

JONO2.. You need to go online and register for the AO physical, then take the physical. At this time there are about 6 presumptive AO conditions. I am diabetic and cannot control it by diet and it's not in my family. I get 20% from the VA and they treat the condition for free. Agent Orange is NOTHING to take for granted and IMO it tends to show up more regularly as you get older. One of the reasons that the VA is swamped with claims today is because of all the AO problems with us Viet Nam Vets. I had a very close Marine friend who served 2 tours literally get eaten up by cancer about a year ago. The VA hospitals are filled with AO vets. Good luck.

beeper

3. cafowler

cafowler Member

Jon,

You say that you "had no obvious harm done to you". Unless you're a doctor, I think you made the best point for going to get checked out, you don't know what may be a problem, only the doctors do. I understand this AO exposure can affect you in so many different ways, you may not be aware of the damages until it's too late. I shoot with a friend who is the last guy you'd ever expect to have diabetes. He lost all his toes on one foot last fall. He's suffered one condition after another the last 5 years. It was only after he explaind his exposure in the belly of the planes cleaning the AO out, he got their attention and full support looking at all things that ailed him. In his case, the fact he was around this stuff is what it took to make sure the VA doc's really looked after him. In his case, this was the flag for them to give him the attention he needed. I can't emphasize how important it is to get the AO physical they talk about, it really is important.

Hope you don't delay in making an appt. to get this AO physical and talk in more depth of what your position was in RVN, the areas you served in, etc. That talk with the doctors is important to have sooner than later. This is too easy to put off, and more important to do now as once something "obvious" pops up it may be too late.

Good luck, and thanks for your service.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Beeper- I think there are actually 16 presumptive conditions but of course that changes- and then there are birth defects in children also

Now Jono- what you describe cannot be the case with your roomate-- there is no disability payment for agent orange exposure-- you dont have the facts right in his case

Jono if you graduated from the Naval Academy, I cant tell from your post, then they can also direct you to the right resources.

Also they ( the VA) for Navy on ships- actually recognize exposure by ship name and date you were assigned on that ship. Most ships are not rated.

Just because you were exposed doesnt mean you get rated for anything unless you have that condition now and you still have to prove it was related to military service

They pay or give a disability rating ( some are non compensated but allow treatment at VA) for conditions that are listed as presumptive, that you have now and skip the test of the claimant having to prove his ailmants are related to military service.

Presumption for certain conditions is very rare but Agent Orange is an example of presumption--- Presumption means that you do not have to prove that your disability or condition started in the military

For example hearing loss-- If your exit physical shows you had normal hearing when you left- you wont be rated for hearing loss-- it occurred somewhere else-unless you can prove otherwise.

There are litterally hundreds of thousand of pages of rules and court cases on all of this stuff.

Now the advice given about getting a free physical is great advice- go do that and let them screen you for everythig you might have wrong.

Just realize if your roomate is getting compensation ( and he may not be) it is only because he has a condition that the VA has rated him for. , agent orange presumption or otherwise.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

PS -- if you were in country, on designated ships between certain dates or in specified units in Korea during specified periods you are deemed to have been exposed to Agent Orange- you dont have you prove that even though you might never had had a whiff or a touch of it.

5. beeper

beeper Member

JONO2.. Gene is partially correct. The presumptive list has been held back from growing delibertly by the DoD over the years. They didn't admit to using AO in the Korean DMZ in 1968 until 2003! However, it is my understanding that even though you may not have a presumptive condition, you may be qualified for 20%. Your state should have a local VA Rep. that you can talk to. Do alittle research and find out who that is. In the meantime, file the AO register on-line and get a physical asap. Good luck!

beeper

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Beeper you are wrong- urban legend- merely being in country or even mere exposure gets you nothing-- think about it? Why would it? If there isnt anything wrong with you, why would you expect compensation?

BTW for everyone---- most of these conditions you do not want, the presumptive agent orange conditions.

This is why people are frustrated- they believe these word of mouth rumors - urban legends and think the VA is not treating them fairly.

Jono- he could have told you he was getting compensation for exposure- you just didnt know the details of his conditions and rather than be bitter about it, just ask him. Communication requres that words be exchanged.

Jono to your case in point though, if in doubt that you are being treated fairly then file a new claim. Have an advocate such as the VFW or a county representitive help you understand and file the appropriate claim, or if you are denied and then appeal consider an attorney to help you.

There are other benefits besides direct disability compensation and they include VA medical treatment but they may also include a monthly DIC payment should you die of one of these conditions to your spouse.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

7. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Save yourself from hearsay and just click the above link. Browse the links and see for yourself what the V.A. has to say .....

Don T. Littleton CO

8. beeper

beeper Member

Through out all of this crap, there is one absolute piece of advise that I gave him and that is to go on-line and get on the AO registry and schedule an exam!

beeper

9. stilltrying

stilltrying Member

I know guys that use PTSD from Nam now to get a disability from the Army to use as their retirement plan. I had exposure to AO and had it check out by the VA in the early 70's. I never took a dime from the class action and hope I live to be 100. I do know guys that died years ago from cancer from that stuff.

10. beeper

beeper Member

If you get on the AO Registry and have the VA physical, it would be a smart idea that you get VA check ups plus blood work regularly. The cancer and other presumptive conditions can sneak up on you and hibernate, dormant, in your body without showing itself. Before you know it you end up like my good Marine friend, diagnosed with prostrate cancer and dead in 6 months.

beeper