1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Age to Spay Puppy?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by OldGoat, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Experienced dog owners: When should a female golden retriever puppy be spayed? ... before OR after she has her first "season". Our last dog - black lab - was either spayed too early or something else went wrong - she had a urinary "leaking" problem the rest of her life (controlled by daily medication). Don't want to go through this again. Our vet says if you spay before the first season, you run the risk of leaking and back/hip problems in the future because estrogen is no longer allowing the dog to fully mature. If you wait until after the first season, you run the risk of mammary cancer problems. Seemed like he was in favor of waiting until after. What do experienced dog owners say? Best Regards, Ed

2. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I am going thru the problems you discuss presently. I have a 14 yr old female that I never had altered. She now has mammary gland tumors. I have a 3 yr old female that I had altered before her first season and she has the "Leakage" problems. The vet wants $1000.00 to do surgery. If I had it to do over, I would wait until the first season was over and then have the dog altered.

JON

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

No expert but we were always advised to permit the dog to experience one season before spaying.....Bob Dodd

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I agree with Bob Dodd... give the female at least one 'season' and then spay. The female seems to be more mature if you wait. Check with your vet. Fred

5. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

I have had two Labs done before their first cycle with no issues. The Eldest died at 13 years, but not from mammary gland problems. The other is only four now. I have a Chocolate than is a rescue dog and she has had occasional leaking issues. She is about five now.

I guess the answer is, I don't know. Talk to more than one Vet and maybe several Lab trainer/breeders. It is not a cut and dried answer.

Good luck with your decision.

HBT

6. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

My Vet recommended that enough time elapse for the dog to develop it's adult teeth. The reason given was that if problems develop with the teeth they can be fixed while the dog is undergoing anesthesia for the spay which is a real cost saver. Approximately 6 months should be long enough.

Robert

7. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

All: thanks for the replies! Our vet is a very well-recognized and experienced breeder. Yes, I need to have additional discussion with him...he seemed to favor waiting until after the first season. Looking over the websites (Google "spaying") the main theme seems to say "before". Will have further discussions with him. Thanks, again. Ed

8. t-bar

t-bar Member

I worked for a Vet several years. We recommended spay or neuter at 6 months.

tbar

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

NEW: I had a chat with a Vet this afternoon who shares my trap, skeet, and sporting squads with me. He said there is no longer the opinion that the animal should have a season before spaying and that some will do a dog as early as 3 months. He is of the opinion that waiting till around 9 months is soon enough and involving no unnecessary wait......Bob Dodd

10. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

After her first season is when we get our done with no problems. The google search probably says before the first season so there are no unwanted puppies if the female is free running.

11. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I've had the same vet for thirty years and my third lab, we just had her spayed 6 weeks ago it was after her first time in season. SHe had as he predicited a false pregnancy but she's fine. He did our other females after they went through one season. The other two females that we had lived till 13 with no problems.

12. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I agree to discuss this completely with your vet. I breed cavaliers, not good for hunting but great companions. With this breed I have seen no problems with a spay before the first cycle and I usually recommend doing that. The biggest reason is to avoid the hormonal changes that occur after the first cycle. I notice two things after the first, the bitch is much more mature and you start getting what I call cycle coat, i.e. shedding. For those that have been spayed, a heavier coat and a slower dog to fully mature. They seem to stay in puppy mode longer.

I would also urge you to contact a breeder you trust for an opinion.
    Hal Hitchcock

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.