1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

age question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slayer, Sep 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I started shooting trap on a regular basis when I was in my 40's. Through the years I have, with some setbacks, gradually improved. With different guns and some valuable instruction I have enjoyed some modest success in the sport. This was one of my best years. Today I turn 59 and it's sort of on my mind: When does age really start to catch up to most guys [or gals] in this sport? For the older shooters, when did you really start to notice a decline in your skills due to age? Thanks for your kind replies. Bill

2. Donm

Donm Active Member

I just turned 62 in July. I have made the mens All State team for the last atleast four years. I had my highest handicap ave ever in 2011, around 93% from the 27. This year I had a tought one in all three events. Is that a decline due to age. We'll see in the next few years.

3. warren

warren Member

Mine started about 5 years ago, I'm 79, with my eyes. My right eye weakened dramatically and I started crossfiring badley and didn't know what I was doing. I finally went to a Kiner Clinic and he showed me what I was doing, my averages went from about a 94 in singles to low 80,s. Since then I've come back a lot but still have the problems. The Senior Vet class is a well thought out move.

warren

4. johnpe

johnpe Member

I'm 73 and while I don't shoot much trap anymore, I shoot sporting clays several days a week, but I don't shoot registered targets. I find that sporting clays is much more demanding than trap if you only shoot true pair, the tough courses, and shoot whatever guns and gauges you have in the safe. Whatever happens, you can shoot very well at least to this age. I have noticed a fall off in ability in the last two years, but that's probably in my head since when the chips are down, I can bring it together, choose one of my go-to guns, and post a decent score.

Johnpe

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Eyesight is usually going to be the biggest factor with age. That can vary greatly between individuals. Mine started going at 40. Never realized how bad my sight had become until I went to the eye doctor. What a difference from shooting at an orange blur, to shooting at an orange clay target. My eyes have become worse since then, and I can tell I need a new prescription, again.

6. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I have to agree about the vision going first. When I first started, I got my best scores with no glasses at all. I know, not safe. I did it only sparingly. Now I have to use prescription glasses to even see the bird, and anti glare helps. I have been shooting lately with a much higher hold to sort of get a jump on the bird. This probably points to a slower reflex to the shot. I guess the age slowdown is already happening, but I'm still bustin' em. thanks for the replies. Bill

7. FernieTrapGuy

FernieTrapGuy TS Member

Daro Handy at 72 is still smoking them with the best!

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Many of us notice the need for more light on the targets when we approach 60yo-me included. Shooting late in the day without the light behind me tends to make me want to cross-dominate. I realized I had a problem when Deer hunting at daybreak with #1 son. As he pointed out the location of several Deer near a local woods all I could say was "what Deer"?.

But with great light and under the lights at night I've only missed 3 targets of my last 400 Singles. That's not gonna continue!!

9. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

My shooting life changed in 1999 at the 100th anniversary Grand in Vandalia. The day I left I got gas and fell over in my van with a heart malfunction. Never been the same since even after two open hearts. I was 58 at the time. Shooting is strictly for fun ever since. No problem. I'm happy to even be able to shoot as well as I do.

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

When my eyes started going south. Overcast sky's, haze, a little fog, etc. means I can't see the targets. But, come October 2 and 21 I'll have the cataracts removed and the astigmatism corrected in each eye. The eye doc said the average age to have cataracts removed is 69. I'm 65, and the eye issues started about 5 years ago.

11. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Age is a state of mind. If you did not know your age, how old would you thnk you were?
    Clyde

12. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

North Carolina trapshooter JC Nunn turned 89 the 13th of July. On his birthday he broke a 97 in singles to win his class and a 95 in handicap to win SrVet at the Konne-Yaut Indian shoot at the Bradford PA Gun Club.
    Last weekend he broke a 95 to win the caps at our local shoot....

I just hope I can feel my finger at 89..

FRedmon

13. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

With me, I noticed a real decline around the age of 50, and I am now 65. Little by little my scores went down yearly. It truly shocks me to see shooters in their 70's and 80's still shooting well. I do believe these shooters have a lot more natural ability than I ever had.
    Steve Balistreri

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't know where the too old line in the sand is but trapshooting is like so many other persuits that we have - your physical best probably comes around age 19 and after that you use experience to counter the aging effects.

I guess the time to give it up is when you aren't having fun anymore. The actual scores and averages etc. aren't really what the game is about.

15. Hank Cross

Hank Cross Member

After 75, things got a bit more difficult.

Hank Cross

16. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Like others have said, vision is the key to good shooting. I have had some perfect weather and visibility days this year where my Handicap scores were better than they have been for a long time. I also have some Singles scores on the same day that were really a struggle with the crossfire demon raising its head especially on left angles. I keep working on style and technique and I think that at age 72 my style is better than it was 8 years ago when I had better vision. I used to really love pheasant hunting but I can't walk that far anymore so trapshooting is one remaining true enjoyment in life.

17. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I guess genetics has to be a major factor. I know people that are old at 45 and ones that are young at 65. My mother in law is 99 [NINETY NINE!!] and still keeps her own house, fries her own eggs etc.no b.s....Scary...Bill

18. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Two tough birds there Zard.

19. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I think as long as yo have a strong competitive desire and reasonable health you can shoot good scores well into your early 80's. You may not be as consistent as you once were but a really good score will pop out occasionally. I am 77, have had 4 joint replacements and am planning to shoot registered trap for many years to come....SMOKIT

20. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

@ 66 my singles & 'cap averages are pretty much the same as they have been for the past 35 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.