1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Age of shooters at your club

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by zzoom, Aug 4, 2013.

1. zzoom

zzoom Member

The vast majority of shooters at my club are in their late fifties to somewhere in the seventies. No regular shooters in the 20-40 age bracket. We do have a nice group of 4-h shooters and youth shooters from surrounding towns for our registered shoots, but mom and pop are footing the bill. Anyone see an abundance of young shooters or is trap a dieing sport? Sure hope not, have too much time and money invested!

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

The club I shoot at mostly these days has shooters of all ages.

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Most people can't afford it till they're 40-45 or later. Since the economy sucks, don't expect it to get any better.

Think about it. If a guy is 21 when he's married (and that seldom happens these days), his kids won't be out of high school till he's 39. Then add 4-5 years of college to pay for.

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ha ha! Some of the shooters are so old ... the only way to age date them is to cut off a leg and count the growth rings!

5. SuperTrap

SuperTrap Member

In our county scholastic league we have right around 200 young high school shooters and the numbers are growing. This is from just a small county too with great support and 7 trap fields.

6. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

There are no younger shooters- they don't have Civil Servant or Union pensions with full benefits, gas is $3.80/gal and they need to get to work, and lead is $38+/bag. What is the big mystery here,why do you think trapshooting is for retired has beens!

7. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

im 46 an considered young. 4h groups shoot, but kids are kids, and they chase other things when they get older. i support my club, but ATA events..... See other thread for that opinion.

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Don't know their individual ages, but the majority have gray hair.
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

9. Byrrrdmann

Byrrrdmann Member

A few weeks ago I shot with a squad of friends, I was the baby at 65! Tony Generose

10. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

About a month ago I shot at a club and I would guess I was the youngest one there by 10 years. I'm 54.

Joe

11. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

At our club in Amarillo, Texas, we have shooters of all ages. Yes, many are over 50, but we have many young people coming out to shoot all the time.

12. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately it's old & older.

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Most of the more serious shooting at our club (leagues, Lewis shoots, registered) is an older age group.

Casual shooting of open rounds, both skeet and trap are having younger shooters. I see lots of guys in their 20's bringing out their girl friends to shoot. In time I believe some of them will move to the more intense end of the games.

There is a definite decrease in overall shooting due to the economic downturn, and our league stats show it, but there is some new blood, and I don't think we will have to close the doors just yet,.

Component costs are high, and most of the new shooters are shooting Wally World shells. Makes the trash bins less attractive.

HM

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

99% of our members are over 55, most are in their 70's. We used to have a younger group but the economy changed that.

15. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

HM, funny line. I thought i was the only one picking thru the trash barrels. Some lady was passing by me when i was looking for good hulls in a bin one day. Her body langauge watching me do this was of disdain since she didnt understand what i was doing. So i pulled out a half eaten sandwhich, proclaimed 'wow a ham and swiss' and pretended to take a bite. You should of seen how quickly she turned and quickly left the area. My friends about crapped their pants laughing.