1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Age of Red Dot powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by revbook, May 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revbook

revbook Member

A generous friend of mine gave me some Red Dot powder that his father had to reload .45s. There are two 4 lb. containers and two 1 lb. containers. The containers are round "cans" made from cardboard and have a plastic pull up spout. All but one of the 4 lb. cans are still sealed. The printing on the containers list them as "Hercules Red Dot". I am sure the powder is still good but does anyone have a guess as to how old it is? The 4 lb. cans are stamped on top "RD537" and the 1 lb. cans are stamped "RD536" on the bottom.

Don

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

About 40 years old. HMB

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

ATK acquired Hercules propellants in 1995. The can of Hercules Unique in the background, is from the late 70's.

Wayne

[​IMG]

4. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

I had someone give me an unopened can of unique that was really old. I opened it and it smelled fine so I Loaded it up and it shot fine.

5. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

I had somebody give me an old 1 lb. cardboard can of Red Dot recently. It loaded and went bang as well as my new stuff. YMMV. Good luck.

6. revbook

revbook Member

Jason Hassler....you can tell if powder is old by the smell? What does old powder smell like?

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Enjoy it, if it smells really, really acrid it's bad.

You'll know it.

That being said, I've shot very old Unique and Bullseye without a hitch.

'bout the only thing that kills it is moisture...

8. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

if you are in doubt send it to me I can test it and make a decision for you, Most often all the testing consumes it,

let me know...

But really if you open the top and it burns your nostrils with stink throw it out, otherwise load it and shoot it

9. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

Yea bad powder will have an acidic smell.

10. ring3

ring3 Member

I also acquired about 10 pounds of Red Dot in a 15# paper like cylinder. The top was marked $49, 1975. No bad odor and looked fine. Some Reloaders on another site gave me the same advice you are getting here. I loaded a few and shot them Sat. They worked fine. On Sunday I loaded close to 2000 more.

Funny thing is I just bought 16#s of Clay Dot. Had planned on getting into it this weekend until the Red Dot came along. Since it shot well I figured it had aged enough and was time to use it up. Some of them will be going to the Buckeye with me.

Rob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

red dot powder age