1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Age of Hornady, Pacific 366

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shark1, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shark1

shark1 Member

Wondering when Pacific or Hornady started making the 366 press. I got one for 40 dollars (long story- Thanks UPS), but I have it in 20 gauge with 3 digit serial number. The patent is listed still as "pending", color of press is red. I did not call Hornady yet, but I know there are older shooters on this site who can answer this question. I would guess first year, when ever that started. Whats your guess/
    PS great press!

Michael Sharkey, DC

2. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

I bought one new back in 1976 and they were already out for a while at that time. Incidentally, I am still using that same press!

3. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

My first 12ga. turret progressive press was a 366 I bought in '74 new. Used it for a lot of years till I switched to a PW. Still have all the shot and powder bushings ... they are better made than the early PW ones. Other than the resizer was kind of funky, it made great shells. I ran into the guy I sold it to in Florida at the Southern Grand and he still is using it.

Bob

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

My first 366 was BLUE in color and purchased in 1971.. My one before that was called the Pacific 350.. but I traded it in for the "NEW" 366.. I think it came out in 1970..and was a vast improvement over the earlier model..

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have mostly Mec's but had the opportunity to purchase a 366 in 28ga at a real good deal so I bought it. Then ordered the insert to be able to use mec powder bushings but have never used it yet. I have a grabber that does a good job so have not broke it out yet. It is old but don't know how old, it has the old style primer feeder and is red. I offered to sell it to a friend for $150.00 and he thought that was too much so I'll just keep it. I have the original box and it has a date of 76 on it. Jackie B.

6. JLW

JLW TS Member

I was told by Hornady, "If the press is red, it's a Hornady, Blue is Pacific".

I guess to know the date of manuf. you need to call them.-J

7. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have a RED 366 which says "Pacific". I had it upgraded to an automatic shell eject which necessitated the replacement of the lower casting. The new lower casting says "Hornady".

This machine will last forever. The only parts I have ver replaced are the wad fingers and the primer foot - 2 inexpansive plastic parts. I always keep extras although they last for a number of years.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Mine was red and labeled Hornaday. I bought in in +- 1973. Good press but required a separate resizing operation for efficiency. It was a fine press, but after enough shells, it can be worn to the point where repairing it cost more than a new press. I was satisfied with the press but moved up to a PW. PW presses can also be worn out, I am on my second one.

Pat Ireland

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Pat.. other than the rear links and pins.. what have you worm out??? I too changed to P/W.. but loaded on the 366's for over 25 years.. As far as the sizer not likeing steel headed cases..which is solved with polishing the resizing rim with a craytex wheel.. and putting a little bevaon the front of the ring.. I found them flawless.. easy to adjust.. built like a tank..and good for about 300 shells per hour.. which is doubled if you don't need to resize.. All Good.. Mike

10. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

My wife got me my Hornady 366 new around 1986. The color of the press is red and the top portion is stamped Pacific while the lower base reads Hornady. I have loaded thousands of high quality rounds on that press with the only parts replaced being a spring in the primer tray (it still worked without the spring, however) and wad guide fingers. A very good machine.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Mike- I was having problems with the Hornaday and took it to the Grand for a Factory rebuild, they told me to forget it. I did all my resizing on a MEC sizing tool. I never used the 366 sizing station. It seemed to slow down things. The 366 is a good machine.

Pat Ireland

12. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

There are a couple of variations of 366s that over lap between the Pacific and Hornady eras. First, the auto shell eject. Some have them and some don't I have a Hornady 20 ga that does not and a budy has a Pacific 28 ga that does...go figure. Then there's the swing out wad guide. I have a 12 ga Hornady that does and again, my 20 ga Hornady does not. Powder/shot cut offs became standard in the late 80s I beleve. the spring loaded primer seater is only just now standard.

13. 333t

333t Member

I believe the first 366's came out around 1970. A 1966 catalogue I have doesn't show them but does list the Pacific DL-350.

The first 366's Pacific's were manual advance and blue in color. There may have been some 366 Auto's in blue, but I have seen only the red version that Pacific made for several years. Hornady 366's have always been the auto version and the same red color that Pacific used. All 366 auto's have the swing out wad guide and automatic shell ejection through the drop hole.
    The early Pacific 366 auto's had a barbed "puller" type of pawl for the auto advance. This was changed to the current square "pusher" type pawl on later models. The puller type pawl is not available from Hornday but those presses can be converted to the pusher type by changing the auto-index assembly. The Pacific and early Hornady auto's had a smooth finish on the castings while the later and current Hornady has a rougher crinkle type finish.

Pacific and earlier Hornday 366 auto's had the desirable features of a wad pressure gauge and reversible handle. While modern wads don't really need pressure, the spring loaded feature of the pressure gauge lets you know when the wad is fully seated against the powder. These features are missing from the current Hornady press.

The 366 is a well designed and very stout press with steel bearing shaft and linkage. Kept properly lubricated, it would be near impossible to wear one out.

Phil

14. shark1

shark1 Member

The age of my Hornady/ Pacific reloader is Dec, 1983. This press still has the old style wad pressure gauge, and reads Pacific 366. Press does have an auto eject. The 3 digit serial number had a G prefix. Still a good press. This was reported from Hornady records.
    Mike Sharkey, DC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
20 ga wad pressure haornady 366
pacific 366
pacific 366 swing out wad guide

pacific dl 350 progressive press

pacific dl 360 bushing chart
pacific hornady 366
used 28 ga pacific 366 press

will mec wad spring fingers work in a hornady