1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Age of AA shot shells (20 box case)

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by gnprts, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gnprts

gnprts Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Any idea about age of plastic 12 gauge AA's packed in 20 boxes to the case? White box .... Yellow cardboard case.... How long has it been since the change was made to 10 box flats? Thanks

2. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I am probably wrong but I say they were made late 60's to mid 70's.
    I thought that the yellow box inset was changed to red in the late 70's early 80's.
    I am sure that some ammo experts/collectors will correct me.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I shot a lot of them in the early 80's

4. bdshooter

bdshooter Member

0   0   0

If you get the LOT number off the the box of shell and call Winchester they will tell you all you want to know about these shells.

5. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

must be pretty old, red, not yellow!

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

0   0   0

It seems to me "flats" instead of "Cases" became the big thing (10 boxes vs 20) around the mid-1980s. It was always my opinion the companies made this move to make it seem like the cost of shells wasn't so bad after the true case reached or at least approached $100. The flats were easier of the weak at heart to move around too. But, I don't remember the yellow, AA case - then I remember very little most times anyway......Bob Dodd

7. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I bought some black handicap hulls in the early 70's I remember. Still have a few somewhere I bet.

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

0   0   0

gnprts, I too say around 30 years old, give or take abit. I have those same boxes with yellow and with red inside the AA border line. Mine are empty and have been told they are not a collectable item. Yours with the original shells in those boxes with the original case might be something someone would want though. Call Win. and give them the lot number as per above and find out. Good Luck and break-em all. Jeff

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

0   0   0

I'm thinking late sixties, early seventies. The 20 gauge AA boxes I have that look like yours are paper hulls. Wayne

[​IMG]

10. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

The yellow shipping case was around in the mid 70's as I remember buying a case at Herters. How much later they were still available, I'm not sure.

11. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

0   0   0

There should be a date on the bottom of the case showing when it was made. This is probably within 90 days of the date the shells were made. Ron

12. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

0   0   0

I broke my first 100 straight with Winchester trap loads in yellow and black boxes in 1974. Somewhere in my "stuff" I think I still have half a case of them. Larry Evans

13. Duck Head

Duck Head TS Member

0   0   0

The "flats" were invented for UPS. 20 bx cases were too heavy for some of their drivers.It was common knowledge when it happened.I bought 20 bx cases as late as 1986.

14. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Isn't the some kind of law that insists that 20ga shells be yellow??

15. creek

creek Member

0   0   0

Is there any "collector value" to the old yellow or red label empty boxes? I have a large amount of them and hated to use them in reloading in case they are gaining value.
    John

16. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

As being stated by some, these were made starting in about 73 and continuing into late 70's. as for your shells, since you didn't show a pic of the letter/shell, doest it have a t at the end of the load designation.? Does it say "plus" on the shell? Does the box have a plus somewhere aroung the AA? These would also be helpful in detemening era.

17. gnprts

gnprts Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Picture of box flap with code.......... Bottom of case has WC725 but no date....

gnprts_2008_0303.jpg

18. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I have a friend that used to be the Trap chairman at the local club here in MA. He also sold components and shells. I had a heavy duty Pickup around 89-90 and some time off.

He was looking for someone to go to the western part of MA and pick up what he said were the last 20 box cases on the east coast. I volunteered to pick them up and another friend offered to help.

So we went and got them he didn't tell me they were 52 pounds per case and I never even thought about it. He had 50 cases needless to say it was an interesting ride.

Those was the last 20 box cases I can ever remember seeing for sale. As I said the 89 or 90. Can't for the life of me remember what color the cases or the boxes in them were.

Bob Lawless

19. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

0   0   0

gnprts you really tweaked my curiosity with this post so I made a couple of phone call.

Winchester Ammunition says that the number on the flap of the box say that those shells were made in 1969, on November 17. I was amazed and asked the guy what time it was made? I am not sure he was to happy about that but I explained I was joking and he didn't say to much more. He couldn't tell me exactly when the 20 box cases went out of production other than to say at least 25 years ago. Which would mean about 1985.

That of course make those shells 41 years old this November probably older than your children if you have any.

Bob Lawless

20. gnprts

gnprts Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Wow! Bob thanks for the help. I called Winchester but got a recording.. Just my luck. You are right the shells are the same age as my son. Thanks to all that responded to my thread. This is a great site with knowledgeable people. Trap shooters are the best! Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.