1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Age of a handgun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jerbear, Jan 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Can anyone tell me how old a Smith & Wesson 22lr pistol is? I have registered it in my name and it was my wifes grandfathers.

Jerbear

2. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

Jer,

Post the S/N and I'll look it up in my SC of S&W.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM....Dave

3. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Pat, sorry.... 22lr CTG 6" barrel Serial # 386654

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/Reloading%20Room/?action=view&current=HPIM1260Medium.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/Reloading%20Room/?action=view&current=HPIM1252Medium.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/Reloading%20Room/?action=view&current=HPIM1253Medium.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Thanks in advance, the gun has been in my safe for years and is near perfect. A small blue wear at the tip of the barrel you may see in the pic with the gun facing to the left.

Jerbear

4. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

It does have the older ejector rod. It also has dimond grips and the older sites. It is also a 5 screw gun. The 5th screw is under the grips. I don't know if you want to sell it or not but I say keep it. It is a great gun and it is worth some money. Do you have the box also? I would place the gun in the 1920's or as late as the 30's.

5. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

I have it in the original leather holster it's been in for years. No I don't intend on selling it, It's a safe queen for now.Pat, the only numbers you see when the cylinder is open it the serial number stamped in the top by the barrel.There is a date on the bottom of the grip...

Pat.June 5 1917

The top of the barrel has alot of PAT'D dates as well.
    <a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/Reloading%20Room/?action=view&current=HPIM1267Medium.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/Reloading%20Room/?action=view&current=HPIM1266Medium.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Jerbear

6. dfm

dfm Member

Looks like a 'Smith pre-war "Outdoorsman". S&W revolvers weren't given model #'s until the late 1950's. Prior to that they were given names.

7. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/Reloading%20Room/?action=view&current=HPIM1268Medium.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

This is what I have it in, maybe I need something a little netter now?

Jerbear

8. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

You will find the S numbers on the bottom of the grip frame. When you take off gthe grips you will see them. They were at times also on the cran I think they call it. When you open the cylinder look at the hing point for the numbers.

9. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Do NOT keep it in the holster in your safe. It's not a good idea.

10. Doctor_Chicago

Doctor_Chicago Member

Nice Gun

I would to see it person sometime.

11. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Hinge point numbers are 1619 or 1G19

Just took it out of the holster and rubbed it with Rem oil.

Thank you guys very much, I guess I need to get it appraised somewhere that I know I won't get taken advantaged of.

Jerbear,

12. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

The reason you do not want to keep it in the holster is it will rust.

13. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Jerbear, I would say that you should probably contact S&W. For a nominal fee they will provide a letter stating when, where, how etc the gun was originally sold.
    I don't think it is a 5 screw, if it was the 5th screw would be on the front of the trigger guard, just below the frame not on the starboard sideplate!
    It is a nice piece, and one that would be worth going thu the factory letter process. Have you shot it any? I bet it would be a heckaofa squirrel gun! Rick Gibbs

14. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

Jer,

It is in fact a .22/.32 Hand Ejector Model. "Pre K-22/17" if you will. According to the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson the SN places it around 1925-30 as mentioned by a couple other posters.

It's a beautiful revolver and you're fortunate to have it. Thanks for sharing the pics. As a Smith collector it's a real pleasure to view it.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

15. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

k1200ltc509, there is a screw in front of the trigger guard, I going shooting today so I mite be able to post a pic later. No I have not shot this gun but that's what my wifes grandfather used it for was squirrels.

Jerbear

16. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

PA101_guy, Can you date a K22 for me? SN 13K3389

Thanks J.Woolsey

17. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Jerbear that makes it a true 5-screw gun. The 5th screw which was done away with to save money was for the installation/removal of the locking bolt in the frame. After that the next change in screws was to remove the 4th screw on the sideplate. Again to save money. You have a fine example of a old gun there. Don't ever let it get away unless it is for something you really want as you will never replace it! Unless you want to get rid of it to an old retiree like me fooooooooooor cheap... LOL! I'de say it is worth somewhere in the area of a 90-T if you are looking to trade, or for that value. RLG

18. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

J.Woolsey,

Your K-22 is 1977 per the S/N.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

19. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Thanks Dave. J.Woolsey

20. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

k1200ltc509, thank you for your time. I'm going to contact S&W tomorrow to see what I need to do to get more info on this piece. Glad I kept it instead of doing what mu mother in law wanted to do with it. The gun was her fathers and transfered registration to me, she wanted to melt turn it in to the police department to destroy it. Glad I took possession of it now.

Jerbear

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.