1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Age and averages sure take their toll on you

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

How many have suffered the decline in averages w/ age my all time high hdcp average was 90.68 in 2002 age 61 in 2000 it was 90.45 age 59 and in 2006 it was 90.28 age was 65 my all time 16 yard avg was 98.17 in 2006 age 65 yrs old

And for 4 yrs singles average was over 97% and lots of years it was 96%.

Now at 70 yrs old and still on the 27 yd line reflexes have slid down as I notice I am letting go of the trigger before I get to the target, and that disgusts me.

Maybe related to being a diabetic and losing sensitivity in my fingers, but I don't feel any older and enjoy handicap shooting the most.

The 98-97% singles averages did not get many rewards but there was a lot of 200s shot along the way.

Most memorable was the 150 straight at Southern Grand and Nora Martin won the singles championship.

2nd most memorable was at the Ohio State Shoot and tying for high with a 199 only to be neaten by Dale Millar w/ lone 200 straight, but I did win class trophy.

Most memorable squad was at the Ohio State Shoot when they the OSTA did the squadding and shooters had no choice, I shot with Dan Orhlic, Britt Robinson,
    Larry Gravestock, and Army shooter Ray Stafford, it was a very windy day and I won one of the 50s outright and over $2,000. Was my first year on the 27 yard line.

Does anyone remember the night 50 bird shoots at Camp Troy?, there was a big guy from Michigan shooting Herco 1 1/4 oz loads just smoking the targets and laughing at the smoke balls, somewhere after 40 straight the recoil got to him and he shot himself out of the money, I was on post one and my buddy was on post 5 and we won the shoot w/50s and over $4700, on the way home we bought a lot of shooting supplies and I bought a pair of Cowboy Boots that I still have and have been re-soled and they still fit, and the cowboy hat is a real Stetson
    Straw hat and I still wear it sometimes.

Do you remember Rudy Manor daytime 100 bird shoots and the Camp Troy daytime 100 bird shoots, I remember Dr. Dan Cherbuni winning a Color Television.

And Ray Mills given yardage by Central Handicap Committee for winning the non-registered handicap 100 bird shoot at Rudy Manor.

I remember Dave Thurston given 2 yards for winning the 200 bird singles shoot at Mid American in Middletown Ohio and he never registered another Registered Target after that.

I remember shooting with an invitation to the Wisconsin State Shoot to shoot with the famous Vic Reindeer, he told me you shoot good for a Buckeye, after he beat me in the Doubles event.

Guys give me some of your best memories.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

It's hard to beat youth.

I scored a few squads at the Youth Invitational that Centerburg hosted at Cardinal earlier this year. Some great youth shooters, especially the sub-juniors.

I quit shooting in the late 80s,picked it back up about 2005 when my son showed interest.

Used to be able to break in the high 80s to mid 90s on hdcp. No more, or not yet.

Maybe never.

Regards....Gerald

3. missed some

missed some TS Member

as long as you can remember what you had for breakfast, everything is still o.k.

4. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

Yes & Yes, 71 plus, love shooting but body can't take it to much anymore!!
    still enjoy what I can. Take care DR.

5. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I don't have a lot to bragg about. The club & County championships I won were fun. The day I broke 98 on caps at Bellevue,Ohio Fenwood with 88 straight and boiled dust off of 2,those darn #8's. Only chance I've had for 100 straight caps.Seemed like I always won something at Fenwood. A couple 50 straight caps with my 870 TC on consectative days at Vandalia was fun. Shooting on a doubles squad with Kay Ohye and the Russo brothers at the grand was intimidating.Shooting on a squad with Vic Reinders and other all Americans was fun. Biggest thrill was winning a 10 shooter shootoff in the 2005 Grand Nitro 27 Handicap. I did win the Senior Vet NW Ohio Zone Handicap this year. Used to have some 90+ Caps by now,not this year yet. Won't put me in the Hall of Fame,but I've had tons of fun over the last 77 years. Clyde

6. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Good for you Clyde, hope you have many more years of fun with trapshooting.

7. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

1999 the 100th. anniversery of the ATA I had a 96 ave. and 25 yds H'cap. Shot one of the caps events, left, got gas, collapsed at the station, went to the hosp. for 10 days and everything has been downhill from there. Better luck to you all.

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Quityerbitchin!

Wish that I could shoot as well as when I was 70!

I can reload as good as ever ... so I go burn up ammo just to have some hulls to load up again!

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I enjoyed reading what all of you have written. I am sorry to say that I have never really been any good at shooting, but have thoroughly enjoyed the sport and most of the fine people that I have met over the years. In 41 years of shooting, I have only had one 100 straight, but I have always tried as hard as I could, with virtually very little luck.

Trapshooting has not given me any major wins, but one thing that it has given me are life long friendships that I can not put a price tag on. My wife shakes her head as I have spent well over $400,00.00 in this sport with little in the win column.

Believe it or not, I have gotten more out of the sport than what I have put in.
    Steve Balistreri

10. missed some

missed some TS Member

Amen steve.......

11. Mapper

Mapper Member

I never was much of a threat either, but I sure remember Camp Troy. Those were some nasty targets. I can't hit my butt with both hands anymore either, but I remember the fun days and winning a few bucks.

12. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Mapper,I tried some of Camp Troy's targets. There was big money to be made if you could hit them. I couldn't Clyde

13. Ray Zeilinger

Ray Zeilinger Member

My Dad at 86 years young says he still shoots as good as he ever did, he just doesn't hit them as often.....

Ray

14. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

I shot a 16yd round the day before the Illinois state shoot. on my left was a 15yr old and on her left was her 13yr brother on my right was a 3 1/2 footer(age unknown).I shot 94 and was third.maybe starting at 70yrs was a little late to the dance.but I'm having fun.when it is no longer fun i will hang it up.

15. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

My best memory was watching my Dad clean his 1950 full choke, solid rib model 12 trap gun. He used special gun oil on it. After he died in 1978 his bottle of special gun oil was almost empty. I was able to buy the formula in 1980 for $1000 on a 3 payment plan. I made a gallon of it back then, but I made the mistake of using an empty plastic gallon milk jug. It leaked out. Now I use an empty gallon glass wine jug. I just cleaned his gun with it today! That Model 12 is smooth and so is the oil!!

Harry

16. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I don't know about the age thing and scores. The Sr.Vet. class seems to be one of the toughest classes out there. I know I have more aches and pains at the end of the day and I go to bed earlier. I am still able to put up decent scores most of the time.

Stay positive - don't beat yourself before you take the line. Age is just a date on the calender.

Don

17. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Don:
    What you say is true, especially about the senior vet class being tough. One Grand in particular in Ohio, a young know it all signed up by himself on a singles squad and when he went to his bank of traps I heard him tell his friends that he got squaded with a bunch of old farts that probably forgot how to shoot.

He was on position #1 and on #5 was Vic Reinders. He also said how he hoped this old guy's misses would not screw up his shooting. He also mentioned it was just his luck that he got squaded with a bunch of geizers. What he didn't know was that one of the so called geisers got ill, and had to withdraw that day, allowing him to fill the squad, as he shot with 4 hall of fame shooters.

When the shooting was over, this young man had the lowest score on the squad, which was a 97. By the way, the old man that shot just before him on position #5 just happened to break a hundred, as the lowest score of the so called geisers shot that day was a score of 98.

Steve

18. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Harry: Would you care to share the recipe?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.