1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AGAINST THE LAW TO OWN A GUN WITHOUT SERIAL#

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    is it against the law to own a gun without a serial #? did you ever hear of a gun leaving the factory without a serial#? if someone offers to sell a gun without a serial # to you, what should you do? is the gun usually stolen when this happens?
    steve balistreri

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Many guns made before the 1968 Gun Control Act did not have serial numbers. OTOH, if the serial number is removed, then you have a problem. Call ATF and talk to them. Have the fiream in your hand when you call.

3. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

as SC said if it dont have one is OK if it was ground off it is a PROBLEM i have a colt Colteer rifle that does not have serial no rick

4. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

A lot of older cheaper models didn't have serial numbers. Pretty common back then

5. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

The early Ljutic guns just had the owner's initials or a number that was meaningful to the owner. My travel agent had Monogun #747.

6. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

I have an old Rem single shot 22 that does not have a S#. It was made in the late 1920's. It is a legal gun becasue the factory made it that way. If the gun did have a S# and it was altered and or removed YES it is an illegal gun and you will get in trouble. As long as the gun came from the factory without any numbers you are fine.

7. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

I owned a Ljutic that had serial number....MOTT. A friend of mine owns it now.

Jim C

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

If you have a gun lacking a serial number repaired by a gunsmith, it will be returned with a number on it someplace.

Pat Ireland

9. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Black powder guns do not require a Serial #

Dennis

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I once had a Savage mod #24 .22 mag/20 ga O/U that was made back in the early '60s that never had a serial #

John C. Saubak

11. leadvail

leadvail Member

Yeah if not a bunch of black hooded agents will kick in your door and slam your wife and kids to the floor and shoot you if you resist . Be carefull about calling.

12. letts

letts TS Member

I have a H&R 20 ga. Topper with no number. In 2006 I took it to Canada with me hunting, the lack of a number was not a problem when I cleared through customs.

Letts

13. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I have two Browning 22 autolaoding rifles. One has no serial number at all, the other has the number stamped on the barrel.

Gne J

14. Jim Brown (the puller)

Jim Brown (the puller) TS Member

I know a guy, former Navy SEAL, who made a 12 gauge anti-shark hand gun as part of a weapons class while in the service. He gave it serial number 1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.