1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Aftermarket electronic fuel injection

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wireguy, Nov 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Does anyone know of a decent electronic fuel injection system that would bolt onto my '86 Toyota 22R engine? The carb is pretty tired and a kit didn't help that much. I know they are out there but I sure don't know anything about them.

2. Mapper

Mapper Member

One of the hot rod companies made and sold throttle body fuel injectors. I don't know if they made one small enough for a Toyota or not. You could probably hit a speed shop online and find out.

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Check out the TRD(Toyota Racing Development) catalog online...stuff meant for making them go fast in it but you might find something to fill your need too..it wont be cheap and most likely will mean a whole different intake system...a good rebuilt carb will be a whole lot cheaper

4. emuller

emuller TS Member

Changing to EFI would be very expensive, possibly exceeding the market value of the host vehicle. The cheapest and most reliable solution would be to purchase a new carb from Toyota

5. oz

oz Active Member

why not buy a NEW carb?

6. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Yea, looks like a new carb may be the way to go. Thanks for your input everyone.

7. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

You may be putting the horse in front of the cart.what is it that makes you think a carb is the issue? What exactly is the vehicle doing to make you think that carburation is an issue? You may have an engine problem or a simple tune up could fix your problem. Best to start with the least expensive fix and move forward from that point. Making a change to EFI is as stated in another post expensive and may not resolve the issue to your satisfaction.You may want to run a compression test on the engine, timming belt been changed? When was a complete tune up last done? Just some thoughts after years in the industry my advise is start with the simplest soultion to the problem and go from there. Just a thought!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.