1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

after market replacement wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Simon Engraving, Dec 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon Engraving

Simon Engraving Active Member

i have noticed these seem to be better than factory wads in that the plastic composition is of better quality and very slicky slicky smooth. what is your opinion and who do u think has the best wad composition. thnks for all the feedbacks howard ps im thinking the gold down range fig. 8

2. Hilltop

Hilltop Member

DOWNRANGE is the one to use....

Allen Bracktt

3. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Downrange +1 And I have tried a bunch. Regards, Ed

4. 548

548 Guest

I love the new Down Range 8 petal fig 8

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Downrange - the best I have ever seen in my 55 years of reloading. There was a good wad called uniwad but no longer made

6. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

I recently tried to Claybuster Pink Winchester replacement wads. I can't tell a difference between them and the factory wads when loading. I now have them mixed with the factory wads, and load them all at the same time.

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I use Remington TGT-12 and Fig-8 wads. I have used DRM wads and they are fine. In fact I now have a bunch of DRMs Fig 8 4-petal wads because I couldn't find any Remingtons. They are equivalent and equal to the factory units.

You do have to be careful, however. For instance, DRM's 12S0 replacement is not an identical copy. Federal's have a 7/8oz shot cup, but DRM's have a 1oz shot cup.

I find the Green Duster wad to be superior to the WAA12SL. Other than that, I'll use factory or DRM.

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

No doubt•••••••••DownRange has the superior product in the wad market.

9. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

My vote goes for DownRange aslo.

Hard to beat.

Hauxfan!

10. revbook

revbook Member

I use Windjammer wads, Am I missing something with Downrange?

Don in PA

11. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I'd be using Downrange if they were available locally. Unfortunately if I have to have them shipped in, they'd be comparable in price to what I can get OEM wads for locally.

12. Simon Engraving

thnks for the remarks now that i know that most like the down range product i am wanting to modify the petals the end result would have exterior dimples like on the white flyer targets. i can then chrno them and see what happens. being a retired tool and die maker with some mold exp. i can do this. who knows i mat go into wad business. thnks and have a great day howard

13. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Not knocking Downrange, my experience has been limited to the AA and its clones... using an original AA, Remington Premier, STS and/or Nitro hull...

Starting with the AA (white wad), I then quickly jumped onto the WT12 to save a couple bucks/1000... tried and used the Claybusters, but really like the Blue and Green Dusters...

The Blues and Greens are slick, load easily and leave little wad fouling...

2 Thumbs Up! ^^

Jay

14. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

A second for the Blue and Green Dusters. Ran out of Green Dusters for my 1 oz. loads, tried Blue dusters instead. Worked just great. Now I will buy just Blue Dusters to cover me for 1 oz. and 1 1/8 oz. loads.

15. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Blue and Green Dusters for me. Since the early 90's.

Wayne

16. Simon Engraving

jay those were what i used exculisive for many many years recob doesnt come here any more so am going with down range. after getting these i find that the composition is a tad nicer than the other. what do u think of the dimple idea. i shoot a 2 piece mdl. 12 barrell with .774 bore dia. with .040 choke. wads with different composition and design have always intrigued me.thnks for ur input. howard

17. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

I prefer the Duster wads hands down

18. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

With people going with different wads, it just goes to show you we have our differences.

I guess that is why someone came up with the saying, "Different strokes for different folks"!

Hauxfan!

19. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

For Federal hulls: (12SO and 12S3 wads) - I really like the clones from Claybuster

Remington hulls: 1-1/8 I prefer the OEM Fig-8 wad; 1 oz I like the Downrange (dark green TGT-12 and the neon green DRXL-1).

AA hulls: I like the Duster wads (clear, green, and blue)

20. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Well, I can honestly say that I have tried the Claybuster,Dusters, and the downrange wads as well. I find no problems with any of them, and I still load with the Win. AA clone wad from Claybuster. If its not broke don't try to fix it. My 2 cents. break em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.