1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

After back surgery ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, May 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

For all those who had back surgery how long did it take before you were back shooting? I'm going to have the disc between L3 & L4 removed, some jack screws put in & a plastic disc replacement inserted.

Phil Berkowitz

2. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

I had mine done in 1986(L2, L3, and L4 removed), and I was off from shooting for 5 months.

3. Tracy Boy

Tracy Boy TS Member

Mine was between C3 and C4 in my neck. I was back shooting in about three months. Took about a year to feel really good and back to normal. Each case is different, your may heal quicker. The younger the better....I'm 66 so it was slower.

4. ring3

ring3 Member

About 6 months for me however mine was done in Nov. Not much shooting around here in the Winter. The surgery went well and corrected my biggest problem. Still have issues but they are tollerable. Take your time and follow rehab schedule. Good Luck.

5. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I had C3 & C4 fused.I shot in 3 months.After the Dr told me the fusion had taken.I had a lamonectomy in L4 and L5 and I was off 6 weeks.I am not a Dr I just play one on the net.

6. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper Member

I had a L4, L5, S1 Fusion. 7-8 months, but I had a few complications (3 months in bed). Recoil still gives me a little "twinge" every now and again towards the end of a long day, say 300 targets.

Ring3 has the key though........"Take your time and follow rehab schedule."

Good Luck, It'll feel like forever but it'll be worth it in the end.

7. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

My operation was very similar( I was 75)-I had two titanium rods screwed into my spine-Took me 6 mo to get back to shooting..Rehab was a bitch....LHT

8. clydep

clydep Member

I'm having Lumbar fusion of L4&L5 and maybe L3 in a few weeks. I was hoping for 4 weeks off the line. Listening to you guys, it sounds like my summer is shot. Oh well, there's always next year. Clyde Courtwright

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

With all the new stuff being invented to fix the spine it's very hard to say. I had an L4/L5 fusion late last year and was back shooting in 6 weeks. My fusion was done at the Barrows Neurelogical Institute in Scottsdale by a surgeon that had developed his own appliance. It was much less invasive. I was nearly pain free in four weeks and felt I could probably have started back then but why push it? Amazing what they are developing these days.

10. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I had a '360' done in April of 2006. I got released in Feb. 2007, and started shooting in March 2007. No pain, driving in two weeks(alittle). Best thing I ever had done. I had 2 Docs. One was a general surgeon, who cut me open from belly button to groin, took all my guts out. Neurosurgeon took out L4, L5, S1 discs and put in cages and screws. Put it all back, and rolled me over, and put in two rods and 6 screws. My back never has been better. Good Luck. Charlie Henderson

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Had three cervicals fused eight weeks ago. Took a road trip and did a little hunting with a .223 AR15 and a .22 handgun. Did OK for a while since they are low recoil, but fatigue set in and by late afternoon I was missing easy shots. Was also very worn out and sore from the road trip.

Did not try anything with more recoil. Don't know if that could cause microfracturing of the fusion points or not.

My opinion is if you are going to practice, fine. But I would not enter a tournament until I found out if scores are going to go in the dumper from fatigue and lack of practice beforehand. Plus a doctor should approve of anything that doesn't have gentle recoil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.