1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

After adjusting p.o.i beads won't line up

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jeff post 1, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff post 1

Jeff post 1 TS Member

What do people do when you adjust you're comb and get you're gun shooting straight. And looking down the barrel the beads are not lined up.

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I don't look at the beads ... look at the target. Where have you heard that before (LOL). If your mount is consistent it doesn't matter, just use the space as a quick reference. If you don't like the space, you can get a taller mid bead or drill a new hole in the rib and move the mid bead. Bill Malcolm

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Install adjustable rib, have mid bead moved. or just get used to it. I went through this all back in march. I kept moveing the comb and forcing my self to stack the beads fig8. Not realizing that nothing will change if you keep bead relationship the same. Now there is some rib between my beads. Ive got my gun shooting where I want and also very sure of my gun mount. Ive blackend my mid bead out. I would like to just find the right size plugs, then I would remove beads alltogether.

4. rlcammer

rlcammer TS Member

As long as the gun shoots where you want it, don't worry about it. I makes absolutely NO difference whether or not the beads line up.

I see lots of space between mine..........

Ric C.

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

My beads are stacked in my gun safe.

6. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

If I could figure out how to remove the bead holder thingy on my XT, I would have no front bead at all. I have blacked out the bead instead (for now). You don't need the bead if the gun shoots where YOU are looking.

7. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

starshot2b you just unscrew it counter clockwise.

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Just move the front bead forward until you have it where you want. Then mark the spot and have the rib retapped for a bead. The figiure 8 means nothing to some people and everything to others.Jeff

9. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

Some may shoot with beads that aren't one behind the other. As the pattern board has shown them that the center bead needs to be left or right of the front bead to put the shot in the center of the aiming point (which I assume is the front bead).

To me this just says your gun doesn't shoot straight and you should get one that does. I never consciously look at either of the beads on my gun when shooting. But before ever shooting it I've adjusted it so when I mount it the beads are in a perfect vertical line, with some space between them. Some straight-a-way targets shot from post 3 to determining if raising or lowering the POI is necessary. And away we go...

Frequently I'll mount my gun off the line and have a look at the beads just to make sure they're where they should be. But I never look at them on the line. To me they are a reference for setting up your gun, nothing more. cls

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Beads? What Beads? Don't see any, don't need any, don't want any! Ignore them!

11. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Hoggy - thanks. Never occurred to me to try and unscrew it - thought it was permanently attached!

12. joshif

joshif TS Member

Just get a DadGum scope and AIM at the fricking targets. Get one with ballistic compensator elevation adjustments for different yardages and go for the Gold with ballistic compensator windage adjustments that you can spin with your finger while you track and AIM at the target in a cross wind!Or AIM right at lefts from #1 or rights from #5 using your windage ballistic compensator. Just joking. LOL. Everybody else said the right things.

13. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Jeff post 1, as far as I can tell, only CLS is listening, assuming you are talking about right/left lineup, not up/down. Though he suggests getting a different gun, and that is the best solution, you could bend this one if it's a single barrel or get one of the known barrel people to fix it and they might - I repeat might - give you what you asked for. Or if it a Krieghof, I hear they will fix it.

I think we'd all like to know more about what you did at the pattern board that told you the gun now shoots straight and didn't before. Since none of the "just shoot it" advice above has any merit at all, again assuming this is a side-to-side problem, the fix is going to be expensive (except the bending one) so you'd better be real sure you need it.

Neil

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Neil your always on the ball, you helped me with my xt. Thought it wasnt shooting straight. After bench testing found barrel to bead fig8 to hit at point of aim. Then getting gun to shoot where I was looking had to bring comb up and to the left(left hand shooter) beads are no longer lined up. gun shoots where im looking. I think we assume to much to quick sometimes. Thank you neil

15. Neil Winston

mac, what I can't understand is why people talk about misaligned beads being no problem and never mention that the rib is also misaligned. The result is as you mount the gun they are looking crossways to the rib.

How do they aim the gun? Down the rib or with the bead? It'll work with the bead, but can they really keep that up, sticking exclusively to the bead and ignoring the rib which is giving contrasting information? Are you, for example, content looking down the rib crosswise? I wouldn't be.

In contrast to the majority of what I read here, I put a Hi-Viz (glowing) sight on my gun a couple of weeks ago and have never, in 20 years, shot handicap as well as I am now though, realistically, I know that may go away (the "new gun" effect.)

Neil

16. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

The rib to me appears to be fine. After the 13 yard test of my gun I wanted it to shoot higher that the fig8 alignment was giving, so I raised the comb until aprox 3" higher than cross hair on target. Then moving to fixed straightaways from post three I was taking a lot of chunks off of the right side of clay. moved comb to left until breaking them. Is this not correct?

17. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

A bit confused...lets say fig8 is the bench mark for true barrel to bead point of aim. Now if useing a bench rest with beads fig8 gun fires high and left. you need to lower comb and move comb to right wich in turn would give you a mid bead alignment thats off to the right and more of s bead in side bead relation ship right. which to me would indicate a problem with barrel to bead relationship. Now if you where to mount gun and beads are not lined up fig8 if you adjusted comb until they did and it shot true to aim YOU are now in line with barrel correct. So now what about point of impact. I wanted my gun to hit higher than fig8 allowed raised comb, then becouse of body to gun fit vission and other varibles moving comb to left gave me more consistant hits. So does this mean my gun is bent or am i bent? When a righty trys my gun they will most likly take off left side of target or miss to left. Most lefty shooters who try my gun seem to miss under. Neil your pattern test got me shooting better, these are just some of the thoughts that run through my head when i start thinking to much about it.

18. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

The "figure 8" is someting from the 70's and 80's. Forget it.

Whiz

19. Neil Winston

OK, mac, I'll admit it, I'm as confused as you are. I've never understood the technique of off-setting the comb. Oh, sure, you loosen the posts and move it over. But then what? Maybe someone long-experienced in doing this will walk us through it, answering these questions.

1. Looking down the gun, or rather mounting the gun and looking out over it, what do you see?

2. How do you determine that you need to shift the comb over.
    ?

3. ...and now you've gotten it right, mounting the gun and looking out over it, what do you see?

I think this will clear the whole thing up for both of us.

Neil

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

maclellan1911- In the very first part of your last post you skipped over something that makes the remainder of your possible adjustments a bit off base. You started by stating that with the beads aligned, the gun shoots high to the left. High is OK but if it shoots to the left with the mid and front bead aligned, you have a problem.

The gun has either a bent barrel, improperly installed rib or damaged choke tubes. Moving the comb can align your eye to the beads but can do nothing to keep the beads aligned to each other.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how do i line up beads for trap