1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

== Afghanistan War ==

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by GW22, Oct 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I just saw a report on 60 Minutes. They interviewed the two guys running the war over there and they admitted we are now negotiating with the Taliban. You may recall that one of the ways we "fixed" things in Iraq was to negotiate with the enemy and help them get installed in the new government (i.e. we put the enemy back in charge). Now we're doing that in Afghanistan. They also admitted that we'll have thousands of troops there into the forseeable future. So you can forget about being out of there next September. The longest war in U.S. history will go on.

$300 Million PER DAY of your tax dollars being spent, and precious young American lives being lost each week, and for what? Do you know why we're there? To keep terrorists from attacking us again? That what our commanders claim. But how does negotiating with the enemy and putting them back in charge keep them from attacking us again?

With the precarious state of our economy, with good jobs as scarce as anytime in at least four decades, and with government corruption at the highest level in U.S. history, it's amazing what we -- the owners of this country -- are willing to put up with. It's unbelievable and disgraceful how dumbed-down and apathetic we have become. The founding fathers would be disgusted with us as so-called "Americans."

Shame on us all for allowing this to continue.

-Gary

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The USSR was there for 10 years. They decided it was mission impossible and got out. HMB

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

We didn't learn from the French before going into Viet Nam, and we didn't learn a damn thing from the Soviets before going into Afghanistan.

No clear mission, no exit strategy, nothing. Just a useless drain on our young people's lives and our already bankrupt treasury.

-Gary

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

GW22 - You talk like you want to get our troops out of Afghanistan. If negotiating with the Taliban gets that done, what is your problem?

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

We didn't go there to negotiate with the enemy.

6. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Why is the Taliban our enemy? Taliban didn't attack us. We attacked the Taliban.

Al-Qaeda attacked us. Al-Qaeda is our enemy. Why is the Taliban out enemy?

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Taliban provided a safe haven for the killers of 3500 American civilian men, women and children.

Would you like us to give them a medal?

HM

8. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Skeet--Are you for real?

9. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Yep, they provided a sanctuary for Al-Qaeda. We attacked them for doing that and we kicked out Al-Qaeda. So why not negotiate? Tell them if they keep the Al-Qaeda out they can go back to their good old days of stoning adulterers and cutting off the hands of thieves.

We should have done what Rumsfeld said we were going to do, i.e. go in, get rid of Al-Qaeda, get out. We should have not gotten involved with 'winning their hearts and minds', or trying to end their barbarian ways.

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Ask a Marine what his solution is.

11. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

If nobody objects, I'll unilaterally change Mrs. Keet's name to "Tokyo Rose".

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I'm a former Marine, and I say get out. We should have never been there in the first place. Those people live in the Bronze age. Just like the peasants in Vietnam. All they care about is raising their Goats, and growing Poppies. Why is it that every administration wants to turn every backward third or forth world country into pseudo Americans? What a waste of money and lives.

13. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

It takes pseudo-Americans to buy pseudo-American SUVs.

Plus, people who spend all day watching TV tend to be more peaceful than people who spend all day screwing goats.

14. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Ws-1 even Tokyo Rose doesn't deserve that.

The Taliban were given an opening when we pulled out the first time, when we helped the Afghans drive out the Russians. I don't think they could have without our help particularity the air to ground missiles we gave them to shoot down the Russian helicopters. The Russians didn't care about political correctness or world opinion, the were killing everyone in sight and the Afghans were losing. The Russians pulled out because they couldn't afford the war anymore and were losing so many troops, many many times more than we have.

Once we (the CIA) pulled out our help the Taliban stepped into the vacuum and took over with their special kind of discipline and order. And made deals with Bin Laden and AlQueda. They assassinated the leader of the Northern Alliance and the stage for 911 was set.

Don't forget our American Soldiers are operating under strict rules of engagement in Afghanistan and Iraq. I believe they have to be shot at first in Afghanistan. We need more civilian contractors in both places, they don't have those ROE's to hold them back from doing the job.

So the blame goes way back and the notion that the Afghans are undefeatable is a romantic myth. IMO

As long as we have Presidents taking office who have no regard for the present or past foreign policy we will have problems all over the world. How can anyone trust us when every 4 years or so our foreign policy may take a 180?

15. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Ever stop and think what it would take to win/stop a guerilla war? It isn't pleasant to consider and the general outlook is even worse. The only force that was ever successful was the Brits in Malaysia and the way they succeeded was to get down to the cellular (3 man) level like the communists and live in the jungle like they did. I can't see that being possible today, and the terrain differences and tech advancement make it impossible. As long as 3 nut cases want to make your life a living hell, they can do it. Your choices are to kill them first or change their minds. Good luck.

Actually, our poor kids are buying us time with their lives and limbs. May God Bless them.

16. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

If the current regime in Kabul is willing to treat with Taliban and if a new coalition that includes the Taliban is willing to keep Al-Qaeda out, why would we have a problem with that?

17. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

There she is, boys and girls! Tokyo Rose, the Enemy Sympathizer, cleverly disguised as the Devil's Advocate.

18. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

I don't want my son there or anyone elses either. Get out 10 years ago, stay out and no food aid, dollars aid or any aid. These jerk generals want pictures taken of themselves in a combat zone for false glory. The smart and brave thing to do is admit your mistake and get out. Too many lives have already been lost and too many wounded have not healed their wounds. Get out get, get out, get out bitch.
    It's to late for God Bless America!

Harry

19. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

All this for 12 guys in black pajamas swinging on the monkey bars? No, not really. I love the media minds for that image sequence!

There is a lot of money to be made (for some) in a war posture. Viet Nam was a lot of things but good outcome for us is not on the list. Geo-political chess games don't really take into account the familys and money (taxed or leveraged)required to play the game. I hear that poppy production is at record levels. Is this deja Vu times 3? (Viet Nam,Iran-Contra, Af-pac). Now Somalia-Congo-Uganda? 210 days (& counting) to steal Libya.

What ever...

20. porky

porky TS Member

At 300 million dollars a day for just Afganistan, our enemies have found a way to undermine the U.S. It finally collapsed the USSR and I fear that obozo and his muslim friends will be able to do it to us and declare marshall law.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

content