1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Afganistan Deployment Gift Ideas (Co-worker)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by DiggerL, Aug 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DiggerL

DiggerL Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Son's co-worker is deploying to Afganistan. Son is in charge of geting a "going away" gift and asked me for ideas. Something under $100. Only details I have is he is Navy but will be serving with Army in eastern Afganistan (sounds like indian country...).

My military experience is dated (Pershing missle battalion, Army FRG in late 70s). I'm thinking a nice Leatherman multi tool or a decent lockblade knife. Not sure what modern warriors like. Any ideas would be appreciated.
  2. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Nice fix blade knife was good. My brother got a variety of different things. A really good idea would be tobacco if he consumes, but wait till he gets over there and mail it. That was the harder stuff to come across.
  3. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Eastern Washington
    Remember Ft. Hood,

He will most likely be flying by a contracted airline and will be subject to TSA rules!!

A leatherman would be GREAT, but will it be taken away from him? They can't be trusted with ammo, ya know!!
  4. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

Jun 26, 2009
    We sent my son, when he was in Afghanistan, batteries, aaa, aa, c, gun cleaning supplies, books, lots of socks and interstingly, 50 cal and 308 snap caps. (for some reason they had a hard time getting these). Bore snakes also.
  5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2008
    Give him some Gunzilla--marines I know who are deployed love it.

Phil Berkowitz
  6. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Sep 29, 2008
    "He will most likely be flying by a contracted airline and will be subject to TSA rules!!"

That's what checked baggage is for, DUH!!!!

The Leatherman or Gerber multi tool or a lockblade knife is a really good idea and would be my first choice.

Other ideas: I gave a couple of deploying co-workers (DoD civilians) Surefire LED flashlights, in addition to some gift cards from outdoor clothing supply stores or Amazon.com. Some of the Surefire flashlights cost a little more than $100 but were very well received. They told me they came in handy, especially when they were situated at a remote FOB. Link is above.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.