1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Affordable scope for 300+ yard shots

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by John Beiser, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Beiser

John Beiser TS Member

I was wondering if anyone could recomend a decent scope for a rifle for shooting 300 yard + shots. I plan on mounting it on a Weatherby Vangaurd .300 weatherby mag. I am looking to stay around 200 dollars.

2. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

That seems silly!!!!

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I bought a Simmons Prairie Master from Natchez for 79 bucks. 6-24x50 w/Mildot reticle.

I was surprized at how good it is.

But I use a Nikon Monarch for my main PD gun. Best for the buck in my Opinion.

I once went to an optics seminar, and the guy said you should spend as much for the scope as you do for the gun.

I am not quite there.

HM

4. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I think I have a Burris variable of some sort on mine (same rifle, same caliber). I'm not sure if it's a Fullfield, a Widefield, or something else. My son uses the rifle, not I, so I'm not sure. It works fine, and he shot a cow elk with it this fall at just over 460. It was late, the light was failing, and there was no way to get closer in the time left.

For the rifles I hunt with I prefer my Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8 scopes, but those are about double the price you quote. I've never had a Leupold Vari-X II 3x9, but read good things about them, and those are closer to your price range. Also I read that Leupold has come out with a Vari-X I line.

Personally I would stay away from scopes like Bushnell or Tasco. The Bushnell is due to a couple bad experiences many years ago with their .22 scopes. The reticle would not stay put even under the recoil of a .22 lr. Simmons, Cabelas, and other off brands I have no experience with. Again, I like quality Leupolds.

5. John Beiser

John Beiser TS Member

Why does that seem silly BOB?

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Simmons makes some surprisingly good optics- you dont even have to go to the top of their line which I think is the Aetec? might have that spelled wrong

I have used a couple of their 6.5X 20 50MM for prairedogs-- in fact I think I have them on 3 rifles

They arent as good as leupold but they are good enough for 300 yard shots at the dogs

regards from Iowa

Gene

7. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

Go with Nikon, can't beat the optics or price.
    Chris Teeters

8. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

I've had problems with TWO top of the line Nikons and would NOT buy another. They talk a good story but when they have to take their product BACK for repair they want to charge You. Leupold does NOT have these issues. You return a scope and it's replaced or fixed. Then again..in forty years I've only ever returned ONE Leupold and it had been rolled on by a HORSE.

If You want repeatable accuracy I don't think a cheapy will do. Buy a Leupold. That Wby is capable of real accuracy. Why handicap it with crappy glass?

FN in MT

9. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Bushnell makes a good glass for the money, and if you don't like it, you can take it back no sweat. Lifetime warantee. Where the big money comes in is in the glass and its light gathering capabilities. It also plays in at holding true MOA adjustments. It is not probable that a 100 dollar bushnell will go ten clicks up, ten clicks left, ten clicks down, then ten clicks right and be back where you started (box test), but a 1000 + scope will. But it will hold a zero. I have a banner on an 870 cantilever slug gun and a 300 wby mag. They both hold a zero and that 870 kicks harder.

FWIW

Nick

10. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

It is silly because you are much better off buying a $250 used rifle and a new $800+ high quality glass.
    300+ yards is long range, If you want to make clean shots at distance you should not try to get by with wallmart tools.

I paid more than $200 for the mounts that hold my scope on the long range tool in my kit.

11. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Kind of like putting used tires on a BMW

12. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Check out Sightron scopes, great quality at medium price.

Bob

13. John Beiser

John Beiser TS Member

I didnt mean to strike up any arguments. I am just trying to figure out the most affordable optics for this rifle. Maybe I will wait a little while longer and spend a little more cash on the optics. What is a good dollar amount to get enough light gathering and range. Remember, I dont have unlimited funds. Also, I am still in the learning process here so dont treat me like an idiot. Thanks.

14. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

John no one thinks your an idiot . Remember if you can,t see it you can,t shoot it

15. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I'd say a good dollar amount will be $250 used to $400 new. This can get you into a Leupold. Like Pocatello, for a hunting rifle I always buy a Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8. I think they're around $400 now. You can get a Leupold Vari-X II 3-9 for around $250 used, it's a very good second choice. Phil E

16. Uncle Tom

Uncle Tom TS Member

Leupold I'm a Mark 4 person have had handful of Var x 3 's owned 2 varx 2s never any trouble with any. Pay the little extra you will not be sorry

17. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi John, I don't have a dog in the fight, but I see someone on this forum is selling a Leupold that might suit your needs at your price. FYI. Cheers-Graham.

18. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

Leupold rifleman series 2X7 under $200 and 3X9 right at $200 best scopes you can get for the money PERIOD

Jake

19. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

Like I said. Nikon is the way to go and they are not just a cheaper scope. For twice the money you buy the high dollar scope that only gives you app 5% to 7% more light gathering ability and for twice the money?? I could put your 3 top choices for scopes together and most people wouldn't see the difference between them and the nikon. I personally have about 15 Nikon's on my rifles and have sold or mounted way over 100 Nikons and NEVER had a problem or return. Also the Nikon comes with the same lifetime warranties as the other ones.
    Chris Teeters

20. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

The cheapest Luepold VX3 I see in the catalog is about 400 bucks, but it's Obj. Dia. is only 32mm, not the greatest for gathering light. For 300 + yard shots, I personally would want at least 4x10 power and 40mm or larger, but that's just me. In a VX3, that puts you in the 550 $ price range. I have several Luepold VX2 which have been excellent, one being on a .308 Norma Mag. which recoils like a pissed off mule. No scope problems with a Luepold. Only thing I don't like about them is the elev. and windage are not click stops, rather friction type. That aside, they are still excellent scopes with excellent a warranty. Remember also that your rings and mounts are just as, if not more important than the scope. Cheap-o rings and mounts, expensive scope = problems that will drive one crazy. Just my thought, hope it helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
300 yard shot hunting scope

best scope for 300 yard shot

best scope for 300 yard shots

good scopes for 300 yard shots

scope for 300 yard shooting
sightron scope green bay wi
simmons prairie master 6-24x50
what is the best economical scope for 300 yard shots