1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Aerial pictures of my club (Victoria, TX)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mike Hessong* (MH*), May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had a chance to go up and take some aerial pictures of my home club (the Victoria Skeet and Trap Club) during the Victoria County 4-H Shotgun Club's big annual "Whiz-Bang" shoot on Saturday, April 20, 2013. Had 125 kids shooting, over 150 vehicles at the club and between 250 to 300 people total for the great event. Probably the largest crowd we have ever had at our little facility we built in 2003-2004 and opened for use in Sept. 2004. We are on the east side of the main runway (throwing away from the runway !) of the Victoria Regional Airport in Victoria, TX. The fields layout exactly to the NorthEast per NSSA and ATA recommendations, so never a problem with the sun in your eyes (unless you're shooting REAL early), but we definitely have South Texas winds at all times !!!

Thanks for taking a look at what we have built here in Victoria.

Mike Hessong* (MH*)

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Good looking layout, I have a buddy that lives in Victoria, he always jokes if his wife ever left him he could watch her go for 3 days

Flat as west Texas

3. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hi Mike, isn't that you standing by the truck? :*) Harv

4. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Mike, what are the 4 mounds off in the distance? Upper right part of the picture.

You sure have a full-house the day of the picture.

5. bossbasl

bossbasl Well-Known Member

Nice aerial photos. Always nice to see small, local clubs attracting lots of shooters. Hard to beat the atmosphere around successful clubs like this.

6. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Nice looking layout, thanks for sharing. Scott

7. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Sweet.... How HOT does it get there in the Summer?
    I betcha' shade is at a premium.
    Art

8. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Catpower, definitely flat down here along the coast. Rice fields and other farm fields, I think I have gotten into the mountains when I hit the Hill Country, just above San Antonio. LOL

RickN, the small earth bunkers were where they used to keep ordinance (bombs) when the airport was a military training base. Now they hold oilfield down-hole charges (still explosives). The large concrete bunker near the top was a "sight-in" bunker, basically a giant bullet trap to catch the .50 caliber rounds from chocked airplanes, aligned with the bunker. I knew we were going to have a crowd that day and got with a friend who has a little Robinson R-22 helicopter to take me up for some updated aerial shots. His grandson was down at the club shooting that day.

Star4Ever, it gets PLENTY hot during the summer !!! 108* to 110* sometimes, and the heat index can be over 120* (due to the humidity). We are only maybe 45 miles from the coast, so always high humidity (and winds) which help, but sometimes it just feels like it's blowing hot air !

Scott Johnson and bossbasl, thanks !!!

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Nice photos as usual Mike.

10. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

cubancigar2000 (Lou) Thanks, I still remember when I had you upload pictures for me when I first taking photos, didn't know what I was doing, and you helped out a fellow TS.com guy. I'll always remember that. Have a great day !!! MH*

11. BillJ

BillJ Member

Nice going Mike. I assume you have retired down there.

12. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

BillJ, long way from being retired, well at least another 6 years or so anyway. Been in this area all my life, grew up in Edna, TX about 25 miles away. This is about as far inland that I want to be; have to have a certain level of salt in my air to be comfortable !!! LOL

Love the Gulf coast area of the state.

13. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Nice pics. It made me go to Google Earth and see what our club looks like from overhead. That started an hour on the computer that got me out of doing what I should have been doing. :) Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

aerial pics victoria tx