1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AED ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 635 G, Dec 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Do you or your club have an AED, An AED, is an automatic electronic defribrulator. If medical help is more than 4 minutes away, think about getting one, it could be the best Christmas present ever. When we lived & cruised on a boat we had one, it was part of our save a boater kit. Maybe its time for the ATA to start a save a shooter program.

Merry Christmas to all,

Phil Berkowitz

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Phil, About how much for cost? Special training required? Thanks and a Merry Christmas to you also. More importantly, a healthy, prosperous, New Year for all of us. The Country's looking a little shaky right now. Bob

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Costco, is currently selling them for under $1300.00 No & I mean no training is required. Another important feature it gives clear & paced instructions for CPR. If you care to, go to the PHILLIPS AED site, they have a very informative video. Its cheaper than a PFS and could be way more important.

Maybe someone who is a little more computer savy than me could post the video here. It would be of great value for all to see.

Phil Berkowitz

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

You can buy refurbished AEDs for well under $1,000 One of the clubs I am a director at has one, and in Pa. you must be certified on its use if you want to avoid a lawsuit. Depending on which course you were trained in on it's use, you will have to be recertified each year or 2. I was just recertified last month, our club decided to purchase one when a member had cardiac arrest and fortunately for him help was less then 3 minutes away.

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

If you're worried about tossing someone a life ring, because you might lossen some teeth if you hit them with a less than perfect throw. Don't get an AED. However, they are available in airports & malls, just like fire extinguishers.

Phil Berkowitz

6. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Michigan law (MCL Section 691.1504 Sec. 4) provides exemption from civil liability for use of an AED:

"...an individual who having no duty to do so in good faith voluntarily renders emergency services to another individual using an automated external defibrillator is not liable in a civil action for damages resulting from an act or omission in rendering the emergency services using the automated external defibrillator, except an act or omission that constitutes gross negligence or willful and wanton misconduct."

I made a motion to purchase an AED for the Michigan Trapshooting Association when I was on the Board of Directors. The motion was defeated, and as far as I know hs not been brought up again.

I sincerely hope the current BoD reconsiders this year.

7. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

To paraphrase a quote, "when seconds count, help is only minutes away". Look around you at the range. The average age-group is?? We all should learn BLS and how to use an AED. Chichay

8. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Chichay, There's enough BS on this site already, what's BLS, a longer form? Sorry, couldn'e help myself. I believe here in Mass. you need to be certified for an AED. I could be wrong. Political attorneys have given us a wonderful world, haven't they. GOD save America, please. Bob

9. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

The County Commission in our county has provided them to all schools, elementary and high school. Only two high schools and a handful of elementary. We are very rural. If you can read, you can operate an AED.

10. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

One of the clubs I belong to enables its members to use the equipment & shoot as much and whenever you want to. I believe in the buddy system. I'm not comfortable crawling into a trap house by myself. The expression Murphy's Law is always waiting to bite you. Even tough I started this thread, you can't use an AED if you're the only person at the range. Be safe and have another great Christmas.

Phil Berkowitz

11. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

wow, I remember when the club safety program was simply teaching people not to shoot someone else accidentally.

12. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Bob,

The main killer in people having an MI (heart attack) is ventricular fibrillation. Without any immediate intervention, such as those provided by an AED and people trained in basic life support (BLS), your chances of successful resuscitation goes down dramatically in as little as a few minutes. Beyond that it is either curtain time or worse, you're a potted plant.

I do not want to put a damper on your holiday spirit, but I feel obligated to speak out. It is a matter of life and death and a subject I know much about.

Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year to you and yours.

Chichay

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

We bought an AED for our club off eBay.

Seven of us took the Red Cross AED/CPR training.

Its really, really easy to use an AED. Nearly all of them give voice directions.

14. crustygalloot

crustygalloot TS Member

after having cardiac arrest and being on the receiving end of cpr & the aed i couldnt agree more about its importance, cardiac arrest can happen to anyone no matter how healthy you think you are. i was as healthy as anybody right up until the time i died.
    i was the lucky one, had many people around me skilled in cpr & the aed . also had the aed on site. i now have an implanted difibulator and am as good as before. i got certified in both cpr & the aed . maybe i can return the favor to some one else if needed

15. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

Oxford Gun Club has one mounted on the wall of the club house right next to the door. I pray we never have to use it.

16. Riverrunt

Riverrunt Member

Having been certified as an EMT for the past 20+ years and a Red Cross CPR/AED instructor let me say you do not need to have stayed in "Holiday Inn Express" to use an AED. The new AED's from Phillips and others are so simple to use that it almost impossible to screw up with one. All you do is turn on the unit and follow the voice prompts which tell you how to place the pads, how to do CPR and when to push the shock button. They even run a self diagnostic program to let you know when and if they need service.

As far as liability from using an AED on somebody who is in Cardiac Arrest, the lay responder (non-professional) who helps out in an emergency is generally protected by "Good Samaritan" laws which basicaly state that so long as you do not willfully do something wrong while trying to give care you can not be held liable for something going wrong. (Please check your local laws to make sure that this in place in your area)

An AED is a great life saving tool to have around when time counts. Each minute that CPR and defib are delayed in an emergency, the perons chances of survival decrease by 10%. A good response time for an Ambulance here in the area I live is 5-7 minutes which means "statistically" the patients chances of survival are now only 50%-30% without early CPR/Defib. How far is your club from the nearest Ambulance and how long will it take to get there?

John Harden

17. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

As having 20 years in proffesional EMS I cannot say enough good about an AED. I have no idea the times I have personally encountered a "save" by them----it is usually the first responders (cops and fire staff) who make it to the scene just prior to us that are the result of the save. EMS is just like law enforcement----you had better be able to take care of some things yourself as many times we are just the "clean-up" crew and going through the motions for the benefit of the family.