1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advise widow re: Estate Sale of gun stuff

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Big Heap, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

0   0   0

A long time friend has passed away leaving lots of guns and related stuff. His widow would like suggestions about the best way to sell it and receive reasonable prices. She doesn't want to attend gun shows and she knows about Craig's List, who won't allow listing of guns.

2. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Find a good, honorable gun dealer/appraiser. Have him/her help with the pricing and estate value. Unless she is willing to handle the ongoing sales, she may be better off selling as a lot, and not part things out. Obviously, she would get less money, but every option has its tradeoffs.

She should also wait a bit, and not rush into getting rid of things. She may make decisions too emotionally. She needs to make rational decisions now.

Best of luck.

Dennis

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

0   0   0

If she plans on waiting - which could be a good strategic move, check into local laws regarding firearm ownership, to see if she needs to do anything to be able to take possession, temporarily or permanently.

regards to all,

Jay

4. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

0   1   0

There are several ways to go,

Have a shop sell then on consignment. this way she get to set the price and know pretty much what she will get if it sells.

Find out if Fairchilds is at a shoot near wear your at. I know he has somewhat of a rep, but what I have seen myself is he buys at as reasonable a price as almost any good dealer, and better then most! His rep. by the way, is that he would have made a good old fashiomed horse trader, "ALLWAYS MAKING THE BETTER IN ANY DEAL!"

Post some of them here and see what happens!

Al

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Since the man was your long time friend, I'm sure you two had a high level of trust in each other and by extension the widow probably sees you the same way. If that is the case then how about if you offer to sell the collection for the lady using this forum or similar. It will be a chore for you but you would want the same favor if the situation was reversed.

6. BLKLABS

BLKLABS TS Member

0   0   0

Big Heap, Why dont you take pictures and sell them here on ts.com? I'm sure they will be eating up.

7. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

0   0   0

The best way I have found is to look on GunBroker and AuctionArms. Do a search, for the item/items that you want to sell, of the auctions that have closed in the last 30 days. This gives you an idea of what they are selling for, then either list them here or on one of the auctions. If she needs assistance she can email me and I will be happy to do what I am able to, to help.

Big Dave Borecki

Big Dave's Sporting Arms Inc. (a Delaware corporation) :)

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

Fairchilds would be the the last one to give them to-- as far as percentage of value

Local gun dealers might even be worse than Fairchilds

Turning them over to Rock Island Arsenal Auctions would be the simplest and because their draw would command good prices- minus their commission

Check with someone such as Norbert down in San Antonio or Robert Paxton

regards from Iowa

Gene

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Make a list of all the stuff with a reasonable price on each item. Post it at your local club, with the heading of estate sale and his name.

You will probably sell most of it that way...the rest can then go to a dealer.

A few years ago, one of our members passed away and the widow sold all the stuff except one gun that way!

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

PS -- the non firearms- have someone sell that stuff for her -- maybe a TS comer

11. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Big Heap, A friend of mine passed away about four years ago; I took responsibility for seeling his collection. Your friends wife will have the most trust in what you tell her the guns are worth so you may want to take pictures find fair prices and sell them for her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.