1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advise on drilling hole in butt pad...........

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bgf, Sep 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgf

bgf Active Member

I have a Kickezz pad on an adj. butt plate. What is the best method in drilling a hole in the middle of the pad to get to the adj. screw for canting the plate. I don't what to tear the rubber up. All I have is reg. drill bits.
    Should I freeze the pad first? Use a wood backing when going thru the pad? What speed of the drill? etc. Would like a nice clean hole.

Bernie

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

an aluminum arrow piece chucked in a drill press, and sharpened with a file will work

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Take some metal tubing about the size you want, sharpen one end as best as you can, and tap it through the rubber (sorbathane?) then drill any plastic or metal attached. Anyway to chuck the tubing in a drill would speed things up....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

My advice: The aluminum arrow thing sounds good, I use a hardened steel bit like those used to drill holes in reams of paper. The tube/shaft is tapered at about a 45ยบ angle on the INSIDE of the shaft, not the outside.

I've made these using a stainless steel shaft, drilling it out and then tapering the inside edge with a tapered centering bit for metal lathe work. I've also used standard steel rod, but will harden it.

I also throw the pad in the freezer first, and used lots of WD-40 on the pad when I drill.

Whiz

5. bgf

bgf Active Member

Thanks all for the advise...I think I got the info I needed.

Bernie

6. Baber

Baber TS Member

.38 cal brass champfered

7. hammer-time

hammer-time TS Member

A much simpler way is to drill from the side that goes against the wood with a small bit and drill all the way through the pad. Take the bit size of the hole you want and drill in the same direction until you get to within a 1/4" or so of the outside of the pad surface. Now take a tapered grinding stone in a dremel and clean your hole out to the size you want. A lot simpler for me than trying to keep chucked up hollow tube running in a straight line!

8. bgf

bgf Active Member

Good advise Hammer.......

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I use a 38 Cal.case took out the primer and put a small bolt in it to chuck it to .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.