1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advise needed re adding weight for less recoil

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by KEYBEAR, May 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I just did the weight thing . My gun was recoiling to much and at 8lb. 14oz. felt to light . So I put 8oz. in the stock bolt hole . I shot last night and the gun felt slow way butt heavy did not move well and shot higher for me . The good news was it had less recoil but I took the weight out . If your going to add weight you must add it on both ends . Some in the stock hole and alittle out on the barrel . My gun is light and I would like to get it up to around 9-1/2lbs. but keep the balance . 8oz will make a big difference .

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I put a steel bar in mine. It weighed 15oz and made a difference in recoil. It did take a few rounds to get used to it, but after that I never noticed until I took it out.

3. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

oilburner,

Yes weight will definetely reduce recoil, and barrel will not jump. I make custom steel weights for $20.00 each. I can configure about any diameter, length, and weight. Email or call me if interested.

Matt - Woodson Enterprises
    (270) 804-5454

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Put eight ounces of lead in the butt and put an eight ounce clamp on barrel weight in front of the fore end. The balance of the gun will remain the same and the recoil will be reduced. HMB

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Oilburner, there are two phases of recoil - in the first, the gun rotates around its center of mass. When you add weight to the stock you lower the center of mass of the gun and so increase the upward rotation of the gun in that phase of recoil. The second phase, when the gun pivots around the contact point on your shoulder, is reduced by a heavier gun. So it's a tradeoff. I personally think that weight, if you need more, should probably be distributed, as Alf advises above. If you put it all in front the gun becomes a club.

Neil

6. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Any weight you add to the butt stock improves the felt recoil and shouldn't interfer at all. Once the weight is against your shoulder it shouldn't slow the movement down at all. The weight is supported by your body. The problem lies in picking up the addittional weight each time.

Big Jack

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Any weight change you make to your gun takes time for you to adjust. Some friends that added weight to their gun, tried to make up for that difference by arm swinging, that certainly doesn't work either. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.