1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advise needed on maintaining oil finish on stock

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mark Spears, May 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Spears

Mark Spears Member

Hello all, I have a couple of oil finished stocks that are starting to look pretty dull. What should I use to shine them back up? I was thinking about linseed oil but I thought I should get some advise from the experts first.

Thanks,
    Mark

2. otnot

otnot Active Member

Get some Truoil and rub it on and they will look like new.

3. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I have used Olympic antique oil for years. Buff it with a soft cloth and then use Johnson's paste floor wax. Take a small amount of the floor wax and rub it on with your hands. Rain will spot the floor wax but just apply another coat. I worked for a gunsmith about a hundred years ago (it seems) and we used Truoil. It is good but it leaves a build up like varnish and scratches show up. Then you have to sand and start over. Antique oil does not build up to a varnish type finish. Any scratch can be spot fixed just by rubbing some more on. Use 600 grit sand paper until it is well worn out and the wood will begin to shine just like an old oil finish then use the Antique Oil. The more you buff and handle it, the better it will look. I promise you will not be dissapointed.

4. Neil R

Neil R TS Member

A good friend who is a cabinet maker and a shooter suggested Minwax paste wax. It leaves a nice finish and a prtective coat too.
    Neil

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

It depends on what your "oil" finish actually is. Cleaning any finish with Clenzoil will remove hand gunk and general grime. If you have an authentic oil finish, you can do a thorough cleaning and recoat with authentic Tung Oil. If you have a Truoil type "oil" finish(has polyurethane in it) you will have to resand before you touch up your finish.

6. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Don't waste your time with linseed oil. It dries too slow and offers little protection from the elements.

7. Mark Spears

Mark Spears Member

Thanks Guys,
    I appreciate the help.

8. napawino

napawino TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have a Browining Grade III 525 Sporting with the oil finished wood. Browning recommends a small amount of a linseed oil based finish. The three they recommend are: Watco Danish Oil Finish, Deft Oil Finish, and Formby's Tung Oil Finish. Clean the dull or dirty spots using rubbing alcohol and a soft lint free cloth. Allow the wood to dry and use one of the recommended finishes, following the maufacturer's instuctions.
    Fred Wiedemann

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

napawino, it gets a little tricky when you say "linseed oil based." Most of these finishes use blends of oils such as linseed and tung oil which are modified, as does Tru-oil. That means they dry quick and hard. Pure oils dry too slow and aren't something most of us would want to mess with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

maintaining browning oil finish

olympic antique oil finish