1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ADVISE FOR FUTURE P OR K GUN OWNER?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Westie, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Westie

Westie Member

Currently shoot a BT 99 with adjustable comb and butt plate done by Country Gentlman. Guns fitted by them and it seems to fit well. If I am able to buy a P or K gun some day, I know that I can probably have it custom fitted. Is a person better to do that if he has the time and money or should he have the adjustments added like on my Browning? It seems difficult to buy a new high priced gun only to have the stock cut for an adjustable butt plate but that would mean the gun could be changed later if I changed. Advise please. Thanks.

2. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Kreighoff has one of the best factory adjustable combs and Perazzi one of the worst...it's ugly, with upside down hardware that gets in the way of everything, including just removing the stock. I'd have no problem buying a K gun with their comb, but I wouldn't have Perazzi's if you gave it to me, so I'd buy it without one and have it done.

Ken Rucker...Speedbump Stockworks

3. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

First piece of advice is DON'T BUY A NEW GUN. Trap shooters are an interesting bunch. A guy can win his state championship and start thinking about a new gun within days. Sell off the old gamer. There are always top end used trapguns for sale. Often, cheap.
    I have many P guns. I only bought one of them new and that one I bought in Gardone in 1971. The others I bought because they were such a good deal I couldn't pass.
    Educate yourself about the price of used guns. Watch gunbroker,gunsamerica and auctionarms. Check out adds in some of the trades. No offense to anyone but most things advertised here on trapshooter are WAY overpriced. Go to the big shoots, especially on the last day. I just recently bought a mint MX-8 combo with two sets of triggers and two forends for $4,000. It looks like it just came out of the box. Earlier this year I bought a very nice MX-3 combo with beautiful wood for 2,800.
    Good Luck and Regards, Jake

4. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

I also went from Browning to Perazzi several years ago, best decsion I ever made! They had different comb height stocks and I picked one out that fit me good at the dealer. Hi-Grade had several stocks to try. It fit me like a glove then and still does way over 125,000 rds! Ive replaced one firing pin and put new springs in once, just because I though I should, when Giacomo was at a shoot, and that was at about 100,000. Like everybody else, I look at other guns sometime, but many others feel like a bulky truck compared to the P-gun feeling like a Ferrari!

Lots of people are always looking for something new and diferent, so it would be good decsion to find something used and nice and save some money, but don't look at just a few guns and make a decision just based on a few you look at. Go to the big state shoots or Grand where you can see hundreds of them! If you want new, that is also the best place to look. My Perazzi is still selling for $1000 less than I paid for it, so you will want to look for someone who really wants to sell, there ARE some real nice ones out there!

5. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

Buy a Kolar they will custom fit you with a "try" stock at the dealer......Don

6. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

What is a PORK gun?

7. kreith

kreith Member

I purchased a new K-80 Trap Special in september 2006 and the gun is awesome. I don't know what J.D. is talking about because my gun has a rear pivot point on the rear of the barrel and it adjusts separate from the barrel . Get out and try as many guns as possible. I was at the 06 Grand and tried everything. I won't confuse you on my reasons for not buying one over another but will say you need to try it before you buy it.

good luck

cory

8. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have owned both K-80 and Perazzi. I now own a PerazziMX10RS. That being said, I would buy what I like and have shot before purchasing. Most Perazzi and K-80 stocks did not fit me. If you can, buy the gun without wood and go to a reputable stock fitter and maker and get you a custom stock built. I am left handed, and had nothing but holy hell trying to get stocks to fit me. Some shooters get lucky and the stocks fit them somewhat. Usually it will be the scenario of adj.comb and butt-plate, which may or may not work. Before you know it, you have blown thousands trying to buy a gun that fits. If you find the K-80 or Perazzi you like you can purchase it with the existing wood and sell the wood and get your custom wood made. Hope this helps, Roy

9. romie

romie Active Member

Listen to Jake.Be patient , find a deal and make it fit.
    Beginner

10. XTFreak

XTFreak TS Member

Save your money and keep shooting your Browning.

K80's and Perazzi are so overpriced it is sick.

11. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

I totally agree, Many things are overpriced GMC Trucks,Ford Trucks ,Perazzi Shotguns, K 80's and many other things to numerous to mention.
    But if you would much sooner shoot a Perazzi/K 80 than a Browning , you have a problem.
    Let common sense prevail. If that means shooting a Browning , Let it be.

Happy Shooting.

Joe Woods/Ontario

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

westie, at least you need the rib to bend the barrel on a K-80. You can just about bend a Perazzi barrel between your two fingers-really crappy steel with soft parts that made Giacomo a millionaire!!

13. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

I totally agree, Many things are overpriced GMC Trucks,Ford Trucks ,Perazzi Shotguns, K 80's and many other things to numerous to mention.
    But if you would much sooner shoot a Perazzi/K 80 than a Browning , you have a problem.
    Let common sense prevail. If that means shooting a Browning , Let it be.

Happy Shooting.

Joe Woods/Ontario

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

westie, at least you need the rib to bend the barrel on a K-80. You can just about bend a Perazzi barrel between your two fingers-really crappy steel with soft parts that made Giacomo a millionaire!!

15. Augie Daddi

Augie Daddi TS Member

I believe in the saying 'Whatever works for you!'

I also believe in, 'It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian!'

All guns need repair at one time or another.

Some folks have great success with certain guns, while others have poor results with certain guns.

Bashing or praising one over another is specific to an individual and his/her choice of guns.

Remember, if it works for you, keep it!

Augie

16. Wentez

Wentez Member

Snapthecat -- the subject is P or K gun. Perazzi or Kreighoff.

Geo

17. Westie

Westie Member

Thanks for the input. Looks like the majority believe in waiting for a good used gun and having adjustable hardware added to fit the shooter. Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.