1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by FNG, Jun 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FNG

FNG Member

0   0   0

I'm currently drafting a "for sale or trade" posting. I don't have any experience doing this via this site. I've read a number of transactions here but would appreciate some advice form those of you who have experience doing all this over the internet.
    -Do I post my e-mail address and phone number in the listing ?
    -when/if I reach an agreement with a buyer, do I have my FFL holder ship to his/her FFL holder and then include those costs in the total price ?
    -What's the best way to arrange payment ? Do I wait for check to clear then ship ? If I do that, I won't know what the shipping costs will be.
    -Any other tips ?
    Thanks for your help.

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

0   0   0

Basic advice would be to post as much info about the item you're selling and photos are a must with guns. If you are not willing to learn to photo posting process, there are several posters who will help you by doing it with photos you email to them. Include any info about how to reach you that you are comfortable with, email address and/or phone number is up to you but you could begin communication via "Private Messages" right on this forum front page. The typical advice from there is to use the telephone to get familiar with those interested in your item and get a feel for whether you are trusting of the person or not. Over the phone all the agreements can be made. Many use PayPal to exchange money but money orders, Cashier's Checks, or personal checks are things you can discuss and agree upon. It's not unusual to insist on a personal check clearing before sending an expensive item. Sending a gun will have to be to an FFL licensee and you may offer an inspection/trial period of say 3 days to a buyer or simply insist on more or less freedom to change one's mind. Typically sellers shoot for all expenses paid by the buyer but that's not etched in stone and would be part of that phone negotiating. You should be able to guesstimate your shipping costs by contacting your shipper in advance. To me, the phone call is where you solve most of the questions you asked about and get a feel for the person interested in your item.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

3. FNG

FNG Member

0   0   0

Bob Dodd; Thanks for the information. A couple more questions: Can I personally ship directly to the buyer's FFL contact and how do I verify that I'm shipping to a legitimate FFL holder ? Thanks again.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

0   0   0

goose has it right.....Bob Dodd

5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Once you have the FFL from the buyer check it at the above link to make sure it is a valid FFL. BUlge.

6. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

0   0   0

My one and only completed transaction on this site was purchasing a used MEC 650 late last year. After numerous emails back and forth from the seller, I was able to see the merchandise and meet the seller as he lived with 60 miles. I was totally satisfied and the deal could not have happened if we didn't have this website.
    The second attempted transaction advertised a gun for sale. Communication was started but I listed 10 questions about the gun and no further response. I even re-sent the email with the same 10 questions and no response as to whether the gun was sold nor any status. I am very cautious about buying sight unseen but that's just my opinion. BT-100dc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.