1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice Wanted: Stereo Speakers

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Chango2, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Re-doing interior of home. Wife wants a more formal look. To keep things clean, might (and I agree) have to give up beloved JBL ("non-Northridge") three way box speakers...go to smaller speakers. I'm old school, no home theater, but just a plain Carver Receiver and two speakers...question; what are some great sounding smaller speakers with great sound worthy of being driven by a Carver? Being from So-Cal, I'm spoiled re. that "JBL Sound"...but I'm open minded. Thanks in advance to any audiophile. BTW, I may sell, but not ship a pair of JBL L-110's and a Pair of JBL L-19's. Both need a little work, but sound great...classic JBL stuff. AUDIOPHILES OUT THERE?

2. 4N6PE

4N6PE Member

Consult Stereophile Recommended Components issue [last was April '10] for best sounding speakers. You're probably looking for small 2-way speakers on stands. There is much to choose from.
    You should consider upgrading from your Carver. You'll be amazed at the improvement with current electronics.

Ned

3. cpd544

cpd544 Member

I use all Legacy Audio speakers that are hand made from Springfield, Illinois. The studio model linked here are the ones I use for rear surrounds and are great speakers that do not take up much room and can be used on a stand if desired. The Legacy Focus (linked below) are the ones I use for front speakers but they stand over five feet and weigh about 200 lbs per speaker. The owner of the company is also the designer/sound engineer will be glad to show you around their factory (old farm) and let you listen. I also use Krell amps to power it all. If you want to talk stereo surround let me know it is kind of an addiction for me.
    Jim

http://www.legacyaudio.com/index.php?Itemid=300189&option=com_zoo&view=item&category_id=1&item_id=4

4. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Speaker sound is very much a matter of personal preference, and is not necessarily directly related to cost. Moreover, the quality of the sound you perceive is also significantly affected by the characteristics of your listening room - the size and shape of the room and placement and type of furniture will have significant effects on what you hear. It does not follow that just because a pair of speakers are highly rated they will sound good to you in your home.

Your best bet is to find a local audio dealer and listen to various speakers in his listening rooms. After you pick a set you like, try to get some kind of home trial arrangement. Many audio dealers will do that.

Whatever you do to create a "more formal look", don't go to in-wall speakers. Regardless of the hype, they are quite inferior to stand-alone or box speakers.

Ted K.

5. trapster100

trapster100 Member

See if that Carver can drive these :)

http://www.magnepan.com/model_MMG#content

6. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I have a set of Magnapan MG IIa's that I drive with a Carver M 500T power amp rated at 275 wpc. There's also a 200 watt dual voice coil powered sub woofer behind the right speaker.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Wow, thanks for the input/advice. Very impressive. I tell you this...I believe that trapshooters are, as a group, very knowledgeable because of their sense of adventure and curiosity. I always get good answers and help here...oh, and sometimes I read about shooting.

More speaker information is always appreciated. I am thinking of getting KEF speakers to replacae the JBL's since I have "heard" that they are good, (no pun intended), and have a small footprint in many cases. But that's just subliminal knowlede on my part. I am hardly well versed re. stereo stuff of today. Just an old "Los Angeles boy with his typical JBL's so coveted during college days..."

Regards,

David

8. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Buying speakers is a very personal choice as has been said above. The problem is that most people don't know how to listen and understand and interpret what they are hearing. Go to a reputable audio dealer with some of your favorite cd's and listen to the differences in various speaker models.

While all the speakers will reproduce the sound some will do it more faithfully to the original sound than others. Great speakers will seem to disappear into the music and will leave you with an amazing sense of being there.

You'll know when you have found the right ones for you when the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. The Magnapans in my photo above are 32 years old and still impart the same sense of awe as they did when I first heard them. Good luck in your search, it can be fun and educational.

Eric

9. quartering

quartering Active Member

bose. they have some wild stuff. and showrooms all across the country where you can go in and try 'em out. good luck with it

10. cpd544

cpd544 Member

Some pictures of my system, Legacy speakers, Krell amps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

cpd544,

Very nice system. All high end components. I'm sure it sounds wonderful. It seems from the pictures that your room is all hard reflective surfaces, perhaps an area rug would help to dampen any acoustic issues and tighten up the sonic image.

Eric

12. cpd544

cpd544 Member

Eric:
    You are correct, I had a pipe burst a while back and ruined all my carpeting. I went back with wood floors and love it but it definitely needs and area rug or two I just have not found ones I like. It really does change the sound of the system. I am definitely a stereo addict but I love music including good old loud Rock and Roll. There is one stipulation though, it has to be loud and sound good and the Legacy Focus speakers are some of the best sounding speakers I have ever heard for everything from Jazz to Metallica. I also prefer the sound of the Krell amps but it is all mostly personal preference, if it sounds good to you then buy it.

If it's too loud then your too old, lol.

Jim - an old hippie

13. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks again, will keep watching this thread and will contact TinMan88 in next few days. Very educational responses and MUCH appreciated.

David

14. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Chango,

What ever system you end up with you don't need or want to spend lots of $$$ for high end exotic speaker cable. 16ga lamp cord from Home Depot is all you need. It's only wire, there are no magic ingredients in there. Being an audiophile is fun, being an audiophool is not.

Eric

15. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I recall "monster wire" being on the market and some gold ended things. I believe lamp cord hurts efficiency at high outputs?

One problem I find: Stereo stores with high end stuff seem to have disappeared; where can one go for a listen these days? I'd like to investigate the sounds of tall, but narrow Infinities or Kef's...looking for the very lively and well defined horn-like sound of a jbl that I'm used to; don't care as much for a flat, albeit accurate response such as in an old Advent(s) which are fine speakers...

(I live in Los Angeles, California)

16. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Tinman,

It's all about the gauge of the wire. If 16ga wire is not heavy enough for the Krells then you can go to 12ga or 10ga or even 4ga. It's still stranded & twisted wire. There are some makers of speaker cables that add RC or RL or LC networks to their cables to shape the frequency response of the signal by selective frequency adjustments which does make the speaker sound different compared to using normal cable. Different is not always better.

One might be better seved by adding a 2 channel 32 band graphic equalizer or a DSP program between the preamp and the power amp to shape the frquency response for the system and the room it's in. At least that way you can change the settings to suit you rather than having it fixed by a cable maker.

Eric

17. ORG

ORG Member

Chango2, don't get rid of that Carver receiver. There have been improvements, yes, but you can spend a lot of money for minimum gain. The Carver amp I have sitting between my McIntosh MX 115 receiver and my 4 Bose 901 series II speakers pushes out quality sound just fine.

18. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Changeo2,

You might want to visit your nearest Best Buy for the type of speakers you're looking for. You're right in that the dedicated high end audio stores have some what vanished. This is due in part to the younger generation who think that MP3 quality audio they've down loaded and listen to on their Ipods is where it's at.

Industry projections for CD's say that within 5 years the CD will go the way of the LP. Eventually all media will be a download with all the compression artifacts required to keep bandwidth to a minimum. The old saying about "fast-cheap-good, please pick two" is the watch word today. As Pogo used to say "we have seen the enemy and he is us".

Eric

19. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Tinman,

I understand where you're comming from but you need to know that my sign on name "Mixer" is because I've spent my entire career as a sound mixer in recording studios and in the field recording dialog for film & tv. I'm not saying that I know more than you about audio than you and you're certainly entitled to your opinion but the speaker cable debate has been going on probably longer than you've been alive. There have been serious audiophiles who championed solid core speaker cable citing the skin effect of solid core as being either good or bad depending on who you wanted to believe. Nothing was ever proven either way.

I remember when Monster cable came out and people wet their pants because they believed it had some magic powers that made their speakers sound better because the salesman told them it would and at $50 for an 8ft pair they had to believe it had magic powers. In truth esoteric cables made some difference in some speakers over a wide range of results. Controlled double blind testing showed that people couldn't tell the difference between Monster and hardware store 16ga cable and when they said they could most times they picked the hardware store cable.

I will say that Monster has a great marketing department as they sold the public a real bill of goods. Someone here mentioned the Bose speakers, there was a saying in the industry that said and no offense to anyone who listens on Bose, "No highs, No Lows, it must be Bose" In any event, if the cable you're using gives you the results that please your ears then by all means continue to use it.

Eric

20. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

For my personal awe inspiring favorite check out the JBL Ranger Paragon. 8 feet wide, it's a piece of furniture.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bozak speaker for sale johannesburg