1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice wanted: refinishing Remington 31 TC stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

I am purchasing a Remington 31 TC with a stock that needs work. It has a good forend.

I was planning on stripping the bubbled varnish with denatured alcohol and steel wool. Does this make sense?

Any suggestions about how to reseal the stock.

I plan on shooting this gun, a full restoration would come later.

Thanks
    Lou
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bushmaster1313

Then what would I do?

Maybe I will shoot it a bit and then sell the whole rig to you

Regards

Lou

3. flamborn

flamborn TS Member

I've refinished a few pieces of furniture with Antique Furniture Restorer and it works real nice. With light pressure it removes the varnish but not much color. More pressure will lighten the color some. With a few light coats of Tung oil I think the stock will look great.

4. Bushmaster1313

Do you have a trade name for the product?

"Antique furniture restorer" did not get any good hits on Google.

Thanks

Lou

5. 333t

333t Member

I doubt if denatured alcohol would do anything to soften the finish. I have used Jasco Epoxy Paint Remover with very good success. Do this in a well ventilated area and use rubber gloves. Paint on the remover, let set awhile until it bubbles and turns light color, then wipe it off with paper towels. Use a craft stick to scrape off stubborn spots. Use a stiff brush to get the old varnish out of the checkering. Don't sand the checkering. You might have to do this a couple of times to get the stock clean and ready to resand. Tru-Oil gives a very nice finish that will closely match the original factory finish. Do all of this with the stock removed from the gun of course. That looks like a type 41 TC with the all steel trigger and receiver. Nice guns.

Phil

6. flamborn

flamborn TS Member

Sorry Lou. It's Minwax - Antique Furniture Refinisher.

Fred

7. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I second the use of a furniture refinishing product that is applied with steel wool. Minwax makes spray polyurethane in three different variations of sheen. I think they are gloss, semi-gloss and satin. I would consider the one that comes closest to matching the original finish, probably semi-gloss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington 31 tc any good

remington 31tc stock

will tru oil adhere to remingtons stock finish