1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice Wanted: Digital Movie Camera

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Chango2, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Hi,

Wife and I were at Costco tonight..saw the digital "handy cams" etc. We are taking a trip to the Orient next spring, and would like to have a camera to take along. I "know from nothing" about these small digital movie cameras; I did see one Sony with a 120 gig hardrive etc. But what brand, configuration, etc., should I look for?

I believe trapshooters are also "good at" knowing cars and gadgets..as a group, anyway.

Thanks and any advice much appreciated,

David

2. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

Not sure how they operate, but consumer reports lists the following as their top pics.

Standard Definition:
    Canon DC410 - $275
    Canon ZR960 - $250
    Samsung SMX-F34 - $300

High Definition:
    Canon VIXIA HV40 - $800
    Canon VIXIA HF S10 - $1300
    Canon VIXIA HF S100 - $1000
    Sony HDR-XR500V - $1300
    Sony HDR-CX100 - $500

Page 28 November 2009

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Spend the extra $$$ for a high def camera. The resolution difference is well worth the expense.

Eric

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Mixer...are you a cement man or a sound mixer? I figured if the latter, you see all kinds of video stuff from slightly afar. Thanks to you and sigraph..I no longer subscribe to Consumer's Reports 'cause have most of the stuff I "need"...but this time, needed info. Any other advice from any others greatly appreciated.

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Chango2,

I'm a sound mixer and work with all types of video cameras from $1,000 consumer to $150,000+ professional cameras. HD is the way to go. Standard Definition cameras will be a thing of the past in less than a year as will linear tape. If you really want to spend some serious money for an HD cam then I would seriously recomend the Sony EX3 Cinealta, street price is $8500.

Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.