1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice Requested: Gun Coating or Bluing or...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chango2, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Indicated I have a nice shooter, a new to me Super X-1. Not collectable, so I'm thinking of having receiver and trigger either reblued...or??? some kind of hi-tech durable coating. Maybe black teflon or satin finish electroless nickle.

Can readers recommend companies that "know what they are doing" to work on this gun and any types of coating recommended? Part of me says keep it Winchester style blue, but the other part of me says I want to shoot this gun, not look at it, hence want something very strong and practical.

Advice re. coating and "where to have it done" greatly appreciated.

(Ahab, no I won't use a rattle can to recoat the gun, but I just thought of that and it's tempting...)

Thanks,

David

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

David..... I currently have a Perazzi TMS on its way to Doug Braker, The Gun DR., for a complete rebuild. He is going to teflon coat the barrel, receiver, forend iron and latch. He is extremely good at this kind of coating, and it is very durable. While I'm sure there are lots of others that do the same process, I prefer to go to Doug because he stands behind his work, and is a true gentleman to deal with. As soon as I get the TMS back, I am sending him a 90T low rib for a complete restoration as well. Everything will get the teflon coating, except the side plates, which are deeply engraved.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks, I saw a 90-T that I believe was done by Doug Braker...fellow told me, and name sounds familiar. Can you send along his address or # and does he have a website? I think black teflon would be what I'm looking for; the trap marked barrel is very nice with shiny Winchester style blue. Barrel is a special by Moneymaker. Wood is nice, maybe grade 2+ I'd call it walnut. Receiver has some blue wear as does trigger guard. I don't want to do something in bad taste, yet this is not a restoration. Perhaps black teflon and a gold plated trigger?

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Dan- Please post pics when your gun comes back. My friend just had his kolar barrels redone by Doug in a matte black teflon, looks ALOT like the factory matte finish, but a little coarser, and i'm interested to see how it looks on a receiver.

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

David, I second what Dan said, use Doug and I reccommend the black teflon but the Nickel nitrate is also durable and attractive

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

David...... Dougs information is in the link above.

Skeetman.... I'll be happy to post the pictures when I get the gun back. Doug is going to teflon the receiver and then re-polish the stripes back on the receiver to bring back the "factory finish" look. This TMS will be completely re-stored. Locking block replaced, action tightened, all new springs, etc. Even the choke tubes and choke tube wrench will be teflon coated. I had an aluminum custom case made for it with black velour on the inside, and the "PERAZZI" logo embroidered into the inside of the lid of the case. Gun has an Allem release in it, which will also be teflon coated. As soon as it's completed, it goes up for sale as I'm going to keep the low rib 90T for my pot shooting gun, so the TMS will have to go...... Dan

7. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Get it blued guns just look better the way they came from the factory in my opinion.

8. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Contact Doug Braker. He did a great job with teflon on my gun...

9. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

SR1... While a lot may agree with you, there are some of us that really like to tinker with the looks of our guns. My reason for teflon coating is longevity. I want the finish to last, and look nice as well. The 90T came from the factory with a dull satin finish that teflon closely resembles. I took the receiver of my DB-18 combo and stripped it down and polished it. It is still "in the white", and that has been over 3 years ago. Still looks like it did the day I did it. I also polished the forend irons and the latches. The gun looks outstanding with the polished receiver, forend irons, latches, blued barrels, and gold precision trigger assembly..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

10. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

If you are looking to have a gun re finished and want some thing different, there is a company call Robar (Robar.com) out west that does different finish I had a Model 12 done in what thay call Np3 which is nickel teflon and it came out great and the price was real good and thay had fast turn around, you should check them out, thay my have what you are looking for.

11. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

My misstake it's called Robar Guns the web site is (robar guns.com)

12. flamborn

flamborn TS Member

One of the guns MIA recently listed for sale was teflon coated by Doug Braker. The pics are here on the site. I think it looks great.

13. biff

biff Active Member

Check out Hoosier Gun Coat's website. They did 3 guns for me with a Cerakote that made them look like stainless, it IS tough stuff! There's some pictures of it on here if you do a search on "New Design Ljutic Pro 3". Biff.

14. TechGuy

TechGuy TS Member

My BT-100, although faithfully cleaned and oiled finally started pitting on the reciever due to the acid sweat from my hand. I faced your choice and decided on cerekote done by Glenrock blueing in Glenrock Wyoming. Phil could not have been more professional to deal with, the gun was returned very close to the promised date, and it looks awsome. It was coated in flat black. I chose cerekote over blueing for it's durability against my acid sweat and the elements we shoot in here in Wisconsin.

In Phils opinion, due to the sweat factor the cerekote would be more durable vs. teflon, and yes they can do teflon along with conventional bluing. I suggest you consider all the elements attacking your gun before you make your choice. Call Phil and talk over your ideas and I am positive you will get good information.

Rob

15. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I prefer Bluing, but that's what I do

Except for those with acidic hands, to me, bluing is the best.

Followed closely by Nickle plating, for the parts that the blue gets worn or taken off to fast. I do the prep work and have a plating shop that lets me walk the parts thru the plating line.

Al Lingham

16. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I had a rifle receiver black oxide coated to exactly match a Leupold scope's matte black finish by BlackCote Inc. (see the URL above). Very reasonable prices ($25 for the receiver, recoil lug and bolt) and quick turnaround time (one week).

Ed

17. tomward

tomward TS Member

Dan, I too share your affinity for DB 81's. Can you e mail me a couple of pics of your DB 81. Hope all is well with you. Thanks. Tom Ward

18. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Tom.... Check your PM..... Dan

19. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of the Metalife finish.

It is a hard chrome finish that looks very much like a mat-finished stainless steel.

Very hard and wildly corrosion resistant.

A true electroplating it bonds down into the surface of the metal - not on top of it. Again, it is very hard (Rockwell 71) with a high lubricity.

20. biff

biff Active Member

[​IMG]

This is what Cerakote looks like on a Ljutic. This stuff is tuff! Biff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.