1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice Please: Stuck Choke Tube

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chango2, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Bought a used gun that I really like. Somebody put in a Briley choke tube, thin wall, but likely used some kind of adhesive, maybe, and I hope not, red locktight. I've tried to take the tube out using a Briley Wrench, but no go. What is a good method to unstick the choke without damaging anything?

Much, Much, appreciated any help.

Thanks,

David

2. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

I got one unstuck once by making the barrel very cold (freezer). This cooling method also worked for me when I had a spotting scope screw-on objective cover that was stuck that I didn't want to damage by putting a wrench on it. I chilled it in the freezer and after about a half hour it unscrewed easily. Cooling makes the metal shrink a bit. The wall thickness of the barrel and the choke will shrink a tiny amount when cooled. The I.D. of the barrel becomes a bit larger and the O.D. of the choke tube a little smaller. Heating the end of the barrel will only make everything tighter. Hopefully you are dealing with some thread lubricant that has just congealed rather than someone actually using loctite on the threads. ....Rick

3. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks for a first good idea; any and all appreciated so I have an aresenel of ideas when I go after this problem.

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The I.D. of the barrel will become smaller too. It does not know, after all, whether it's a barrel or a choke tube.

Soak it in penetrating oil for a couple of days Then try again, with a bit of heat. (Take the bead off first.)

When you run out of advice that doesn't work, PM me and I'll loan you a tool that will get it out (and maybe knurl the choke a bit on the inside for you as well.)

Neil

5. dave391

dave391 TS Member

If the choke and barrel are both made of steel they will expand or contract the same if heated or cooled. If you have a hair dryer you might be able to get it hot enough to loosen whatever adhesive they used, and you won't get it too hot with a hair dryer. Hope that helps.
    Dave

6. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Fan it with a propane torch, lightly, very lightly, and it should come loose. I have had good luck with this method. If you don't feel comfortable with the torch, use very hot water.

7. STOS

STOS Member

Chances are the tube was put in without anything on it.It will become so tight it is hard to get them loose.You should always use a choke lube when installing choke tubes.Not sure what method is best used in getting stuck one out.

8. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

Submerse the end of the barrel and tube in PB Blaster for a while then hit with a hair dryer. Worked great the couple times I had a stuck tube to deal with.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

9. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Remove front bead first. Follow Neal's advise about the soaking in penatrating oil for a couple of days. Then wipe off all excess oil and heat with a hair dryer. You might insert the choke wrench and then tap on it lightly with a hammer before trying to turn the choke.

In all my racing days I have found heat and vibration are what worked for me to loosen a stuck bolt, spark plug or whatever.

Good luck Dave --

Tom Strunk

10. humboldtwarrior

humboldtwarrior TS Member

If you heat the barrel up from the right angle the barrel will expand before the choke will do to that fact that the heat will have to penetrate the metal of the barrel first before it starts heating the choke tube. get a blow torch and start heating it from the side while also trying to loosen the choke tube if you heat it all the way before trying to get it out you might have heated the choke tube to.

11. hdskip

hdskip Member

KROIL

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

All of the above is useful.. but if they used Red Loctite.. you'll need to see 500 degrees before anything happens.. and 700 is better..

13. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Any idea what temperature before damage to blue and damage to barrel?

14. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I sure fear high heat; the rib bracket is silver soldered to the barrel and could loosen. It's a Cole barrel; why anybody would have aftermarket chokes added, even Brileys as in this case, beats the doo-doo out of me.

15. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks Ikey, I have been advised to send it to Briley, come to think of it..I should contact them before trying anything more radical than Kroil and/or hot water.

16. Pat McKean

Pat McKean Active Member

If the rib is silver soldered on the temperature it will come loose is about 450 degrees. Hot water can only get to 212 degrees.

Find a way to hold a hot barrel. I used some old 1x4 lumber on the garden bench to make a quick fixture.

Go get some inexpensive cooking oil and heat it on the stove in a saucepan to around 300- 325 degrees. The oil should be about 4" deep.

Stick the muzzle of the barrel with the stuck choke tube in it and let it set about five minutes. Stick it in your pre-made fixture and back the choke tube out.

Use a good choke tube wrench (Remington worked best for me)

-Pat

17. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Another vote for PB Blaster and a hair dryer. PB Blaster is specifically for penetrating/freeing up threads. Hey, worth a shot and won't damage anything.

[EDIT] Penetrant and heat worked once on a stuck axle nut when I bought a very low-mileage motorcycle with loose chain. (I wanted to strangle the monkey that assembled that bike). Applied PB Blaster and it visibly sucked into the threads. But it took a propane torch and a cheater bar to finally free it. Personally, I wouldn't use propane on a gun though. Mr. Winston's "special tool" may be necessary.

18. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Only as a last resort. [​IMG]

Hauxfan!

19. Turn 4

Turn 4 TS Member

All the above ideas are fruitful however if you are not far from a local airport go the the hangar and see if you can get a can of "Mouse Milk"... no joke.. it is used for breaking free exhaust turbine hardware... or... simply obtain a few ounces of any brand turbine oil(waste is OK). Let either one soak over night and the bond will be broken.

Whatever you do... don't bugger up the slots for the wrench... a ground down wood hole saw works well in the groves of the choke.

Good Luck

Don Kaufman

20. jhoward

jhoward Member

I took one to a local machine shop where they cut a special 'wrench' out of a piece of bar stock, clamped the 'wrench' in a vice, and used a strap wrench on the barrel to turn it. That was after soaking it in penetrating oil over night. There was no adhesive on the tube it, but the guy I got it from hadn't lubed it and it rusted in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to get a choke tube unstuck

how to loosen congealed tube glue

how to remove stuck briely choke tubes

how to unstick a choke from gun barrel