1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice Please: Re.: Wood Pellets

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Chango2, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Again, I'm back to the "cracker barrel" part of TS.Com and am ever grateful for it. This should be an easier question. You guys have helped me greatly re. the home emergency generator. I am going north to the vacation home on Monday.

Question: We have a pellet stove and central propane heat. No woodburner, darn. Curious: I have been told that some pellet brands are better than others.

What is a good pellet brand and what to look for based upon your experience...this will be in the El Dorado County (Placerville, California) area of California.

Thanks again,

David

2. locdoc

locdoc Member

Pellets made from hardwood would be your best option.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

3. carv

carv Member

This is my second year with a Harmon Accentra insert. I have only burned 3 tons to date so I am no expert. First ton was a mix of hard and soft wood and were premium grade pellets. Burned good ashes did not clump cost $229.00 per ton. Second ton was 100% Oak also premium grade. Burned good ashes did clump badly and also left a coating on the burn pot that almost required a chisel to remove, mater of fact on one cleaning I did remove the burn pot. Took it to the garage and did use an old wood chisel and hammer to remove the coating, cost $187.00 per ton. Third ton is a mix of hard and soft wood, premium grade. I have burned about half a ton so far. Burning good, ashes do not clump and very little if anything sticks to the burn pot. Bought them at Home Depot for $187.00 per ton. I would probably buy the hardwood again if a mix was unavailable at a reasonable cost. But given a choice, I don’t think so. Did not see a difference in the BTU output regardless of pellet used. Hope this helps!

4. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

I burn the pellets that I buy from Walmart, in San Diego. They are a mix of hard and soft wood, Cost $4.76 per 50lb bag.....not cheap, but leave powder ash with no buildup what so ever, super easy to clean out..I just brush the chimney pipe each summer...LarryB

5. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Pine will likely produce creosote and the potential for a chimney fire. Don't ask me how I know about chimney fires.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.