1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice Please: How to Shoot a Pump or Autoload

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chango2, Dec 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I shoot a typical boxlock SBT trapgun most of the time. Now and then, I'll "air out" an old pumper or a sporting clays Beretta with a trap barrel, a 390. But...darn, I tend to set off the trap from the voice pull when loading the pumper or the auto. How do the experienced shooters of these get around that?

Shoot Often and Well,

Thanks,

David

2. YUKONJACK

YUKONJACK TS Member

The only way I can tink of is to put some sponge in the speaker and face it away from you.You will have to call a little louder to get a bird but this should help.Another way woud be to point the muzzle staight up with the breach opening facing away from the speaker when you close it.Hope this helps.Yukon Jack

3. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I shoot an auto loader in doubles. What I do is wait for a shooter, not the one immediately before me, to call for his bird. I release the bolt on his call, there is an interrupter on the trap that will not throw a targer for several seconds after a call. This seems to be sufficient. If shooting new or full length resized shells you can release the bolt and hold the lever and allow it to come forward slowly, also. I find it much easier to push the release and let it fly immediately after a shooter calls.

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks...good ideas, I was naive. One time in ATA, my main gun was in the shop, so I grabbed an antique 870 trap model. Darn if I didn't set off a few birds in the singles race. But...I was impressed, the junior shooter to my left ran 100! I heaved a sigh of relief after that one.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Easiest is to time it for when your neighbor fires. The circuitry is dead at that time and you can slam, shout, blow your horn or whatever.

When I shoot my 1100 that's what I do.

aHM

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

what Mr.John T. just said works perfectly I shoot a Mod.31 pump & 1 of my shooting buddy's shoots a semi.auto (1100) & we very rarely set off unintensional targets... remember you have to pay for them all sooooo, you might as well break em all..good shooting.
    Ross

7. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

There's a 2.5 second delay between targets to allow the trap machine time to cycle up to throw the next target.

Eric

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Use the timing method described above. Time your bolt closing to occur immediately after the person two posts up the line fires their shot. The delay in the CVR will not use the noise to trigger the trap.

Avoid closing the bolt slowly, that will be alot more distacting to the squad, especially if you have failures to fire beauce the gun wasn't in battery.

9. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

Having started just a few years ago, we were counseled to always close the bolt 2 people before you, that way you would not disturb the shooter next to you while they were shooting. As we travel to clubs that have gun handling rules that are strictly enforced, we have noticed some that truly insist on enforcing the "do not load before it is you turn" rules. Verify each club's concern over this rule. If you are forbidden to close your action (even with the gun pointed downrange) before your turn, we have had luck with simply holding the action back against your body, so your body is between the mike and the action.
    Don't twist, keep your gun down range when you do this.

dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.