1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice Please: Burn Barrel etc.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Chango2, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

This city couple, wife and I, just purchased a vacation home in a mountain area that allows open burning on one's land during certain times of the year and under certain conditions. We just bought a burning permit and spoke with the local fire department. I think this is neat; will help us clean up debris on the land that is really just about 1/4 acre. Question: What will make a low cost and effective way to contain a fire? A burn barrel?

If a burn barrel, what kind or how to jury-rig one? I thought of an old 55 gallon drum or a metal washing machine agitator...but both of those are a bit, ahh..ugly, "impoverished" looking for want of any other term.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated: Effectiveness, safety, cost, are the major considerations.

Area is in El Dorado County, California.

Thanks from this "City Boy",

David Buchman
    Los Angeles

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Get a 4 foot diameter concrete sewer pipe, around 3 foot section with a hole in the side for connecting smaller pipe. Stand on end, fashion a top of steel with a smoke pipe, and load it from the hole in the side. You can get cute with grates, just a piect of driveway mesh works.

When you are done you can paint it and put hippie flowers on it. it won't get hot enough to hurt the paint.

Much nicer than a burn barrel.

HM

3. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I sell my old 55 gal drums to people all the time for a burn barrel.. most take a 22 shoot a few dozen holes in it for air intake and they are good to go...

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Got the barrels in stainless? Just kidding...back in the day, yes I'm that old, we had incenerators in the backyard here in....Los Angeles, early 50's.

David

5. Herb Roach

Herb Roach Member

I like the idea of the culver pipe, but I have found that eventually you are going to have to clean it out as it will fill with residue. Barrels are worse as they rot out and then you have to remove the barrel too. Buy a tractor with a bucket, that way you can pick up the burn pit, move it, scoop up the residue, put it in plastic bags and take it to the landfill. Maybe the comment about the tractor should have been at the top of the post, and then you could eliminate the burn pit, the tractor and the residue. Box or bind you paper and call the local Boy Scouts, take everything else to the landfill.

6. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

We had one at the range for cardboard and we set it on 3 concrete blocks . Drilled 6 - 2 in. holes in the bottom for drainage and 8 on the bottom sides about 6 inches up for air inlet . Get a heavy screen for the top to stop large pieces from leaving the barrel and stopping another fire in CA . .

7. docjonsn

docjonsn TS Member

Chango2 I am only about 30 min. away if you wan some help setting up a burn barrel send me a PM with contact info and I will come up and help

Pete

P.S. I am a contractor so any tool needed I probably have.

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The problem with a burn barrel or any container is that you cant fit much in them

Plus you have to wrestle them around to eventually remove the residue- and they are somewhat unsightly

why not just a hole or a depression in the ground?

Regards from Iowa

Gene

9. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I'm assuming you are not going to try to clean up your 1/4 acre site on 1 or 2 weekends, so the 55 gallon barrel is perfect. It also weighs about 1000 lbs less than a 4 ft concrete culvert pipe and is a lot cheaper than a tractor and loader. A stainless barrel will probably cost you $50 at a scrap yard but a regular steel barrel usually goes from $3-$5 in my area. You can cut both ends out of the barrel, shovel some dirt around the bottom and when it has a foot or so of ashes, after making sure there is no fire/hot coals left, just move it to the next place you want to clear, rake the ashes and they will blow away. As someone mentioned earlier, use a screen or something on the top to keep everything in the barrel and if the wind is blowing, WAIT until another day. Larry Evans

10. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

A garden hose.

Throw it all in a pile and burn it. Have a hose handy. No big deal.

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Our club has an old fuel oil tank up on legs with openings in each end. Also has a stove pipe vented through the top. Works great for burning target boxes ect...

Been going strong for many years.

12. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

My Grandpa uses a barrel with both ends open, the bottom is set onto 4 bricks for a little rise. This gives great air flow from the bottom. He only burns paper, wood, sticks or anything that will completely burn up and not just melt. This has been going on for about 4 years now with the SAME barrel and the bottom is still EMPTY.....never had to empty anything!! The key is only what is completely burnable and the bottom open. I would say he uses the barrel an average of two to three times per week.

13. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I was hoping this was a question about whether the poster could burn his reloading residue in a burn barrel. I was ready with the answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.