1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

advice on travel trailer?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by al3526, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. al3526

al3526 TS Member

looking to purchase travel trailer so that my family and i can visit and participate in several eastern state shoots. bestow upon us any advice that will make the experience better. looking at a 28 ft bunkhouse for three adults. thanks al

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

They're all too short when living in it and they're all too long and awkward when towing or maneuvering. They're all too low when making the bed, and too tall when working on the roof. The secret is to be able to live with a bit of limited space but don't get so tight you hate it. My opinion, from 2 truck campers and 3 - 5th wheels at different times is something in the 26 to 30 foot range is a fair balance of too small when stopped and too big when moving or maneuvering. Weight also will be a serious consideration when you think about even 26 to 30' and living where you'll travel the western mountains and hills requiring a diesel engine for comfortable towing. The 5th wheel is better at maneuvering while the pull trailer is usually lower in height, a bit less expensive, and permits carrying a lot in the bed of your truck. Good luck.....Bob Dodd

ps; Oh, then know this - all the manufacturers basically use the same equipment as far as stoves, furnace, water system, windows, etc. and it's more about HOW they put it together than which windows, furnace, toilets, and so forth. BD

3. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

As big as you can pull, as long as you feel comfortable with, a little more than you think you can afford, and try to find one like it someone owns that you can fool around in for a while to see what the cramped conditions are really like.

I bought a 23' for a deer camp and it is like living in a closet with three of us. Sinks small, showers for a beanpole, beds O.K. and dinette for midgets.

However, we have a ball....dad and his two kids enjoying the fun of hunting, cooking, playing cards, and peeing outside.

4. Texas Crew'd

Texas Crew'd Member

advice on travel trailer????

Rent a Cadillac and stay in nice hotels...you'll save money..lol

That being said, many of the bunkhouses are set up for kids. Yes an adult can sleep in the bunk but not comfortably. I have a 29 Bunkhouse 5er that is actually a 32. Many manufacturers label fifth wheels and trailers shorter than the actually are.

What will you be pulling it with? Most RV salesmen will try to sell you a 40' and tell you a half ton pick up will pull it with overload springs.

Shop the internet. The Laredo I ended up with was $21,400 in Pheonix the local dealer would not back off of $35,900.

Plan on 10 mpg for a diesel and less for a gasser. Put good tires on it and have 2 spares.

Take an intial short trip in it. Set it up and go through everything and make sure it's all in working order prior to hooking up a driving a long way from home.

There are a lot of good deals out there right now on used as well as new. If you have time go direct to the factory and have one built to your specs.

5. JIM SIMS

JIM SIMS Member

Pay particular attention to you weights
    IE G.V.W.,Max tow weight,gross combined,axle weight
    and DO NOT under any circumstances listen to the R.V
    saleperson when they tell you"OH YES,YOU TRUCk WILL PULL IT JUST FINE"
    Reguards
    Jim

6. illiniphil

illiniphil Member

advice on travel trailer????

I will limit my response to travel trailers as thats what you said you were intered in. First of all find out what the towing capacity of your vehicle is (and don't trust the RV dealer - do your research). Second, I would focus on travel trailers with slide-outs as they really increase your space. Compare the fresh and black water capacity between various brands and try to find the one that has the largest amount. Other than that it's all about what luxuries/options you want to pay for.

As far as length, if your considering a 28 ft., there really isnt that much towing difference between that and a 30 or 31' trailer and it will give you much more room if you can afford it.

5th wheels are absolutely great, easier to tow but quite a bit more pricey and require special towing requirements with your truck.

Best of luck. My family has thoroughly enjoyed our camping experiences...now that the kids are grown I now get to use my travel trailer to go to shoots.

7. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Buy a wrecked one and fix it. you can get into one for less than 1/2 price. Bill

8. deereRalph

deereRalph Member

Bill Grill
    Where to you suggest I look for a wreck. Sounds like a good idea. Is there an internet place to look?
    Grif

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Advice: Properly invest the money you would waste on a trailer and let the interest pay for your lodging in a decent motel/hotel, food and other expenses.

Whatever you plan to buy will only be worth 50% once the taillights go over the curb.

Curt

10. al3526

al3526 TS Member

we thought about doing the hotel thing but we want the ability to have a comfy place to retreat during the day. i talked the dealer down to 16k for a 23k rig. it weighs 1500 lbs under the max for my vehicle (hummer h2). the 28 bunkhouse has a queen up front a double bed as the bottom bunk and a living room slide. i have never towed a trailer so to me that is the unknown variable in this equation. pls all comments are appreciated. al

11. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

grif, there is a salvage auction called copart that has hundreds of auctions all over the us. there sticker on wallstreet is cprt. they used to be dealer only but anyone can buy from them now.they are the largest salvage auction in the country. there also many other private salvage auctions but they may be dealer only.mannheim auctions out of pa. usually has a salvage auction also but not sure they do campers & i am sure they are dealer only. . copart is probably your best bet..dwain

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Al,

Just remember that is 1500 under max for your truck with the trailer empty. By the time you put everything in the trailer you want to (pots, pans, clothing, bedding, dishes, food, etc....) , you'll be at max.

I haven't pulled a travel trailer for a few years, it used to be a good idea to invest in a stabilizer hitch. Make sure you have enough mirror. Too much rearview mirror is never enough.

Stay on top of driveline servicing as your engine, transmission, transfer case, differentials will all be working a lot harder pulling a trailer.

ss

13. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Go on e-bay under travel trailer---they have some for restoration---sjb

14. jeff rasmussen

jeff rasmussen TS Member

I have had two different Jayco Eagles. I shopped a bunch and bought the Jayco due to reputation for quality and two year complete warranty. I drove to Indiana and saved a lot of money. Bought one in Elkhart and the other in Indianapolis. Be aware a Hummer will not pull much weight.

15. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

A bunkhouse will take away space from your living room. If you plan on spending alot of time inside the trailer during the day, you might want to consider no bunkhouse, but have a sofa bed for the extra sleeper. If you are staying close to home, (can make the trip in one day) you don't need to worry about where the refrig is located, however, if you plan on driving cross country and will be making stops along the way, be sure you can access the refrig with all the slides pulled in.

16. al3526

al3526 TS Member

thanks for all those that replied. al

17. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I have a 1972 Avion.Bought it for $4000.Clean as a whistle and I live in it about 1 month a year.I know they are getting hard to find but they don't make em like that anymore.Built in an airplane factory damn near to airplane quality.I think they stop building them in 1988 but if you can find 1 that has been taken care of they are great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.