1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on starting a new public trap facility

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by netminder, Sep 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. netminder

netminder TS Member

I am interested in staring a public trap, skeet and sporting clays facility in the next couple of years and I would appreciate any direction that ya'll are willing to give. I am not sure how zoning works but I do know that a piece of property is going to be my largest obstacle along with insurance.

What are the first steps I need to be taking? Are there any books that would help me get started? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you all so much!

2. netminder

netminder TS Member

I know I have a lot to learn....but I have to start somewhere.

This will be my first "real" business and my first experience managing a trap club. Like I said, I am just interested in where to START learning.

3. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Nssf.org

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/sourcebook.asp

Good luck.

4. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

netminder

Hope you will overlook the smart a$$ remark by EE and succeed with what you want to do. Sent you a PM. Simplest way to get info you need is to contact the national organizations of trap, skeet and sporting clays. The will have the info you need to get going.

5. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Please, please, please remember that the EPA plays a big role in the success or failure of your range. You will be required to satisfy their requirements, and I understand the fees can be astronomical. I've heard in California it can be as much as $500K for an EPA report.

We here in San Diego are suffering because our favorite range is closed due to lead escapement from the range boundaries. Of course, lead is not a favored subtance and hasn't been for years. But lead containment is a big issue, so keep that in mind when planning your range.

Bucko

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Just about everything you are looking for can be found by mashing on the above link. Once you are in there, click on "range resources".. Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

The "Public"?

Oh boy!!

Curt

8. netminder

netminder TS Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

This is great! I am exploring all of the ideas ya'll have presented me. I will keep in touch with those of you who have offered.

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Helping run a public trap range for our Parks Department, I could offer some insight on our operation and challenges you will need to anticipate. Please feel free to PM or email me and we can compare notes...

Good luck on your endeavor,

Jay Spitz

10. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

What is the Location you are looking at? State?

11. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Netminder: Never forget you are running a business and this requires special knowledge before starting. I would suggest college business courses with accounting and some cost analysis. Talk to a personal business loan banker you know and lay out a business plan and study.

Being self employed as a club owner takes on different concerns than running a club. I hope you get the job done and make it.

You've had what sound like good offers from existing club owners to help. Take advantage of them and go spend some time with them if you can

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Netminder, where are you located and do you have any money? I offer my help to you.

13. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

White Flyer would like a new customer. Call Phil and ask for his help.

SALES & EXPORT INFORMATION

Phil Murray
    National Sales Manager
    Central Region Sales
    & Export Manager

1300 Post Oak Blvd., Suite 680
    Houston, TX 77056

Attn.: Jan or Cindy

Phone:
    800-322-7855

713-626-1843

Fax: