1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on shot size for 20g pheasant hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by nsfwfor, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Heavy Hitter

Heavy Hitter Member

Shot size is dependent to how you are hunting and time of year. Been chasing pheasant for 2o some years in North Dakota. Back before having a dog I would use 4-5 all year long, now running behind GSP's and my first lab was a real close worker it has changed. First month of the season is 1 oz of 6's, usually first week of November it'll step up to 1 oz of 5's. After our first snow it's back to 6's until they get used to the snow again, they hold so tight the first few days after a good snow. December to end of the season it'll be a 1 oz 5 backed with a buffered copper plated 1-1/8 of 4's. All 2-3/4", have some 3" but that doesn't get used much at all.

2. Matt D

Matt D Member

As mentioned it can vary. If I had to pick one size to use day in and day out it would 5's. Make sure whatever you pick pattern good in your gun. Good luck.

3. Flingm

Flingm Member

We always used 1 1/4 oz of CopperPlated #6's in a 20ga Federal plastic hull 23.5 grains of BlueDot with
    one of those old Lage Uniwads that you can take the cushion out of the shot cup. We called
    them Nukes. They kill as far as you can see with a IC.
    Dale
    ps: Originally we used 24grains, not that it was to hot we just backed off to cut our costs.

4. SecondChance

SecondChance Active Member

Yep, 3" of 5's copper or Hevi-Shot in the other pipe and let'em eat!!!!

5. timh

timh Member

Copper 5 work! I watched a guy last week smash a shoot off target with a 20 gauge. Target was at least 75 yards. He was shooting 1 ounce of 5s at 1350.

6. Bart S.

Bart S. Member

6's in a Mod. good medicine no matter gauge.

7. pirates55

pirates55 Member

I use 5's when I'm in Nebraska, but I also use a modified choke