1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on shot size for 20g pheasant hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by nsfwfor, Dec 9, 2016.

1. nsfwfor

nsfwfor Member

I own a CSMC RBL in 20 g and am wondering whether #5 or #6 would be more appropriate for pheasants. Assuming SK and IC chokes are used. What do you guys use?

2. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

Wild birds or club birds,pointer or flusher ? Bill

Chance McCall thanked this.
  3. scoutmaster

scoutmaster Active Member

I suggest magnum 5's regardless whether wild or preserve birds.

SM

4. big kahuna

big kahuna Well-Known Member

Always loved 5's for pheasants.
    George

5. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

++ for using 5s. Regards, Ed

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

#4 or #5 if wild, 6s maybe OK for pen raised if you have good retrievers. Those wild roosters are tough, you need some punch to knock them down, if you don't break a wing they will just sail off over the hill and die a slow painful death. We did most of our pheasant hunting (in Iowa) with 26" IC bbls in 20 ga. Keep your shots in reasonable range ie 25\30 yards, 1oz of lead shot will do the job. Ross Puls

7. Dale R K

Dale R K Member

Our bunch has hunted South Dakota for many years. Like Ross stated above, the wild roosters are tough. My go to 20 gauge load is 1 1/16 ounce of copper plated 6s . The Citori patterns that load much better than 5s. Chokes are Imp Cyl and Mod, handles any shot I am capable of making. My favorite pheasant gun is a Remington 16 ga 11/48. Factory 1 1/8 th ounce loads are devastating on pheasants and sharptails. Dale

8. bthomp9

bthomp9 Member

I use 6's on pen raised birds and 5's on wild.

Cowboy Rick thanked this.
  9. Chance McCall

Chance McCall Active Member

We just finished a pheasant hunt in Illinois last Friday. We were hunting great habitat and the birds were a mix of wild and raised. We each got our six birds. Both of us are acceptable shots and experienced hunters.

I was using a Browning Citori, 12 gauge 26" barrel with some very old Federals 2 3/4 #6 shot; (no misses)
    My hunting companion was using a Beretta 20 gauge 28" barrel using the new Prairie Storm #5 shot. (lead) (one miss)

Most of my birds required only one shot. Two of his required a third shot from me to bring the birds down. (He hit all of them twice.)

Shots ranged from 25 - 50 yards.

for whatever help this provides...

10. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Well-Known Member

I have use both 5 & 6 shot in a 20ga and both work well. I did use a Imp choke early season and Mod chokes late season.

11. gun fitter

gun fitter Well-Known Member

inside of 40 yards anything will work. At 65 yards 6's in a full choke 12 ga will kill but I'd probably use 5's

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Good pointing dog and holding birds IC/MOD w/7 1/2's and then 6's. Flushing dogs, anything goes,....

Pen raised released birds?

Wild birds after the first couple weeks....12 gauge and 5's.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    Tom Strunk thanked this.
  13. sagepost2

sagepost2 Member

I use in my Beretta 303, 3in mag., #4 Remington Steel 1330 f.p.s.with a mod. choke.It puts the hammer on 'em wild or pen raised.You do your job it'll do it's job.

14. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

If your hunting wild birds, 5's in the right and baby Mag 4's in the left. Personally, your chokes are to frilly for me on wild birds. I use mod early, then full after first month. S by S or O/U skeet 2 and .030^.

15. SD Trap Family

SD Trap Family Well-Known Member

Same as pheasantmaster stated. Mod's to start the season and full after the first couple weeks. 5's is our choice for shot.

Bud

Hap MecTweaks, Tom Strunk, ganger and 2 others thanked this.
  16. dklees

dklees Active Member

Mod. & 1 oz 5s for your 20ga. SK will throw a huge thin pattern at 40 yds. Will be too thin IMO.

ganger thanked this.
  17. lightning20ga

lightning20ga Member

#5 plated

jmac_cope thanked this.
  18. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

I've killed a lot with 1oz #8's, out of a skeet bored 20ga, over a pointing dog, while hunting quail.

wolfram thanked this.
  19. wildcat

wildcat Member

Ic and mod with 4s you do not want to get in a foot race with a pheasant. Ron

20. nsfwfor

nsfwfor Member

Thanks for the adivce. Ive been shooting trap and sporting clays for a while now but just got into upland game bird hunting. So if I got this straight, #5's are fine but I should be using tighter chokes. Tighter still late in the season because birds are larger?