1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

advice on scales

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by HoosierHawk95, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoosierHawk95

HoosierHawk95 Member

I am a beginner reloader. I would like advice on a quality measuring scales for shot and powder from those of you who are experienced. Although I welcome all advice on this purchase, I am particularly interested in your thoughts concerning a balance beam type vs. an electronic scales. Thanks for your feedback.

2. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

Pact is made by the same people whomake RCBS scales. You can buy them from Midway.

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

The electronic unit is much easier and more efficient to use than a balance beam scale, The best electronic scale is PACT. Visit www.pact.com.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

I have had an electronic Pact scale for about six years and it still works great. I still have a balance beam just in case...Bill

5. Bridger

Bridger Member

My Pact is so old it is the battery operated model, it does not have an AC adapter. It has given me excellent service and I would buy another one without hesitation. The balance beam scales are very accurate and much less expensive but of course much slower. If you buy an electronic scale don't try and get by with an off brand inexpensive scale as you will probably regret it. If you can set up your scale in a draft free area you will probably get along fine with the electronic. You don't have to do as much measuring in shotshell reloading as you would for metallic cartridge so the balance beam will serve your needs if you want to keep costs down. While electronic scales can have problems, I had a balance beam that was inaccurate and that's when I went to the Pact.

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I got a really low cost one from Midway. I think it was a Frankford Arsenal brand. Works nice.

The digital ones are no more accurate than the balance ones, but they're so much easier to use.

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The electronic scales are infinitly more accurate than a beam scale, BUT ONLY IF YOU BUY A GOOD ONE. I suggest Ohaus. They are INTEP approved and won't be real cheap.

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

HoosierHawk95 My suggestion is until you are sure what you want for a scale. You might want to try the one that I have placed a link for above

You will be able to see if the digital scale is what you want then if you want to spend hundreds of dollars at least you know what you are getting into. JMO

Bob Lawless

9. HoosierHawk95

HoosierHawk95 Member

Thanks to all for the help and input. Your advice was exactly what I was looking for.

10. GD

GD TS Member

http://www.eabco.com/electronicpowderscale.htm

11. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

HoosierHawk95:

Any decent scale whether electric or balance beam is accurate to one tenth of a grain. The primary difference is ease/speed of use.

I have both types but rarely use the balance beam. As previously noted, electronic scales are INORDINANTLY faster and easier to use. Put the item to be weighed in the pan and the digital display shows the weight instantaneously.
    A person can accurately weigh samples as fast the samples can be placed on the scale.

With a balance beam, you put the item in the pan then fiddle with sliding beam weights and wait while the the beam swings back and forth. Weighing one sample takes approximately... FOREVER!

Some balance beam scales have magnetic dampers. Economy models don't. Both are still accurate to 0.1 grain but by using a unit with the magnetic dampers you can weigh a sample in about three minutes less than forever.

sissy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.