1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on returning to a pull trigger

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by HoosierHawk95, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoosierHawk95

HoosierHawk95 Member

A couple of years ago I developed a flinch with a pull trigger so bad there were times I could not even pull the trigger. I went to a release which solved my flinch issues, but I noticed call to shot timing was quick and I would release the trigger a little sooner than I should and shoot behind the target.

I began shooting skeet and sc's with a pull trigger without any problem. I have recently purchased a backup single barrel trap gun with a pull trigger and shoot it pretty well. I notice that I look at the target longer with the lead coming to me a little more naturally.

I am considering returning to a pull from a release.

Have others out there had an experience like this and were you able to return to a pull to see your consistency improve?

I am curious about thoughts on doing this.

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

If you're successful, we'll put you in the Ripley's Believe It Or Not museum in Hollywood.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

What Dick said. When I got my last new trap gun, I tried shooting it with pull triggers twice - you could have sold tickets for the show I put on walking forward off the pad and waving the barrel around.

Good luck!

Ed

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

500 terry jordan chart targets a week, 500 real targets too. Each week, every wee.k, die and come back as Phil Kiner, and you will have success

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I tried a release for several months and liked it, but after a mix-up between guns went back to a pull. Put the release in a pocket on the gun case 25 years ago, just checked, yup it's still there. Do I flinch, yes maybe once maybe twice in 50 shots on trap field, never on SC--skeet--hunting. Am I going to keep the release YES I never know when I might have to go to it. You will have to try then make that decision for yourself. Ross Puls

7. Butler

Butler TS Member

Best of LLLLLLLLuck Jim Butler

8. LI

LI TS Member

I went to a release a while back when I seemed to be flinching. While I shot well in singles and handicap with it, I really struggled with doubles. I shot it for a year and then had Krieghoff put the pulls back in on the advice of an All American that I occasionally shoot with. My flinches were cured by paying more attention to my vision, and not moving the gun until I see the bird. I have gone back to chasing the bird out of the house and the flinches seem to be gone. I much prefer the control using a pull trigger and my shooting has definitely not suffered as a result. I shoot heavier pulls @ about 3.5# + and 4.25#+ so the trigger goes off only when I want it to. (most of the time!)
    Larry

9. rsikole

rsikole Member

Good luck with that one. However, if you are like me you may need to learn for yourself rather than just listen to other shooters. I did. Twice.

Rob

10. notarget

notarget TS Member

On the advice of several old timers, I had release triggers installed in my guns and shot them for about 10 years. My scores did not improve significantly. I removed them when I took up skeet and sporting clays and did not miss them. There was nothing positive about my experience with release triggers except the use of a release-pull for trap doubles. I had no trouble changing back to pull triggers and found I could flinch with either trigger.

11. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Larry didn't mention that he broke 399 out of 400 in the State HAA Championship that was 200 straight Singles, 100 straight from the 27 and 99 in the Doubles all with the Pull triggers.

12. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

I went back to a pull trigger after shooting a release for many years. Took a little more concentration but it can be done.

Ed Fish
    Racine, WI

13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I shot a release when I bought a gun once with it in. I got used to it and shot alright. I then bought a different gun and shot pull trigger for maybe 15 years. Decided to try a release just for kicks. Shot it alright again, but noticed that I was much smoother when I again shot the pull trigger. The hard part is the first five shots or so, after changing back. It really takes some thinking right before you mount the gun. Always hold a high gun when going to a pull, from a release. Saves a possible repainting on the back of the house.

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The late great All-American Frank Little often said he felt the need to go to release after missing one or two targets per hundred from flinching. Most shooters can only dream about having Frank's ability to shoot Trap.

That said, if it's acceptable to spend your shooting career in low classes because of the inability to pull or release a trigger successfully so be it. Not everyone sees drastic improvement in their shooting skills after switching to release and many probably never should have. Therefore, switching back is a non-issue.

As far as top shooters shooting release and suddenly feeling the need to go back to pull-good luck-it won't happen unless you weren't a genuine flincher to begin with. The shooter originally posting likely has a trigger control problem with trying to shoot too fast a release. That is correctable by a quality gunsmith!!

15. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My first exposure to a release was with a KS-5 I bought used in 1989 that had the hook in it. One night shooting practice, I turned the trigger screws to engage it and shot one post with it. I thought it was the most insane thing a person could do to a gun.

Five years later, out of seemingly nowhere, I started flinching. I shot one trap at a club in a winter league shoot with no problems, broke a 24. On the second trap, I couldn't pull the trigger on the sixth target and five more after it, ending that trap with a 19. I shot another 50 targets practice and experienced the same thing on both traps.

Three nights later, I shot practice with the release. My first trap was a 14 and my second was a 24. It's amazing what the mind can adjust to when it knows it has to. I also found that the release smoothed my mechanics and I really enjoy shooting with it more than a pull trigger. The possibly odd thing is that I never begin to think about setting the trigger when shooting anything but trap.

Just the other day, some shooters at a club's rifle range and I were discussing release triggers for bench guns and I understand there are two gunsmiths that make them for Remington 700 actions.

And by the way, Phil Kiner now shoots release triggers.

Ed

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

My advice is if you return to a pull trigger shoot skeet or sporting clays. Shooting trap with a pull trigger can cause brain damage. This advice is supported by many of the posts above. HMB

17. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

Just wondering why you would even want to? You already know what a flinch does to you in trap and you report that you can use a pull trigger well in skeet and SC. So, it seems to me that you have the best of both worlds. Why mess with it? If I was a gambling man I would bet that you end up going back to a release for trap, but that's only speculation until you try it.

18. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

I went to release/pull just cuz I liked 'em. Shot them for 20yrs +/-, trap/skeet/sporting/flyers/whatever. But I noticed that there were too many guns just sitting there not being shot cuz I didn't feel like popping the $ for the mods. So I quit the releases.

And I'm nobody from nowhere and my scores are of no matter to me since I don't compete anymore. So it's still miss one or two a round release or pull and that is no prob for me. BUT I do get to shoot all the toys now and that is a def +. And for what it's worth standard Perazzi pull weights work fine and a field double I play w/ has reallllly heavy pulls and it is fine too.

I always feel like I could shoot better if I just would stick the releases back in the guns, but then I admit that it doesn't make any difference at all. If you're just playing then you might want to make sure you can play w/ all of your toys. If you're a serious competitor then I guess you just have to do whatever it takes to do that.

besta luck

Charlie

19. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Dave, that is not very nice to imply that release trigger shooters might shoot the trap house. I am against this practice. I did shoot the number off the traphouse , however, to avoid the house at Central KY Gun Club once.

Charlie

20. HoosierHawk95

HoosierHawk95 Member

Thanks to everyone for weighing in on my question. I can change the triggers in my gun from a pull to a release and back fairly easily. I am going to try going back to a pull and if it is not working stick with the release. I learn so much about trap shooting on this board; I was hoping for some expert opinions and I got what I asked for. Pretty much the way it works in life....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.