1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

advice on reloading for trap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bob radasch, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob radasch

bob radasch Guest

I know before I even write this that there will not be a correct or wrong answer and there will be lots of opinions. I reloaded 15 yeras ago -lots has changed since then.

I would like to start reloading again- mostly to save money while not compromising quality of shells.

I plan on using winchester AA hulls, with claybuster wads. Will probably go with Hodgen clays powder. final shell I want the fps to be between 1150-1200

After reading on several different web sites Im getting more confused on what is the norm these days with regards to shot size and amount of shot to load. 15 years ago it seemed like everyone did 7 1/2 shot 1 1/8 oz.

So the ????? Now that Im getting back into trap - are most using 8 or 8 1/2 shot?? Do you recommend 7/8 or 1 oz loads to reduce cost but still not compromise quality of the shell?

Thanks for any input

2. 5spd

5spd TS Member

Its a split between 7.5 & 8 shot. I use 8 shot from the 16-27 yrd line on calm days and 7.5 from the 20 yd line to 27 only ifs its realy windy. All mine are 1oz loads also at 1200 fps.

3. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Likely a 1 oz . load and winter/7 1/2 & summer 8s. Depends how cold your winters are. Likely 1 oz x 7 1/2 would be a good recipe. Years ago I used nothing but # 8s , then along came a deal on 7 1/2 shot.Well I changed to 7 1/2 pretty quick.

Joe Woods/Ontario

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Bob, it depends on what you think. Take the years ago 1 1/8oz 7 1/2 shot. Actually, I never shot that, I always used 1 1/8oz #8. Anyway, there are 394 7.5s of hard shot in that 1.25oz load. With a tight choke it is great for singles. With the tightest chokes and a quick shooting rhythm, it is good for 27 yard handicap. Since you brought it up, let's use that as a baseline.

394 pellets. Well, there are 410 #8 in an ounce. There are 429 #8.5 in 7/8oz. There is enough retained energy in each of these pellets to break a 40 yard plus target at even a MV of 1150fps.

So you have two options. One is decrease the shot size and the load weight to save money and recoil. The other is to shoot the max allowed, 1 1/8oz, and up your chances of a hit by using smaller shot sizes. On another thread I said the largest most effective singles pattern you can get is with 1.25oz, 8.5. with a PE of 95%. For long yardage handicap, I think 1.25oz of #8 is the ticket.

5. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

zzt- not to nit pick your post but did you mean 1.125 oz of shot? If not my sincere apologies!

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Bob, Its hard to know where to start for you. As you stated you are getting back into shooting, and I think that is great. As such I would think that #8 shot is fine for you at 16 yards and your more than likely short yardage handicap targets as well. I find that the one oz. load works fine for me. I like the lighter recoil and find no lost targets when I do my part at all. Alot of people will differ on this. It only saves you about $.30 cents a box difference. Now about your reloads. A fare number of shooters have had problems reloading the new HS Hull Win. with the claybuster wads. It will require one or two adjustments on your reloader to get the center to close in the center. Some like to use the Rem. wad. If you have the old style AA hulls you will have no probelems at all. As far as powder I too like Hodgdon's Clays powder. Some shooters here will try to get you to buy American and try the new Alliant Clay Dot powder. There take-off of Hodgdon's Clays powder. Alot of shooters like it. I have not tried it yet. Go to Hodgdon's website at Hodgdon.com and go though their reloading website and pick out the data that you like. Alot of shooters now will tell you use the Rem. STS Hulls so that you can use the Claybuster and a few other (clone) type wads. In other words aftermarket to help keep your cost down. Alliant also has a powder called Promo, this powder is good, and is the most econimical powder on the market. Claybuster is a good clone wad to use. You will find the primers are very expensive now. Alot of shooters are useing a Euro. made primers like Nobel Sport and Rio's. These primers have a larger outside diameter than American primers, but go into 12 ga. hull OK. Once used though you will have to use them for the life of the hull, because the hole now is bigger. I have used the Nobel Sport primers and they are OK if you keep the pressures of the shell up. But work poorly if you like a load with low chamber pressures. I don't like the Cheddite primers at all. To many people have had problems with them. The fireing pins like to go though the outter cap on the primer and the flash from the primer now gets into the breech of the gun and can burn off or damage the fireing pin. This does not happen to all makes of guns though. Bottom line is you might want to stick to Win. AA primers or Rem. STS primers. I hope I did not confuse you to much. Good Luck and don't forget to Break-em all. Jeff

7. bob radasch

bob radasch Guest

Thanks for all the input

One of the threads mentioned hulls and said some are now recommending the remington STS hulls. Another dumb question- I shot winchester store bought target AA shells yesterday- they were in a gray AA hull. 15 years ago I never saw these. Are they the same as the "old" winchester red AA hulls that was the reloading gold standard yeras ago??? Are they a good reloading hull??? If not I may need to switch my trhinking over to the STS hulls now before I start buying wads.

Thanks Bob

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've been loading 1 oz shells with #8s for at least 30 years and they have treated me well even at 26 and 27 yards. Then I brewed up some 7/8 oz of 9s for recreational skeet but later discovered they were lethal at the 16 yard line and first shot of doubles. 7/8 oz of #9s (512 pellets) now handles all my 16 yard, skeet, 1st shot of doubles, and a good number of sporting clays shots I consider close enough. The "weenies" have produiced about 1/2 of the 100 straights I've been able to get over the years at singles.

Point is, don't hesitate to consider 7/8 oz loads with 8.5s or 9s for singles and other close shots but I certainly don't recommend them for mid and long yards, where I go to 1 oz of 8s at about 1200fps; the weenies are even a bit faster due to the light payload. For every 1 oz load you use, you can consider every 9th shell to have a free charge of lead when compared to 1 1/8 oz; every 5th shell with 7/8 oz is free lead. As far as the rest of your ideas, Hodgdon's Clays, IMR 700X, and Red Dot will all handle those loads economically but the modern AA hulls are two piece with a seperate base wad that has caused trouble for some folks. The Remington STS, Nitro 27, and Gun Club hulls are far more popular.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

9. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

The new style AA hulls are a two piece hull now. The old hulls were a compression formed out of one piece of plastic tube.

There has been some cases of this new hull where the base wad separates and moves forward from the head. And sometimes the base wad leaves the hull and sticks in the barell.

I think it is because the hull with the lose base wad when reloaded some powder got behind the wad base. This is MHO not a statement of fact. But I do know of three barrels that either bulged or burst at my club alone.

The picture was posted on TS.COM a while back.

Be careful when reloading that the base wad are seated properly..

Rock

Jim

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Bob, About 5 years ago, maybe a little longer the machines that made the Win. AA hulls were replaced buy a newer machine. They wore out I guess. The new hulls made my Win. are a 2 piece hull, not the same as the older one piece hulls that set the standard in reloading. The old stlye hulls have a square box line around the printed AA. The new style hulls do not have this box line. If you reload on a Mec reloader, you should not have a base wad problems. The base in the inside of the hull is a seperate piece piece from the outter hull. Try some claybuster wads in them, I can get them to go in but have a problem with a hole in the center. Some have said this can be fixed by raising your pre-crimp and adjusting the finished crimp down a bit. Others use different wads. The new AA's will reload very well once you get it all worked out. I have more old style AA's and STS's than I can reload anyway, so I have not tryed to change anything. Win. has the same problem with the 20 ga. hulls as well. I was told by several shooters at my club who reload the 20 ga. to use the Rem-20 ga. wads. They are a bit more than the clone claybuster wads but will work OK. One good thing to note is you are suppose to get more reloads out of the new AA's than the STS's.But, I can't prove it yet. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Adding my $0.02, I would stay away from new AAs in general. Compression formed hulls are readily available, accept all wads and no monkeying around.

Winchester is a fine company, but they went cheap when they developed the new AA hulls by going to the 2-piece design.

Jay

12. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Bob: In my opinion, life is too short to reload AA hulls. The new AA hulls are a far cry from the old AA hulls you loaded years ago. Load Remington hulls and you will be better off. Gun Club hulls can be had free at local clubs; if you keep your eyes open. Reloading is an integral part of the shooting experience. Construct a "special" load or loads that you like and enjoy. You can't purchase these "special" loads at WalMart. Good Luck. Ed

13. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

If you want to save money (don't we all?) go with PROMO powder and Wolf 209 primers. Use 18 grains for all your loads, e.g. 7/8s, 1, & 1 1/8 oz. Typically, PROMO can be had for 15~20% less than most other powders, and the Wolfs are much less expensive than Win, Rem, or Fed 209s. Check out the prices at powdervalleyinc.com. I've used these components for thousands of rounds with no problems whatsoever. Besides, the 7/8s loads with 8 1/2 or 9 shot are a pleasure to shoot, and literally smokes clays back to the 23 yd line!

AndyH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.