1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

advice on reloader?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

i am considering reloading again. is it worth it now or is it cheaper to buy factory shells in bulk? If so what is the best reloader out there. thanks

2. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Opinions are all over the board on two fronts: 1) best reloader and 2) value of reloading vs. buying cheap factory shells.

First, reloaders: Mec, P/W and Spolar are the most mentioned units. I have used all 3, and just like cars, all will get you there. It is the ride, not the destination you buy with them. Mec probably loads more finished shells than all others combined. P/W has been doing it a very long time, and I love my 800+ and the finished product it makes. I had a learning curve with it after using a 9000G but once I understood the unit and it understood me, we get along just fine. Spolar is the Rolls Royce of loaders, a machined thing of beauty. If money is not an issue, buy Spolar, their hydraulic and their bench. I don't think you will be sorry. Mec will make a good finished product also, for a fraction of the Spolar costs. Again, it is the ride, not the destination, as they all will get to a loaded hull.

My personal opinion is reloading is part of the sport/hobby and I enjoy it as a past time. When the crimp is not just right, then I tweak until it is. You can tailor your powder, wad and shot amount/size until you find the one that works best for you. Confidence is a big part of the sport, and I have dialed in on the one I think works best for me. Do you save any money? Probably not enough (if any) to justify the expense.

Even in todays high prices, I stocked up on powder in Washington and lead in Oregon on my way back from Vancouver a couple of months ago. I makes my reloads about 3.06 a box for the balance of this year.

If you enjoy being hands on, and like the satisfaction of shooting your own work, then reloading is the way to go. Otherwise, do as some of my buddies do and they bring in a truck load of shells about once a year, and off they go.

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

While the money is a good motivation for reloading, being able to build a shell to your liking - IMO is just as important. All the progressive reloaders will get you to the same point and they are all pretty dependable.

Stick to a budget, limit your powder and wads to maximize cost efficiencies.

Jay Spitz

4. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

spolar it will be if i decide to reload again. thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.