1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on Purchasing a Beretta

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ks-trap-shooter, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ks-trap-shooter

ks-trap-shooter TS Member

Hello all, thanks for taking the time to look at my email. I love to shoot trap, but rarely have an opportunity to do so. My location and lack of knowing a lot of shooters in my area limits my ability to shoot all the time. I live in an area that trap guns are very uncommon and I rarely have an opportunity to try out different styles of guns. Recently I took a stand and chose to get back in the game after a 4 year hiatus, which was only after about a 2 year run, so still have a lot to learn. Recently, I bought one o/u gun and shoot it well. However I want another combo set. I am looking at a Beretta 680 2 barrel set with fixed chokes. I wanted a combo for a handicap, back-up, and if I shoot it well a potential shooter. After my life story, a couple of questions.
    1. Are the 680's good guns?
    2. What is a reasonable price for a 680 combo set?
    3. DO you think the o/u barrels are thick enough to have choke tubes installed?

Thanks for your time and future posts. Any other advice on these guns would be greatly appreciated.
    Ryan

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Ryan,

All of the 680 series (680,682,682X,686,687) are very well built. They can be had as either top-single or un-single combo's.

680 series combo's can be found in the $1,800.00 and up depending on what you want in a combo. I've seen some nice ones go in the $2,000.00 area on this site.

If choke tubes are a must in the O/U's then buy one with them already there.

The aftermarket is strong on these guns as there are quite a few around. Servicing is very straight forward as well. New hammer springs once a year!

ec90t

3. ks-trap-shooter

Thanks ec90t,

If I could find one quite a bit less than $1800 with fixed chokes, would it be worth buying and having the chokes installed?
    Thanks Ryan

4. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Welcome back KS, I just want to let you know that Beretta has 2 different chokes Mobile for the older 680 and 682 guns with the smaller bore and the optima for the larger bore barrels of the newer guns. This is also true with the automatics with that said I have not shot the new barrels with the larger bore off a 682 gold E but I am putting a set on a older 682 right now. I also plan to add the new unsingle barrel to make a combo set. The new unsingle barrels are not available from Beretta tail next year but as more are sold they will become available new and used. I have seen one for sale on here already. I'm sure the bigger bore barrels should kick less but my old 686 is a soft shooter but until you shoot them back to back it is hard to tell the difference. I found this out shooting a 1100 back to back with a Beretta 303 the difference was noticeable the 1100 was smoother I think it is the weight difference the Beretta is lighter with a aluminum receiver and weight makes a big difference in felt recoil.

5. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

1. Are the 680's good guns?
    2. What is a reasonable price for a 680 combo set?
    3. DO you think the o/u barrels are thick enough to have choke tubes installed?

1. Yes.
    2. Used? From $2K up to about $3500, depending on features/condition. Check the sites like GunBroker and GunsAmerica to get a better idea of the prices.
    3. Don't buy a gun that doesn't have choke tubes. Fixed choke guns are for guys who know exactly what they want/need.

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Ryan,

If you've found one that cheap, buy it before someone else does!

As far as the choke tubes, You could buy a used set of O/U's for about the same money.

ec90t

7. ks-trap-shooter

And most of the items from the 682's will fit on the older 680's correct? Or maybe with a little fitting.

8. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Already owned a 682 Gold E combo and bought a backup 680 combo unsingle advertised right here for just under $2000. Nice gun and very pleased with the deal.

9. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Ryan,

That is correct. About the only item(s) that won't interchange is some of the 687 stocks due to the side plates.

You are also correct about the fitting that may be needed. A gunsmith should be able to do that without any problems.

ec90t

10. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

All of the 680 series are good shotguns. Just make sure that it fits you, or it will slap you silly ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.