1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Advice on older Citori trap needed.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tacoma, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tacoma

Tacoma TS Member

Hi, An aquantance has a "mid 80's vintage " Citori trap he's looking to part with. It's 98%+ and have 32" invector barrels with two (IM & F) factory chokes. No mods. It has reportedly been shot little and stored a long time.
    I will get a chance to view/try tomorrow. Anything special beyond normal O/u checklist I should be aware of on this model?
    Would this be in the "acid gun" range?
    Would %950 be a fair price if as advertized ( and to my fit/liking.)?

Thanks for any input

Dave

2. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

At $950 I am thinking you may be paying a little for a friendship premium.

A similar gun has been for sale here locally for $850 for over a year with no takers.

3. OldGoat

OldGoat Active Member

Any quality O/U trap...like Citori...in great shape below $1,000 is worth it, especially if a case is included. May be Invector vs. Invector Plus which is a little more desirable. Regards, Ed

4. Tacoma

Tacoma TS Member

Thanks, very helpful

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Well-Known Member

Buy it!!

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Well-Known Member

Buy it!!

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Dave,

If I had a chance to buy a 98%+, 32", mid. eighties Citori Trap, for $950, I would snap it up in a heartbeat. I sold one a few months ago with a Browning Traditional Case ($120), in similar condition for $1300. I have bought and sold many Browning Citori's, and BT-99's. In my opinion, there is not any better trap guns out there for the money.

That later vintage will not have the "Salt" wood. For that price you will not find a better deal anywhere, for a better gun, period. Jon

8. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Good trap gun. Are you buying it to shoot it, use as a backup, or resell it? Not much meat left on the bone, as the American Pickers would say. Fair price for a keeper. Mark

9. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Stl Flyn,
    I was under the impression that only the superposed Belgium guns were salt guns? Did they also use that process on Citori's?? Thanks Jim W

10. Stl Flyn

Jim'

The Citori model did not come out until 1973 I believe. The O/U before that where Superposed. I believe the "Salt" guns where produced between 1966 and 1971, though not all included the salt wood. Some of those salt wood stocks where put on later guns as replacements and caused all of the confusion as to when the original stocks where the salt cured wood. Browning later replaced some of those stocks after they became a problem with non-salt cured wood. It is a mystery as to which guns would have salt wood and not. So, you are correct that the Citori's should not have "Salt" wood. Jon

11. esbshaw

esbshaw TS Member

Dave - I bought this "mid. eighties Citori Trap" earlier this year and was more than happy to pay the listed $995 + $35 shipping. I love shooting this shotgun and feel it was worth every nickle I paid for it. I bought a couple of the standard invector Midas Grade extended choke tubes from Midwest Gun Works, and I can't see myself ever needing to "upgrade" from this package!

esbshaw_2011_1012.jpg

esbshaw_2011_10121.jpg

12. az outlaw

az outlaw Member

Thats a Good deal on a GREAT Gun. I bought a Trap Combo from that era 3 years ago and enjoy shooting it alot. The old saying goes " an item is only worth what someone will pay for it" If you like it, and it fits, the price is GOOD.

Mark

13. Stl Flyn

esbshaw,

What I like about that particular gun, is that it has the wide knurled trigger. That was only applied as standard for a few years, late 80's to early 90's, I thought. Jon

14. Caribou woodland

Caribou woodland Member

Just try it before. My Citori O/U is 1984 fix full mod and is sooting 50/50.
    I just got a BT99 and is sooting 80/20 having a hard time to get use to sooting that hight.Try it if you like you have a gun for the all your life.
    Salutations
    Pierre

15. esbshaw

esbshaw TS Member

Jon - It has a "PR" date code in the serial number, which the Browning web site lists as 1987. However, I've heard that alot of the historical data on their site is not 100% accurate.

16. Tacoma

Tacoma TS Member

Thanks again, great info and eyecandy. I shoot a BT99 now for trap and do as well as I can expect for the once a week that I shoot. ( 22-25 regularly) I also have several other "capable" guns for trap and clays. Just interested in a new toy for back-up/switching off/ doubles etc. ( OK, and itch scratching). Was looking at a Citori trap plus (95% $1300) but it has a stickyt lock-up and I'm not sure I'm a bells and whistles guy,The invictor plus is a nice feature but that rib and recoil absorbing mech on that one looks fragile/troublesome.

17. Stl Flyn

esbshaw,

That would be about the first year. They went until the Special Trap came out, then they had adjustable, sets of triggers included. Jon

18. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

Great gun, great price! Bought one new in the late 80's for $1300 on sale (reg $1600) and sold it in the early 90`s for $850. I still regret doing that, I would love to have it still as a back up gun.

Dave

19. tammike

tammike Member

It's the year for old citori's better buy it quick.

20. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Pm sent. Are you my any chance in Tacoma, Washington?? Please get with me. Thanks Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.