1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on lead reclamation

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by zzt, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Our club is considering having our lead shot mined by a reclamation company. We did some detailed computations and find that shooters at our club have shot approximately 400 tons of lead since this was last done. The lay of our land is such that the lead is concentrated in a relatively small area. The company we have a proposal from proposed contract terms that can only be charitably described as a rip off.

I'd be very interested in you reclamation projects, the outcomes, and the proceeds. I'd also like to hear about what you had to do to restore the land, and what Ecobonding or other remediation of fines your local/regional/federal governmental agencies required.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and insights.

2. dynapro

dynapro TS Member

can you describe the terms and conditions of your initial "rip-off" proposal?

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Why don't you look up Big Springs Clay Targets in Tn and talk to the Club Owner? He is a frugal, scrupulous person, and has a company coming to mine his club. Trust me, he did his homework.

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Thanks Coach, I will.

Anyone else?

5. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I'm understanding from talking to one particular reclaimation co. that the club would get 40% ond the reclaimers 60%. Anyone else find this the norm?

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

6. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Jerry, in the instance ZZT cited, the club was to receive 35% of the first 100,000 pounds reclaimed and 45% of any in excess of that. The problem was they never mentioned what the basis of that percentage was. Is it the price of scrap lead? What is the price of scrap lead? Was it a percentage of spot lead? They omitted that vital fact from the contract.

Not only that but the club was responsible for any contingencies such as clean up, environmental concerns, permits and just about everything else.

So it's just not as simple as it first appears.

I will join ZZT in asking for any help in this matter since it's such a blind item and we are at the mercy of the company, at least in this instance.

Jerry Weger

7. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

The most simple method of determining what your percentage is is to have the reclaimer leave the shot with you. 55 Gallon drums full of it. Don't worry about spot prices etc. Go with volume. Scrap dealers are still not paying you nearly what the shot is worth anyway so you sell it back to your members at whatever price you see fit to sell it for and let them deal with washing it. Selling a 50# milk jug full for $25 and you will have people lined up to buy it dirty or not. 35% of 400 tons is 140 tons or 280,000 pounds. Thats 5600 50# jugs full. That's $140,000 at $25 a jug. Not bad. Best part is you don't have to deal with it or handle it much at all. It will be gone quick and you will have your $$$ right now. Washing and drying it takes time and effort. A 55 gal drum with a scale and a scoop next to it is all you need to sell it "Self Serve" style. If I could buy dirty reclaimed shot for remaking my shot out of right now, I would be all over it.

Jeff

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Jeff is right. I went through 2 55 gallon drums after 2 reclamation projects at our club and wish I had more.

Ours was taken from the lake that sits in fromt of our trapline. It does need to be washed, but that's not difficult.

And Graphite is available cheap at the John Deere implement dealer. 1 teaspoon per cwt is plenty.

You have to bear in mind there is a fuel surcharge these days. Our shot was hauled about 500 miles the last two times it was reclaimed.

I would want consideration for that when dealing with the miner. That way you whould get more lead.

It is doubtful if the peice is going to ameliorate any time in the near future, but you always have the option of hauling it or having it hauled to the smelter yourself if you have any left. (doubtful)

HM

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Thanks to all who commented so far.

Goldex, I had thought of retaining some of the shot for distribution just as you suggest; however, we do not have the facilities to store all of our expected "percentage" on-site.

10. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I was told by the reclaimer that he sells it at about .75 per pound. That is what he splits.

On a side note Ohio EPA says that if the lead is no health problem to humans or livestock it is not a problem....but they also couldn't tell me who makes that determination. I don't think that even THEY know what procedured must be followed/implemented. That was after I got transferred about 3 or 4 times as no one knew much about the "whole" procedure of lead reclamation from a shot fall area. VERY frustrating.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

11. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

zzt - Where is your club located? If on West Coast I can put you in touch with a miner and shot maker. We had our shot redropped and sold back to members. - Jim

12. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

We are on the East Coast, just West of Philadelphia, PA.

JB, your regulatory frustration is the same as mine. You cannot get a straight answer. Another thing that scares me is the Townships around our area sometimes make up rules as they go along. Plus, they use the permit process as a revenue raiser. The ifs surrounding the regulatory burdens are what scare me. We need permits, we need an environmental plan ($2,500), we must restore the land (to what condition?), we have have to ecologically bind the lead fines that result from the mining operation (really big bucks).

Jerry contacted some salvage operators and was told they would be delighted to sell him as many wheel weights as he wanted for 20 cents a pound. Purer lead would sell for 30 cents a pound.

13. eagles11

eagles11 TS Member

Resource Conservation Recovery Act applies to lead if it is not used in the intended purpose. Lead shot from a gun is, according to US EPA, the intended purpose. The recovery of same is acceptable to US EPA within some guidelines such as it has to be taken to a smelter or reclamation site. Keeping it at the club and reselling it has not been determined wither way but a strong case could be made that if properly protected from the elements it is ok. Keeping the reclaimed shot in good condition 55 gallon barrels should protect it for some time.

Just a few thoughts. Unfortunately we have some experience with this area.

Jack Burch

14. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Our Trap field is in front of a hill with woods and bedrock. Really bad background for shooters to track the birds. Anyway we've been toying around about mining are lead. We have never touched it since we've opened in 1925.
    Also all of our rifle, pistol burmes must be full of it. Very nervous to make a call on this topic. Aren't ya suppose to not only mine the lead but wash the dirt to totally clean the area. Big can of worms. Dave T.

15. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

ZZT check your email. I need you to call me.

16. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

There's a lot of good info at the EPA site.

17. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Jerry- trust me- the EPA knows

Reclaiming lead has nothing to do with bringing a gunclub to EPA standards

Gene

18. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Gene, if I only had to deal with the feds or the state, no prob. They are known quantities. In our neck of the woods it is the local regulatory authorities that drive you to distraction. They don't know spit about anything, so CYA squared is the norm.

19. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

20. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
gene sears lead reclaim
genesears company lead shot reclaimation
lead reclamation in pa
lead shot reclaiming companies
lead shot reclaiming companys