1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on how to buya gun on TS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ntgr8, Feb 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

I am buying a gun for $6000 plus. He wants the money, I want the gun. No money
    he won't send the gun. No gun I won't send the money. What do I do?

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

If you have a friendly banker, let the gun go there, you pay the banker, and you get the gun. Not sure if you can arrange that.

$6000 is a lot to lose, and the gun, if the deal goes sour.

Maybe you have to pass this one up.

WW

3. traedawg

traedawg TS Member

Meet if possible. Better then loosing the money.

Dawg

4. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I have purchased and sold several guns on here and other forums and have never had a deal go bad (knock on wood). The bottom line is you had better gain some trust to sale or buy over the net. I have learned some ways to check people out you mite say. I do have to agree that if I were selling a gun I would not send you the gun until all funds were in my hands and cleared. I only take USPS money orders for payment. I wish you much luck on your transaction and hope you get it worked out but it will be a lot easier for the gun seller to find a new buyer than for you to find someone who will ship you the gun before payment is received.

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Have the owner send the gun to an intermediate dealer like Bob Schultz. You will also send the check to Bob. Bob, or whoever you select will also act as an FFL. When Bob has both, he reviews the gun for quality and if OK, he then forwards the check to the seller and the gun to the Buyer. Obviously, you need to pay Bob or whoever you use for his time if he'll do it. You may want your check backdated a few days. If the gun is sent, it has to go to an FFL anyway.

You will still want a 3 day review agreement in writing from the seller. You are the buyer and must be satisfied with the process......or forget it.

6. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I CAN UNDERSTAND BOTH SIDES- HAVE THE SELLER EMAIL YOU A COPY OF HIS DRIVERS LISC-- YOU PROBABLY NEED THIS AT YOUR RECIEVING FFL ANYWAY- SO THEN YOU HAVE INFO ON THIS PERSON- SURE YOU CUD ASK FOR A BANK REFERANCE BUT A PERSON WHO HAS A $6000 GUN HAS PROBABLY DONE BUSINESS WITH A GUN DEALER- THAT WUD BE A BETTER REFERANCE IN MY OPINION

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    What state is the seller in? Maybe a trustworthy ts.com'er lives near him.

8. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

There is a way through your bank and the shipping company that works roughly as follows. Shipping company will not deliver to buyer until BILL OF LADING is presented to bank for payment. Freight company can not deliver if Bank has not sighned off as PAYMENT SENT AND GUARANTEED. You are assured of getting the shipment but no guaranty as to whats in it.

Shippers also work on a COD basis. UPS and Fed-X may both collect COD. It may be worth investigating. But still no guaranty as to whats in the box.

The bottom line is: If trust can not be developed between buyer and seller you may open yourself up to disappointment if not financial disaster. I have bought several items and sold a few, guns included, from this site and all went well. I did take the time to call and talk with seller(s) first.

If the deal seems too good to be true be careful.

Good luck, Marc

9. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Jeez just post who your buying from we will tell you if you can trust him.
    6000.00 is not a lot of money for a good trap gun anymore! Bill

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

ntgr8, I bought a BT-l00 on this site some time back and it worked like this. He sent the gun COD to my local FFl. I gave a Bank Cet. Check to the FFl. When gun was delivered to my FFl he went though gun OK it and gave Check to the Fed-ex driver. This was for a gun worth less than l/3 of your gun. You need to really know and trust a local FFl dealer to do this. It will be him/her that will make a quick call on gun before he hands check to driver. Both sides will have agree in advance. Good LUck and Break-em all. Jeff

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Bill has the right idea... The regulars here know who is who.. The problems come in.. when someone chimes in on the board no one has ever heard of..

The reality of it is.. would you call Tiffany..and say ..'send me a $6,000" ring.. and I'll pay you after I get it????

I can assure you..I would not send out anything.. until its paid in full.. Now.. to my friends I know here.. They'd get it.. and when fully satisfied.. send me a check..

12. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

The gun is the Caesar Guerini Magnus that Clayshooter08 had posted. Anybody
    had any dealings with him?

13. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Setterman
    What makes you think any dealer would like to get in the middle of this . On one hand you have a seller that needs his money first (really) on the other hand a new to the net buyer that is being real careful .

Just don,t buy you will not be satisfied and it is not worth the worry . Go to a dealer pay alittle more look at the gun play with it pay and go home .

You are not ready to jump into buying trap guns on the net . When you learn the in,s and out,s inbsay ten years come on back .

There are some very good people on this site . But in the last year alot of new names ??

14. radeck

radeck Member

I’ve bought a gun here on TS and sold a few more. I just sold an OU gun to a fellow in another state as a result of my posting here. He had his FFL send me a copy of their license with the business address to ship to. I was willing to take a personal check and wait for it to clear, or a cashier’s check and a quick ship. He choose a cashier’s check which I received yesterday afternoon. Yesterday evening I was down at the FedEx store getting his gun shipped out 3 day air. It will be there by Thursday as there is no pick up on the weekends. I left a message with my buyer this afternoon giving him his tracking number. A copy of my driver’s license was enclosed with the gun for the FFL records. He has a 3 day inspection period. Here's to a beneficial transaction to both parties.

15. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Internet sales normally require receipt of payment prior to shipment of the item whether it is on this site, Ebay or others. I have bought and sold over 50 guns and gun related items on TS.com in the last year. I make it a practice to call and talk to the buyer or seller. Every transaction has been flawless. The guys that have a track record on this site are absolutely first class.
    Rick ~~~Texas

16. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Alf, I have actually done it that way a couple of times. And, yes I know my FFL guy very well. I can only expect him to check out the exterior cosmetics and the bore. Maybe snap some caps and make sure the ejectors work, and let me know if there are any outstanding noticeable issues.

Remember, I still get 3 days to finally decide when I actually put my hands on the gun too.

It forces the seller to make the buyer aware of any deficiencies before the gun is shipped, or he's wasting his time

17. dimapower

dimapower Member

Search by sign on name. You'll see what he has posted.

In the short time (3-4 months) that I've been on TS.com, I've sold several guns (including a CG Magnus combo for too cheap) and have purchased several guns (MX2000, DB81, Beretta 303) and many parts. I've even had someone ship me a $2500 P barrel without taking payment. He told me to try it out. If I like it, I'll send him a check. Everyone so far has been great to deal with. "Interview" the person then make the call.

Jon

18. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Don't do it, you'll be sorry.

19. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Not beign critical... But one of the big (BIG) benefits of buying a CG is that they are cheap enough to buy a new one. Buy a new one.

20. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Ask the seller to agree to send the gun to your FFL, on these conditions:

1. the FFL may exhibit the gun to you

2. the FFL may not give you possession of the gun until he has received a certified or bank check payable to the seller in the amount of the purchase price, which the FFL will send immediately to the Seller.

3. If the FFL does not receive a check from you by a specified date (or if you reject the gun) the FFL must return the gun to the seller, freight prepaid.

4. You will pay the cost of the return shipping if you don't buy the gun.

If this is agreeable to the seller and your FFL, have your FFL send the seller a letter agreeing to the above, enclosing a copy of his FFL license and stating that you have given the FFL sufficient funds to pay the return freight.

I would think that if you follow these steps the seller would feel comfortable that the FFL won't risk his license by engaging in fraud or dishonesty and that the seller will get his gun back if you don't pay for it. You get a chance to see the gun before you pay for it, so everyone should wind up where they want to be.

Ted K.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.