1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on headphones - ear protection

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by silverado, Aug 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silverado

silverado TS Member

My better half is going to start shooting and cant wear earplugs, therefore headphones are the option. Can some of you give me some idea of who makes a good pair, and where to get them? Thank you.

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Pelto make several nice shooting muffs. I particularly like the behind the ear type because it doesn't interfere with a hat.

Make sure you get a low profile pair, or a pair with relief on the bottom of the cups. Otherwise your gun mount may displace the ear muffs. Any sporting goods store should have some. Also Gamaliel and other on-line retailers offer them.

3. TC

TC TS Member

Whitebear,not trying to get too personal, but why can't she wear earplugs?

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Whitebear, I too think IT would be better if she wore plugs. Get the yellow throw away and toss them when she is done for the day. You can't get headphone style to work properly with a shotgun. At least I can not. The yellow will work better than all the headphones up to the 125 at least. If she has problems with the plugs being to small(a good friend of mine did) just go over to your closest drug store and in the ear care section they have some plugs you can wear to sleep. They are make your own size, and mold to your ear. I think you can get them for about 5 dollars for like 8 sets or something like that. The NNR on these are still very good. Better than most headphones. Best of Luck. And Break-em all. Jeff

5. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Whitebear: What ZZT said; except the name is Peltor. I have discussed hearing protection with a doctor that specializes in hearing problems. He maintains that it is not only important to protect the eardrum itself but to protect the hard bone that is located behind the ear. This according to him also is an important part of the hearing process. Ear plugs will not protect this bone. Muffs along with ear plugs gives one the most protection. Take it from someone who has a hearing problem; what you lose cannot be brought back. Ed

6. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Whitebear, the best protection is both. The Peltor is a good muff, and you could order a set of self-molding plugs from Cabelas. You should really visit the NIOSHA site and get a real feel for the types of hearing protection offered from the various manufacturers. They spec both passive and active, and several different types of plugs.

I don't have a lot of use for the government beaucracy, but they did an outstanding job on this site.

Here's the link: http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/noise/

Best,
    Dennis

7. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

After the first 2 times that I left from the club with my shooting side ear ringing, I decided I was going to get serious about ear protection. I use the Peltor back of the head shotgun muffs with foam earplugs underneath. Here's what I have learned.

The muff can be hit by the stock occasionally and move it just enough to catch the sound. Plugging underneath doubles the coverage and prevents the blast if the muff moves.

I was never very satisfied just using foam plugs. They worked most of the time but I wanted more.

I had a pair of molded plugs made for me at our state shoot. They fit great most of the time, but sometimes when I would mount I would feel the slightest hole open in the ear canal(pulling on the skin around the jaw).

Now I just shoot with foam plugs and Peltor muffs. One thing. I have worn a spot on the top of 2 stocks at the back of the adjustable comb. I've decided it's the price I pay to keep my hearing and eliminate that dreadful buzzing in my ears.

john

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I've had problems with different types of hearing protectors, just as many of you report. I first tried to use my Walther ear muffs. They have a great dB reduction, but were so bulky I couldn't mount my gun without displacing them. I tried several others, including the electronic type, but in no instance was i able to count on protection. Even the slimmest were occasionally displaced by my gun mount. I think using a sporting stock instead of a parallel comb stock would allow me to use muffs.

I also tried the 29dB disposables. They are too soft and applying cheek pressure to the comb would partially disrupt the seal and let noise in, especially when it was hot and I was sweating.

I was reluctant to try the molded ear plugs, because i heard so many bad things about them. They don't work well. They are expensive and only last a season. They are not comfortable. Well, I'm fortunate in that I live 40 minutes from the firm that makes the plastic and systems everyone uses to make the molded earplugs at shoots. They have experts on staff to "train" vendors. So, I made an appointment and went over. I'll say that after two full years of hard use, there is no wear, they are so comfortable I forget I'm wearing them, and I get approximately 36dB of attenuation while wearing them. I'm quite happy with them.

9. TC

TC TS Member

ZZT, "I get approximately 36dB of attenuation while wearing them." That is really good. How did you get such good results? I haven't been able to get anyone I've tried to certify a db reduction.

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Hearing damage is one of those things that sneak up on you. First sign you haven't had sufficient protection is, "huh,whudidya say?". Use the best you can find if you want to preserve your hearing!

Just an observation I learned early on using muff style protectors. If the banging noise between the muffs and comb bother you, you have a gun mount problem and or an improper move at a moving target. The muffs will tell you instantly if your pushing or pulling the gun with the leading hand! The comb will bang on the muff which a lot of shooters can't stand. They make the same move with in the ear plugs but aren't aware of it. I like muffs and in the ear plugs. Good muffs can teach you something in addition to protecting your hearing. Hap

11. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

TC, no one certifies them. They cannot, because they were all different. Using expanding foam earplugs with a 30dB attenuation rating as a reference, my custom molded ear plugs reduce the level to about 1/4 as loud as with the foam plugs. that's 6dB. It's an estimate only, but I'm very conversant with acoustics and good at estimating sound levels in the 30dB to 70+dB range. If I'm off, it's conservative and the reduction is even greater.

Referenced another way, with 30dB foam plugs properly inserted I can hear all the conversations going on behind the 27 yard line (when shooting singles). With the custom molded plugs I cannot. I also almost never hear the scorer, or the shooters call from Post 5 when I'm on Post 1. I'm actually toying with the idea of drilling a .050" hole through the left one so I can hear what is going on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.