1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on having Wenig dupliciate a stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by perazziboy1, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perazziboy1

perazziboy1 TS Member

Looking for anyone that has had wenig duplicate a stock for them and how it turned out. I need to have a new stock built becuase the old one is cracked beyond repair. Wondering about turnaround time, any fit issues after new stock was made etc. I have called wenig, and they have been very helpful, just looking for some "real world" experiences. Thanks Steve

2. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Had a stock on my Ljutic that had adjustable comb and but plate. After getting the gun to shoot(adjusted) the way I wanted, Elbert took the measurements from that stock and made my new stock. Worked out perfect. This was done in Vandalia and I had the chance to shoot the gun for 2 days before they took it back to MO. to finish.

Scott

3. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

It really depends on what kind of gun and what you mean by duplicate. Unless you visit your stockmaker during the production of your new stock I can guarantee that it won't fit like the old one. best to get the stock produced over sized and work it down to final dimentions then have it finished or visit a stockmaker who you can have contact with during the process.

It is my understanding that Wenig is under new managment and thir prices have gone up. From what I have heard Fred will be gone later this year and they no longer have a really qualified gunfitter for shotgun stocks.

Joe

4. perazziboy1

perazziboy1 TS Member

Looking for anyone that has had wenig duplicate a stock for them and how it turned out. I need to have a new stock built becuase the old one is cracked beyond repair. Wondering about turnaround time, any fit issues after new stock was made etc. I have called wenig, and they have been very helpful, just looking for some "real world" experiences. Thanks Steve

5. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Had a stock on my Ljutic that had adjustable comb and but plate. After getting the gun to shoot(adjusted) the way I wanted, Elbert took the measurements from that stock and made my new stock. Worked out perfect. This was done in Vandalia and I had the chance to shoot the gun for 2 days before they took it back to MO. to finish.

Scott

6. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

It really depends on what kind of gun and what you mean by duplicate. Unless you visit your stockmaker during the production of your new stock I can guarantee that it won't fit like the old one. best to get the stock produced over sized and work it down to final dimentions then have it finished or visit a stockmaker who you can have contact with during the process.

It is my understanding that Wenig is under new managment and thir prices have gone up. From what I have heard Fred will be gone later this year and they no longer have a really qualified gunfitter for shotgun stocks.

Joe

7. perazziboy1

perazziboy1 TS Member

the gun is a perazzi DB81 and the pistol grip has a huge crack from top to bottom. it has been reglued but the crack keeps opening up, so i would like to get a new stock duplicated. thanks for the replys steve.

8. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

My wife and I spent the day at Wenig last year for her stock. Unless everyone leaves with Fred there are about a dozen very qualified people working there. Jimmy(25 years +-) made her stock and it fits perfect...
    Only a PFS would keep us away !

ernie

9. Tom @ Athens

Tom @ Athens Member

I was at Wenig last week. Fred is gone but the same stockfitters are there. Duplicate stocks are not done by the gun fitters anyway.Duplicate stocks start out on the duplicating lathe and are finished by very skilled woodwokers. They have done many stocks for myself and my friends,both fitted and duplicated. All were great. Any stock you send to have duplicated will be a mirror of the original measurements. I did miss Fred though.
    Tom

10. Mdl1261

Mdl1261 Member

A couple of yrs back I had Fred do one for me on a Model 12.It was a Fajan roll-over .They did a perfect dupl. .When I put it back on the gun the fit and lop was exactly like the org.one . I took it out that night and won 3 annie games with it. I just sold that gun about 6months ago wish I had that stock back .Dont worry Wenig does FINE WORK !! Dont believe in the naysayers believe in facts Idid I was VERY happy

11. Champion II

Champion II Active Member

Jimmy did one for me.....you talk about exact!!! Great job!!!

12. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

As mentioned above, you need to be careful of your terms. When people say "duplicate" they are talking about what is basically a panagraph router. A machine that will carve out the basic dimensions of a old stock into a blank of wood. Wenig is excellent at this but they are not the cheapest. The end result is NOT a fully and finely inletted and shaped stock. Its a duplicate ready for the stock maker to finish.

If what you want is a finished stock to the exact dimensions of what you have, Wenig will do this with excellent results also.

Yes, I have used Wenig for duplication services and have a number of friends who have gone there and have high quality and well fitting custom stocks made by them.

Something to keep in mind, however. If what you want is EXACTLY what you have, then disregard the following. However, for a custom stock to be made, most people over look the fact that they need to KNOW a proper and repeatable gun mount and stance. The wood follows from the mount and stance and while a stock maker can try to guide you in this, it is better if you already are an experienced shooter and know exactly how you want the gun to fit when in a stance you plan to continue to use.

Cheers

Stephen

13. perazziboy1

perazziboy1 TS Member

thank you to everyone who responded to this thread. i have decided to have wenig make my new stock for me. i will send an update when i have the finished product. To Baron23 thanks for the advice, yes i have a good gun mount and i am sure my stock is very close to optimal, i have been shooting for 9 years and i am A27A/AA. I break 3-4 100's a year and have broke 200 with the current set up on my gun,so im pretty sure the stock fits. thanks again steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

turn around time on wenig stock