1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on gun for a shooter new to trap...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MiamiAttorney, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MiamiAttorney

MiamiAttorney TS Member

Hey all,

First time poster, long time lurker.

I just introduced a shooting buddy to trap and he's hooked. He wants to get an o/u and has asked me to help him find one, but I really know nothing about o/u's, so I could use some of the tons of expertise that seems to be floating around here.

He'd like to spend less than $1,000. He's about 6'4, although I don't know if that matters. I have an A390 ST with a moneymaker barrel, rib, and stock, and he shot that well but he found it very heavy after a few rounds. I'd like to find him something that would allow him to try skeet and sporting clays if he wants to go in that direction, but I suspect he'll stick with single trap for a while.

I think I'd like to find a reliable gun within his range that has some adjustability in the stock and is either very light or a single or unsingle. Is that possible in his range? Or should I be looking for something else entirely?

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have,

Max

2. SONO MAN

SONO MAN TS Member

Max, I always heard from other shooters to try to shoot as many guns as you can before deciding which gun to buy. As for getting a trap gun within $1000, probably he will have a good chance finding a BT99 in a very good condition for this kind of money. Good luck, Peter.

3. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

I would say his best chance is to poll the TS forum for a used SKB o/u. I'm not sure what you will find, but it's worth a try?

And have him checkout the guns at the Jaquas to get an idea what he wants.

My 2 Cents,
    TNCoach

4. macgyver

macgyver TS Member

Sono Man has the right idea. Your shooter will never know what he wants til he shoots as many different guns as possible and I'd get him to hold off as long as possible until he sees the effects of recoil. He may discover the gas gun is the way to go or he may go the BT 99 type route. I started with gas, went to an XT and then back to gas. Age and vision may play a key role in which gun to choose. Whichever way he goes, make sure he finds someone who knows how to fit the gun to his 6'4" frame and shooting style.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.