1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on crossfire fin

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bob lowman, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob lowman

bob lowman TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have a friend that would like to here from some shooters about weather the crossfire fin helped you with your shooting or if you used anything else to help.

Thanks for any comments, he will reading this thread -- Bob Lowman

2. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I had a mild cross firing problem and used the fin as instructed on the packaging. It solved it for me. Others may have a more serious cross firing problem which may require more drastic remedies up to completely blocking out the offending eye.

JMAC

3. sundogs8

sundogs8 Member

The Meadows Industries Variable Sight worked for me. The owner of the company recommended the sight over the fin (his company makes both). This sight took care of the cross-firing problem for me and have them on all of my shotguns - target and hunting.

Keith Rich

4. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

The crossfire "fin" is the first stop on this trip, it will help, but might not be the single answer to the problem. I fight a crossfire each and everytime I shoot.

Matt Nicol

5. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

ok, now how many of you look at the beads while focusing on the target? I've used them, but they made absolutely no difference, since I'm not looking at the bead anyway. If it was an aimed/rifle shot, then it makes sense.

Just my 2 cents worth...

WNCRob

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The idea is cute but it has no effect on cross-eye dominance. If the off eye is dominant without the fin it will still be so with the fin.

Keller

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

The "Fin" is merely a gimmick. It's only good for the aiming point...when looking for the target a good shooter will not be looking at the barrel.

A more simple fix is to occlude the offending eye.

Curt

FEAB9

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

They work just fine.

9. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I also believe the fin or hooded fiber optic front bead will help a lot for occasional crossfiring problem but probably will not work for cross dominance and severe crossfiring. The fin only prevents the off shoulder eye from noticing the front bead in peripheral vision. With the fin or hooded fiber optic front bead you can hold a higher gun over the trap house and still have the advantage of seeing through the gun with both eyes open. The Magic Dot and tape patch of varying sizes will occlude a large area of view and effectively makes you a one eyed shooter for practical purposes. You should hold a lower gun with the patch.

10. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

I dont usually use the beads. The addition of the "fin" will help, but for me it helps when, I mount the gun and then discover I dont "see" the beads through my right eye. This is when the off-eye has taken over, and I need to do things to get the right eye back in the game.

I know this all sounds crazy to those who have never had this issue. It is frustrating at best, but can be dealt with and shoot well at times. There are even times when someone with a cross-fire issue can shoot very, very well.

Matt N.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I use the following exercise to get the shooting eye back in the game.

From post 3 with the machine locked on straight aways shoot 4 targets with your left eye closed ( right hand shooter ), shoot the 5th target with both eyes open.

Next shoot the first 3 targets with left eye closed, targets 4 & 5 with both eyes open.

Then 2 and 3, 1 and 4, and finally the last five with both eyes open. If you break the last five, you are cured. HMB

12. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

I put one on my 682 combo and it helped.

Doc

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Both Deb and Kay Ohye use one on their guns but what do they know!!

14. racer

racer TS Member

The Ohye's are probably heavily sponsored by the fin company or they would never use them ..... :)

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Actually Kay made his own and then one for Deb!!

16. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Kay Ohye mentioned the Crossfire Preventer Blade in the 1st edition of his book over 30 years ago. He thought it would be difficult to get a patent for such a simple thing. A few years ago at the Western Grand, I asked Kay why he used the fin and his answer was that if it saved him one target it would be worth it. I believe Phil Kiner also uses one for Skeet.

17. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

One seen here also.

[​IMG]

18. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

They never helped me one bit. Just gave my off eye something big to look at. The other problem that a fin does not solve is the fact that your off eye will sometimes focus on the bird rather than your shooting eye..of course a finn is no help there...SMOKIT

19. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

As you can see, it also serves the same purpose as the 'shark fin' on the current NASCAR cars, it creates downforce, reducing recoil...

20. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Gives ya a place to put some advertising!!

Keller

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.